Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Weston Magnum R. Engine question

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Weston Magnum R. Engine question

Old 04-13-2004, 06:43 AM
Alexspeed
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weston Magnum R. Engine question

Folks,

Finally my Magnum R kit arrived. It is really awesome quality (The best all-wood ARF ever seen)!!! Before spending money on a concrete engine, I would prefer to do some test-flights with an existing engine of my hangar. The only ones that I think that would be appropriate are either a Webra 50 with MCP or an OS 32SX I have laying around. Which one would you choose? Would the Os 32SX have enough power to pull the plane properly during takeoff? This question is addressed to those who really have flown a Magnum.

THX

ALEX
Old 04-13-2004, 11:20 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Weston Magnum R. Engine question

Oh, so I HAVE to have flown one to answer? [X(] Because I couldn't possibly give any helpful information without having flown the airplane---
Old 04-13-2004, 11:41 AM
Alexspeed

Razor,

No. Everybody is allowed to answer. And everybodie´s opinions are important. But here I need to be able to distinguish between general opinions (welcome) and expertise. I need to handlauch by my own this little heavy thing with nearly no wing and I prefer to have no surprises (crash on start because lack of power) in case that I choose the 32SX which is faster than the Webra 50, but may not have enough power to put the Magnum in the air. Because that reason I think the expertise is really important.

ALEX
Old 04-13-2004, 12:29 PM
wilkigmc

I flew my original Magnum with a piped Irvine 53, which lasted 15 flights before it seized up. Now I'm running the West 50, which is a modified Webra anyways. I'd go with your Webra 50.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:43 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I started out with a 46, and flew great with that engine until I ordered the West 50/pipe combo.

The 32 wont fit the engine mount anyway will it ?
Too much hassle to make it fit.

Im sure it will be best with the webra 50
Old 04-13-2004, 04:57 PM
turn and burn

if you need to hand launch it your self you could always put some wheels on it what i belive some people have done
Old 04-13-2004, 04:58 PM
Razor-RCU

You are gonna hand launch it yourself? I would recommend getting launcher like the one ACM sells for the Whip- or at least have a buddy with a good throwing arm toss it for ya-

Old 04-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The honest opinion of a Magnum flier...?

Why bother with anything less than the WEST engine?
Get that engine and bolt on a 9x6 for the first flights if you are insecure about your flying skills, and get someone to launch it for you. It will go straight out of sight on a 9x6... so don't worry about the launch...
The Magnum really flies very good, as long as the engine runs , so don't worry too much about your skills.

After a couple of flights when you start to get used to it and have it trimmed properly... bolt on an 8x8, shorten the pipe a little (see manual)... and hold on...
But don't forget, if things get out of hand your first reaction should to throttle back... that goes for any plane...

If you really don't like going very fast for the first few flights, go with a Webra 50, since it is a drop in replacement... that means less worries later on...
When you use Parker screws to hold down the engine, a swap between a Webra 50 and the WEST shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. You can do that on the field without problems.

PS. Set the CG at 135mm and slightly reduce both aileron and elevator throw.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:58 AM
Alexspeed

All,

Thanks a lot for your help. I´ll try the Webra 50 before buying a West engine (Nobody of you advised me not to do it...). If I get bored because lack of speed, I always can upgrade. Important for me will be to confirm my thaughts that I will like the "different" handling of this plane, despite I´m initially expecting that the flying performance (not only speed) will by far not be at the level of the desings of Kevin Matney or Look Bodt. But therefore, the Magnum is an ARF. A top quality one. And I don´t want to build for ages EVERY plane I fly (and sometimes crash).

ALEX
Old 04-18-2004, 05:45 AM
Cactus.

personally I'd go with the 32 and then sh*****teeeeeeeee meself when i got a V1
i still want to do a 36 Sportum.
I've seen self launch from the underarm throw to the near vert let go!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 08:22 AM
wavy777

I got real late into this debate....Sorry for not paying attention!

I have a Magnum 'R' with a V1. Which I always launch with an underarm 'toss', it pulls vertically straight up, and is very easy to do! just feels a bit odd...

I do however fly mode 1 (or is it Mode 2, always forget which one is which!), which means whilst I throw the magnum with my right hand, the left hand is always on the elevator...making you feel a little bit better about 'chucking' the magnum...

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:07 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy

The honest opinion of a Magnum flier...?

Why bother with anything less than the WEST engine?
Get that engine and bolt on a 9x6 for the first flights if you are insecure about your flying skills, and get someone to launch it for you. It will go straight out of sight on a 9x6... so don't worry about the launch...
The Magnum really flies very good, as long as the engine runs , so don't worry too much about your skills.

After a couple of flights when you start to get used to it and have it trimmed properly... bolt on an 8x8, shorten the pipe a little (see manual)... and hold on...
But don't forget, if things get out of hand your first reaction should to throttle back... that goes for any plane...
I agree there - I use one and I wish it was faster yet. Ditto on the 9-6, that prop works great for test fights, getting used to the airplane etc., and launches very easily.

Of course the alternative is a Jett .50, and it will pull it pretty much the same. Both killer engines.

So I agree with the use of the .50 for now - it does have a throttle after all. Just don't fly with gobs of pitch at first.

MJD
Old 10-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Razor-RCU

Good to see this thread re-animated!

I just finished mine with the West-50, and I am waiting for the maiden flight...

I figured on starting with a 9x7 APC- Should I assume the thrust will be fine for the hand-launch? I WILL have someone throwing it for me...

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93283.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	535774  
Old 10-05-2006, 04:53 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

Good to see this thread re-animated!

I just finished mine with the West-50, and I am waiting for the maiden flight...

I figured on starting with a 9x7 APC- Should I assume the thrust will be fine for the hand-launch? I WILL have someone throwing it for me...

Cheers!
Should be just fine, but in deference to the engine, personally I would go with the 9-6. IIRC the 9-7 is either the maximum load you should hang on that engine, or a bit too much. I have not used a 9-7, only 9-6, but can say the engine seems very content on that prop. Not suire if you'd be off the pipe with the 9-7. Running in a fat 2 cycle it makes 18.2- 18.3k, once leaned out a bit better yet, and static thrust is very high making for easy launches. Vertical is out of this world, it doesn't seem to slow down at all. It is the Weston recommended test flight and run-in prop.

MJD
Old 10-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Razor-RCU

MJD- The Weston manual actually states that the 9x6 or 9x7 are recommended for test flights...
Old 10-06-2006, 09:01 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

MJD- The Weston manual actually states that the 9x6 or 9x7 are recommended for test flights...
Yeah I couldn't remember if it recommended the 9-7 or not. But considering the state of tune of the stock engine and pipe setup, I tend to think it would be happier on the 9-6. Mine runs like a Swiss watch on that prop, and is very easy to tune. That's all I was saying.

MJD
Old 10-07-2006, 12:43 PM
wavy777

I have always used an APC 8 x 8 for launching it myself. A 9 x 7 gives easier hand launching than an 8x8, so you'll have plenty in hand ...you gotta ignore your instincts when you just throw it upwards with an underarm lob! For the record with an 8 x 8 its pulling 21,000 on the ground, running on Prosynth 10%.

Happy landings!

W
Old 01-19-2007, 04:14 PM
xandips

don't the props always break on landingS??
where r u guys landing? grasS?
Old 01-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Like with any belly lander, you must make sure the prop stays horizontal when gliding in... that way it won't break. Don't land with the engine running (or take large supply of props with you to the field)