Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Suggestions needed with SHRIKE fueling setup

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Suggestions needed with SHRIKE fueling setup

Old 03-16-2004, 08:18 PM
onytay
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions needed with SHRIKE fueling setup

Im stumped on how to set the shrike up for fuelig without removing the hatch, the fuel inlet for the carb is baried between the engine and the firewall, so the traditional way is out of the question. Ive got a dubro kwik fueler, but ther isnt any where to put that, could I fill the tank using the pressure line from the muffler and just watching the line going to the carb for fuel?

any suggestions would help!
Old 03-17-2004, 12:20 AM
rockhouse
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Suggestions needed with SHRIKE fueling setup

Big North Texas Howdy,
I was faced with the same problem. The best solution that I was able to come up with is a hemostat to remove the fuel line from the needle valve. If you leave a little extra line you will be able to pull it out far enough to refuel.

Joe
Old 03-17-2004, 07:22 AM
Q-Ball

Just wondering what engine you have on it.I've had five Shrikes and never ran into that problem.The Jet engine would be kinda hard to get too but the others I've had on them were no problem.I'm talking about the Shrike 40.What's yours?
Later
Walt
Old 03-17-2004, 08:55 AM
onytay

this is the shrike 40 with OS 40, ive got the nose well rounded and the engine mounted as far back as posible, but the problem is that the fuel inlet runs horizontal with the wings and it is on the right side facing inward, and I cant fit my big ***** fingers in between the engine head and the firewall, Im trying to keep this as neet as possible

Thanks
Tony
Old 03-17-2004, 12:16 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI ONYTAY! If you have 2 vents, you can unplug one of them for refueling, and remember to plug it back up when you're done. The feed line can be pinched off during refueling.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:06 PM
onytay

I was faced with the same problem. The best solution that I was able to come up with is a hemostat to remove the fuel line from the needle valve. If you leave a little extra line you will be able to pull it out far enough to refuel.
??????????????????????????????????????????
Old 03-18-2004, 12:18 AM
FlooredCOBRA

if you try to fill up with the muffler line it will spit out the carb line. There is no where for the pressure to relive to. I would add another line to my fuel tank and have that fuel line come out somewhere easy to grab. Then you can fill up the same as if you was pulling line of carb. And since you will have your line to muffler still it will vent from there.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:30 AM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Had that problem on my 1/2A Shrike. I added a "T" to the carb line. Pop the plug off the "T" and fill-er-up. Never leaked and it sure didn't slow me down any.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:44 AM
onytay

I thought about putting a fitting in the line so I could split the two and fill from there just wondering what every one else did.

FlooredCOBRA, would I have to plug that third line up somehow, I would like to use the three line settup, but I dont know how to set it up, the third line being used just for fueling the aircraft.

Thanks everyone for the replys!

Tony
Old 03-18-2004, 04:37 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's possible to fill through a single vent line with the nose pointed straight down, when fuel comes out the carb, you are done.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:23 PM
FlooredCOBRA

True you can fill it up by pointing plane down but kinda a pain. I did that and got aggravated because I kept on forgetting and ended up making more a mess....[:@]

I just added me a 3rd line with a clunk it also just a hair smaller so they don't tangle up or cause bind. Then when you go to fuel it up just close your carb and no fuel will spit out of carb. It will fill up like normal and come out pressure line when full.

Thats what I been doing on a few planes and its been doing good so far.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:13 PM
onytay

why not just leave the brass line be after it comes out of the rubber stopper, and not put a line with a clunk on it and take the chance of them being tangeled?
Old 03-19-2004, 06:37 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Because you cant remove the fuel like that. It is like trying to use pressure line to remove fuel. There is no pick up on bottom of tank then.

But if you run the fuel out completely on each flight or don't remove fuel when done that will work out okay. I usually don't run the fuel out on my Shrike always try to leave reserve. But everyone flies different so it is really a preference on each person.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:34 PM
onytay

I never even thought about when i needed to remove the fuel at the end of the day, thanks for the reminder, im going to try this method, thanks for all the information!