Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

stupid speed questions

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

stupid speed questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 02:43 AM
themanimal
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid speed questions

ok, so I have been flying sport planes for several years, am steadily building my 3d skills but I kind of realized what I really want to do is go fast. The kind of fast that when you do a low speed pass people say "holly Sh$T" what was that.

SO I'm thinking that a shrike should be my first speed plane because they are cheap and easy to build. Most likely a shrike 10. So which engine should I get for this? I have read posts talking about MVVS 25's, rossi's and some other engines that I honestly have never heard of. I wouold want something pretty hot as I am a solid flyer and I don't always have to fly it full speed.

Now for the really stupid question.. Do you guys break your props off on every landing? It seems that deadstick landing are going to be required for this plane.

Thanks for any tips... I should be ready to hang it all out by the time the weather gets nice again.

cheers,
Brian
Old 03-10-2004, 09:09 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: stupid speed questions

No, you dont break the props on every landing :-)
Just make sure when you install the prop, that it is horizontal against the compression stroke on the engine.
When the engine quits, the wind should hold the prop in that position.

But it is not 100% reliable.....so buy a few extra props [8D]
Old 03-10-2004, 11:21 AM
themanimal

Ah haaaa, so that's how ya do it. Thanks a bunch!

I am currently looking at a MVVS .21 and the .26 wombat combat. Is there much difference between these two motors? From what I hear these motors really scream and are pretty inexpensive as well.

One more question. I am used to flying 40 and 60 sized planes. Do you think I will have a hard time seeing the .10 size? how about when it's doing 100+ MPH?

Thanks again for the help guys.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Q-Ball

Bandit,
Why don't you go ahead and get a 40 size Shrike?? You could use the engines you have on it.I had a MVVS 49 on one of mine and if you want speed,you got it.I've had four Shrikes of the 40 size. I don't know what size plane the 10 is but can't be very large.The 40 size suits the bill and is a very good flier..why don't you go larger??

I kill my engine on a solid approach and can't remember breaking a prop but did get in the sun last week and lost it to the dirt..

I will be honest here and say that I've always wondered why people buy a 10 size Shrike when the 40 is available..It's none of my business and I'm not being a smarty but just have wondered that.

Good luck
Walt
Old 03-10-2004, 09:53 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your 10 shrike kit comes with balsa spars replace them with spruce!!!
you may fold a wing the OVER kill on designed engine size
I folded the left wing to full seperation on mine with just an OS .25 FP with .40 FP carb and modified mufler yes I was running extreme rates

JUSt my .02 now go and have fun!
Old 03-12-2004, 12:24 AM
FlooredCOBRA

themanimal I would go with the MVVS.26 Combat Wombat engine. Just my opinion since I have one. It is a strong engine and very easy to tune. Launches are very easy also and it climbs and picks up speed quick. The pipe set up with it works very well and sounds awesome flying by low.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71781.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	110560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27735.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	110561  
Old 03-12-2004, 06:06 AM
der_steuermann
My Feedback: (2)

From my experience the MVVS .26 only withstands static rpms of max. 22.000. Over that I had wrist pin failures and cooling problems.[sm=thumbdown.gif]

In contrast to that the MVVS .21 shows excellent reliability up to 26.000
Old 03-12-2004, 11:24 AM
MMallory

Brian,

I use a Cox Conquest .15 on mine. You might be able to find one at Mecoa. This little engine is awesome. There were a couple of different versions so make sure you get the "competition" model. Mine turns about 24k on the standard pipe and close to 30k on the tuned pipe.

Build the plane in very visible colors with high contrast. Top and bottom should be instantly recognizable. You will also want to go with a bladder tank. Otherwise, when turning you can starve the engine. Another option for the engine is Mr. Jett. He makes small engines as well. Don't forget to use the throttle if the plane exceeds your nerves.

If you go with the .40 size, the key to speed will be the right prop. Don't expect a lot from a 6 or 7 pitch.

Mark M.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:02 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Yeah if your looking to get 26,000 rpm's the .26 is not the engine. I suggested because it does great with that plane and been having lots of fun with it.

If your looking for a high rpm engine look into Jett. I didn't know you was trying to make the little Shrike a ballistic missile.

http://www.jettengineering.com/
Old 03-14-2004, 09:18 AM
daven

The .15 cox conquests can be found at sheldons hobbies, Mecoa has been out of them for a while and I don't believe they intend to have any more made.

Sheldons has them on special for $65 until they run out. They are a nice little motor, I flew one last weekend on a spad gnat and had a lot of fun.

I fear this engine may be tough to get in the future, so get them while you can.