Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

My club wants to have a 80 MPH Speed limit

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

My club wants to have a 80 MPH Speed limit

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 11:06 PM
rgscomputers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My club wants to have a 80 MPH Speed limit

Hello all this is my first post. I have been lurking for quite a while. I love the forum so much information great resource.

Well I Bought a whiplash and I had a rossi 45 on it if I was lucky I was going 130(a blast) probably had 50 flights on it until one day she was well out of trim and i lost it. No damge other than to the plane ,no incident. But now they want to vote on implementing an 80 mph speed limit. Has anyone ever heard of clubs with speed limits? I cant find any precedents.

I FEEL THE NEED THE NEED FOR SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!
Old 04-09-2004, 11:27 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Default RE: My club wants to have a 80 MPH Speed limit

Aww man that is crazy. Unless someone has a radar gun at field every single time how are they going to back up that rule. Most planes do over 80 mph as it is in dives so that would effect them as well.

Just because someone got intimidated by the speed of your plane shouldn't be a reason to post a speed limit in flying RC planes. I could see it now if the flying field was very small or someone was buzzing runway real low when others trying to land. But to come up with a rule like that just don't seem to feasible.

That right there would make me find another field over some silly rule like that. I don't see nothing wrong with flying fast as long as other fliers are respected. There just doesn't seem anything wrong with flying fast.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:32 PM
rgscomputers

well it has not been voted on yet but will be in the next week. Maybe some of the posters can give me some help with actual AMA rules or something to help get as many voters on the side of sanity as possible.

or even just the fact that no other clubs have speed limits if that is indeed true???

RGS
Old 04-09-2004, 11:37 PM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, are you going to tick off a few people in this form with your club's new proposed rule! Those are fighting words![:'(][>:][sm=punching.gif] I have seen, one time, a person asked to leave with a plane that was way to fast for his flying experience. The pilot was way out of control, and it showed! 80mph or 130mph... accidents happen. That is why most (and hopefully all) clubs have a assigned area to fly. Like not over the pits for the Oh SH$% factor. As long as there is no harm, there should be no foul.
I am still trying to get over the sound regs. myself!(I love the sound of short strokes 2c's on pipes)
Old 04-09-2004, 11:42 PM
impactiq

BTW: The only speed rule I know that the AMA is/trying/ or has enforced is a 200mph rule for jets.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:44 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

I would rather have Whips, Patriots and pylon racers flying with me than a 33% Cap with a big gasser going 80 mph weighing 15 lbs! Actually no airplane bothers me but they need to consider the possible damage of slower but heavier airplanes if they are uptight to start with---
Old 04-09-2004, 11:50 PM
impactiq

I truely thinks some people have nothing better to do than "RAG" about how other should change.... Most of the time they should worry about what they are doing. It has been my experience that the one's who complain are the ones who should look in the mirror themselves!
Old 04-09-2004, 11:57 PM
FlooredCOBRA

impactiq you hit the nail on the head. I notice that most at our club seem to be very willing to complain on the do's and dont's on others flying. Yet they are still flying a trainers weekend after weekend or busting props on every landing.

Can be aggravating for sure. They complain about this and that about your plane as if they paid for it.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:02 AM
rgscomputers

One thing I know is that the night flying speed limit from the AMA is 100 mph

the club is made up of mostly retiree's 60,70,80 etc.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:18 AM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

All I can say is to get all like-minded people who are behind you to turn out to vote.
If you have the minority, the sad fact is, that if the majority of the club members
want certain rules... there is nothing you can do to stop it. And really, that's the
whole point of a club anyhow... a group of people with similar interests.

Just don't let it be a few stick-in-the-muds who decide the rules for the whole club.
Definitely get the word out amongst your friends... make your case- sway their vote.

I have found out how the good-ole-boys club works, from recent personal experience*
at one of the clubs I'm involved with now. If you don't speak up, and get others to do
the same... then you're pretty much stuck with what you get.

If you leave it up to the guys who take off, fly some slow circuits and land... but who
happen to have the time to show up to every club meeting, then you're pretty much hosed
If you're truly in the minority there... and they're all "close-minded" and won't consider
other aspects of the hobby, then it may just be time to call another club "home".

Just my $.02

* to anyone who knows me as a current member of their club... ask me before jumping to
any conclusions at that statement. Oh, it's true, all right... but I'm probably not talking about
what you may think I am, up there
Old 04-10-2004, 12:25 AM
David Cutler

I think there's a strong possibility that imposing a limit of 80 mph is actually going to make it less safe, as people will assume its safe at that speed, when it really isn't. If you hit something at that speed its still going to be pretty nasty.

IMHO Complacency is more dangerous than speed.

-David C.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:37 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Considering your average 40 size sport plane can exceed 80mph without much problem they will be limiting the majority of their club. I would tell them to go fly a kite. It's rules like this that create anomosity in clubs and generally destroy the enjoyment of the hobby in it's entirity.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:48 AM
rgscomputers

Thanks for th support! But does anyone know of anything similar in any other clubs???

One of the points i am going to stress at the meeting is that the AMA's rule for night flying is 100 miles per hour.

so would that mean that as soon as its dark i can go 100????????? hahaha
Old 04-10-2004, 01:03 AM
C_Watkins

Unfortunately, club-specific rules have precedence over AMA rules, when more restrictive.
I would hope that someone would be able to open their eyes to how silly the rule sounds.

It should definitely be one heckuva discussion on that meeting night.
As mentioned already... most sport planes can meet or exceed 80MPH.
How will it be enforced? Will the club purchase a radar detector and hire a fulltime
speedcop to be at the field at all times, making sure nobody is speeding?
Sounds like they want a "touch-and-go only" club, or something
Old 04-10-2004, 01:48 AM
impactiq

Maybe you should show up with a "Clipped Wing Cub" with a hot Rossi (or YS 60) and see the reaction you get then. (I might half to try that combo...potential???...Hmmm...)As far as I know, there are no clubs with a rule like that do to most 40 size sport planes will do 80mph (as stated by Mr. Fergusan). This is a hobby.... we do it for fun. That is why it is a hobby! Some get their kicks out of going fast. Others like going slow.... For me, I may look at a person who flies "Sunday fliers" (I have nothing against you guys...Just get out of my way)and think GOD... how boring can one get, but..... I respect their choice they made in our hobby and keep my opinion to myself! Just because I do not find their means of enjoyment fitting for me... does it make it wrong then? HELL NO!!!

If things do not pan out for ya. Find another club! I knew a gentleman that was 72 and flew what was then Formula 1 pylon racing. You may beat him to the runway for take off...but after that, you were at his mercy.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:57 AM
Carl.E

That is ridiculous; 80 MPH is not that fast when you start thinking about it. A research project I help out with at college uses Tower Trainer 60s with Saito 91's on them. Telemetry from them read out 30 m/s at full throttle, level flight all the time---that's already 67 MPH! Push the nose down a bit and you'll quickly pass 80. If a trainer can go 80 with a shallow dive, what are you supposed to fly to stay under their proposed speed limit? Watching performance aerobatic planes and all other types flying slow circles is terribly boring. Also, your skills will grow about as slow as you have to fly.

Carl
Old 04-10-2004, 11:31 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

Ok let me guess the powers at hand are retired guys ( hell im retired too) they dont allow contests (fun fly's) they only want ARF's and pea patch planes and a lot of them are drifting into park fliers.....[:@]
i havent flown since december and did very little flying the previous year cuz these old F*#$@s are intimidated by the act of a simple lamcevack or a high speed touch and go. its basically ruined the club. they chased the show team (tidewater taildraggers) off the field. i guess its just too much excitement. so be fore warned when you see geritol bottles in the trash bin and rocking chairs on the flite line its time for some more enthusiastic Club leaders
Old 04-10-2004, 07:47 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just who will inforce it?
who will be responsible for maintaining and calibrating the Radar gun?
who will pay for said radar gun?
today 80mph july 40mph soon it will be a club of park flyers

whats next??? NERF balls on the rotor blades of helis?
Old 04-10-2004, 07:49 PM
SeacretsOceanCity

Hey rgscomputers, is that the LEWES club? I havent been there in a while been busy spads are gettin dusty.I hope its not.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Kaos1

Why vote on a rule if you can't measure it? Do you have a radar gun? OK, 80 MPH? Is that airspeed or ground speed? Ground speed you say? OK, we've got a 15 MPH wind straight down the runway. Now what? Pull to half throttle when flying downwind? Man what a mess that will turn into!!

My sympathies to the max!

Kaos1
Old 04-10-2004, 08:47 PM
vicman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rules that mean you gotta keep her over 80? 80 mph minimums sounds like fun
Old 04-10-2004, 10:09 PM
CONTENDER

rgsc,
You going to find members in every club who are afraid of things they don't understand or can't do. Two important steps to take to stop this kind of problem:
1) Gather folks with similar interests , or those who don't want to see these kind of restrictive rules get started, and vote it down.
2) Make sure that you and whoever is flying fast planes at your club is flying safely, and within their abilities. You will have a better chance of solving this problem if others respect the way you are going about,going fast .
If all else fails, suggest a day and time for speed flying. This way, those afraid of it can stay home till 'Trainer-Time'.
Good Luck
CONTENDER
Old 04-10-2004, 11:20 PM
ossie

Have similar issues down here with speed............
Fortunately the few speed demons in our club (I'm one of them) are not reckless and stick strictly to the clubs bylaws, thats the only way its worked for us.
My suggestion would be to do the same, stay calm and adopt a clever approach to the issues, you'll eventually win them over.

Trouble is these are the same people who look up when you yell out - look there's a dead pidgeon.
They just don't know they don't know.............
Cheers
Ken
Old 04-10-2004, 11:44 PM
XJet
Banned

This sounds like the situation a friend and I faced more than 20 years ago when we decided to get into RC combat.

We both built flying-wings powered by tricked-out OS20s.

These wings were *fast* and incredibly manuverable.

The coolest thing was that the power-weight ratio was around 2:1 so they had unlimited vertical and would actually perform a manuver that looked like a climbing spin which could performed on demand by performing a snap-roll then reversing the aileron input -- absolutely crazy.

On the approach however, these ships were capable of very high alpha flight and even with the engine off they'd come in very, very slowly due to the low wingloading.

The club we were flying at decided that these planes could not be flown at the strip because:

1. They were too fast
2. They performed "unnatural manuvers"
3. They were too quiet on approach (most landings were dead-sticked to save props)

Needless to say that most of the other modelers in the club were flying high-wing cabin trainer-type models (with little desire to fly anything else) and felt threatened by these high-performance craft.

Despite the fact that we always flew safely and well out of the way in a flight-box well away from the approach or normal circuit associated with the field, and even though we had no crashes or other "incidents", the club felt threatened by these models to the extent that they were banned.

Shortly after we "left" that club, I believe that someone was injured when one of those nice safe trainer models smacked into the pits on approach.

Go figure.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:53 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

My Cougar will do 69!!! Our Magnums are on the 200 limit and doing low close passes.
what worries me is the other plane, 3 of us almost got hit by a landed biplane with radio problems, it throttled up on the patch and ran a arc right towards us while one was flying his Magnum, after getting out the way he managed to find his plane again and keep flying.
speed isn't an issue, pilot skill and planes worthyness is!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.