Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Question for Patriot lovers

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Question for Patriot lovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 06:16 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Patriot lovers

I have a retired friend who builds fantastic planes.
He loves to build because it gives him something to do during the day.

He is finishing up a Patriot for me now and he has done an incredible job and pretty quick too, even added some re-enforcement here and there.

He is thinking about making up a few of these at a time and selling them ready to cover. He doesn't know what to charge though.
What do you guys think?
Price including the kit cost for a Patriot framed and ready for radio, engine and covering?

Let me know if any of you guys are interested.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:44 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question for Patriot lovers

ORIGINAL: Shok

Let me know if any of you guys are interested.
......uhhhhhhh......yeah! Would love to see some pics Ron.

Of course, you post this the DAY AFTER I received a Patriot ARF I found online.....go figger. LOL

I would of preferred an "ARC" instead, but still could buy one and put away for a rainy day.

Any idea on price? What kind of time does he have in yours?

If they're reasonable, put my name on one!!

Gary
Old 02-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Shok

I will get some pics this weekend.
He had mine framed in about a week with retracts installed.

Im trying to figure the price, any ideas how much its worth to the Patriot lovers?
Old 02-25-2004, 06:48 PM
AirGar

Hey Ronnie,

I forgot to ask...how is he doing the "cowl"? See....pics would be nice....
Old 02-25-2004, 06:50 PM
Shok

I'll have to get pics
Old 02-26-2004, 07:35 AM
Stormovic
My Feedback: (29)

I just finished one. I have been building for 30 years and I would not touch one of these for less than two or three hundred bucks just for labor. There are probably 80 hours or more to get one of these built . The Patriot is no overnight project. The best deals in the hobby today are the ARFs that are avialable to us. The people that put these together must be working for nearly nothing.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:21 AM
Skribnod

I agree woth stormovic , these kits do take a while to put together. You said he had it framed up in a week? Dang thats a lot of hours building every day. I completed mine in about 3 weeks from start to finish including covering it too. I worked on mine every day for quite a few hours just to finish it that soon but I am not the fastest builder either. The patriot in my opinion is a touchy kit to get together properly and needs a lot of patience and attention to build them straight and correctly. I wouldnt sell mine for under $250 for all the labor I have in it either. Would like to here more on what he would charge for one. Keep us informed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77871.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	105145  
Old 02-26-2004, 08:26 AM
Q-Ball
My Feedback: (1)

I don't find the Patriot that hard to put together.Time consuming yes,difficult no.This is my second one and the first one went pretty smooth.A couple of head scratching moments,but with the help of the guys on here,it went well,so the second one should be easier.
I've built planes and sold them and was later told that I sold way too cheap.With the price of ARF and ARC's,it's difficult to get what it's worth in time. I guess if he's doing it just to have something to do,it's up to him.
The price of the Pat is $89 I believe.Guys at the field have told me that when they build for someone else they automatically add $200 for the labor (or more). I guess the thing is that I like to build and I won't pay $289 for a plane.Built or unbuilt.This fixed income thingy really sucks.
All in all it's what he can get for his time.
If you find out how much he charges for a built Patriot,let us know.
Thanx
Walt
Good Morning Gary
Old 02-26-2004, 08:48 AM
AirGar

Hey Walt...waaasup Buddy?

Something to think about Ron,

The Direct Connection ARC F-20 sells for $150, which includes all the hardware, fuel tank, etc.. Spinner is not included, however, they do offer an aluminum one for another 10-12 bucks.

If your friend builds these, what kind of hardware configs, motor apps is he going to build around. And I guess we could also assume that no hardware would be included at all?

If that's the case, the actual costs for him would be the lumber (minimal), and labor ($?)...only. Bottom line is, his labor/time for each one, and how much he wants to make.

Personally, I feel a 40 size ARC (short kit) should sell in the $125 to $200 (max) range.

Would love to see the Patriot offered in ARC form, but you must keep in mind what's available for today's modelers, and at what prices.

Gary
Old 02-26-2004, 11:35 AM
Dave03B

I bought my Patriot from a bloke, who'd built it, covered it and painted it. I bought it off him for £50 (approx. $80) The plane hadn't been flown, was superbly built!!! A good buy for me!!!!!!
These planes are great! I've always wanted one but am not a kit person really. Prefer flying than building at the moment, have always wanted a patriot, bhut was put off by the fact that they're kits..... ARTF's that you are kind of talking about would be great for people like me!!! (former me)

Price????...... I'd pay around $180 tops,?[sm=confused.gif]

Pricing, not really my field[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 02-26-2004, 12:22 PM
Shok

Yeah like I said, he's retired and does nothing but build all day long.

I will talk to him more today, but Im thinking price wise 170-190 range plus shipping.

Knowing him, that would include the tank setup and control rods ready for servos.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:34 PM
AirGar

Ronnie,

I think you guys would be better off to offer these without hardware, as most guys that get to this level of flying (including myself) would rather make their own linkages, horns, etc..

A tank would be nice, or at least design it around a common tank RC'er's could find at their LHS.

Have you thought about an instruction book, or illustrations?

No torque rods........right?

Look forward to the pics....

Gary
Old 02-29-2004, 07:14 PM
Q-Ball
My Feedback: (1)

Gary,
You mentioned short kits earlier.There's been a number of short kits that I thought I was interested in.Due to the price of some of these,I've never gone that route.Would not know what to expect to receive at the door.

For instance: RCATS Tusamni.Short kit.$249?? You gotta be kiddin'. I really like the looks of this thing.A real head turner,but 249? From what I understand a short kit just has some ribs mainly and I really don't know what else. So for 249,I find that high for ribs and whatever.Even a full kit at 249 I would concider that kinda high unless your talkin big burds.The DC F-20 is a still at $150 for a quality ARC.So look at that difference between a Tusamni (short) and a full blown ARC for 150. Something don't figure..What am I missing????
Maybe someone can enliten me.
Later
Walt