Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Best, fastest plane using a OS .25FX?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Best, fastest plane using a OS .25FX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 05:59 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best, fastest plane using a OS .25FX?

Hi everyone. I'm new to this section of RCU, so please bare with me. What is the best, fastest plane that can be used with a .25Fx. I have a .25FX that I can use for this. I want to use it on a speed plane. I can make a mousse can for it to get a little more out of it if I need to, but I wanted to be able to use the stock muffler and get good performance on a plane first then upgrade to a tuned pipe or MCP. Would a diamond dust or Shrike 40 be a good choice? I like the look of the DD. This is what I have been leaning toward.

I am new to the speed plane section here and don't know the different type of planes in this section. I have done several searches, but still sort of lost.

Being a .25 size speed plane, I guess I do need to take the size of the plane into account also.

Please help and show a photo/video if possible of the candidates.

Thanks,
Derrick (DTB)
Old 04-20-2004, 06:22 PM
turn and burn

Default RE: Best, fastest plane using a OS .25FX?

weston us to do a small tigershark they went well on a 25 but not shore if they still do it i have a look on there site
Old 04-20-2004, 07:07 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The Diamond Dust would be a good choice.
The Shrike 40 it too big... You need a .60 to make that go fast... the Shrike 10 would be much better suited.
Also, the Kangke F3D might be a good choice. From what I hear here they do really well on a .32, so the .25 would make it a very nice first speed plane... and you get a landing gear too...

Other than that, there just isn't too much around, unless you make your own. A 60-70% Quickie type plane would be nice...
Old 04-20-2004, 07:48 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another option would be the Sig Wonder. A 25 will skoot one of these around at a pretty good clip.

Gary
Old 04-20-2004, 08:14 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

The Deltas fly well but the Kangke F3D is a better 1st speed plane- you can take off and land almost normal [X(] and not have to worry about mechanical launchers or buddies throwing your pride and joy into the ground-
Old 04-20-2004, 08:42 PM
DTB

This would be my first speed plane, but not my first fast plane. Believe it or not, I have a Hanger 9 Super Stick that has been beefed up and clocked at 112 mph in level flight across the runway. It isn't as fast as these DD or whiplash, but it is pretty fast to be a stick and not a designed speed plane. I can keep up with it pretty good, but I am looking for a little more but only have a .25FX to use. Would the Diamond Dust be faster since it has less drag and is lighter plane. My stick weighs 6 pounds, but has a 46FX with a MCP I made spinning an APC 12x4 at almost 14,000 rpm (13,800 to be exact).

What do you think the top speed would be on a DD with a 25FX? I will probably make a MCP for the 25FX to get more power later, but I want the plane to be fast in the stock version.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:19 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

A stick with a MCP .46 FX swinging a 4 pitch prop at 14,000 will not do 114 mph. Its just not possible. How did you come up with the MPH rating?

Your basic Q500 with a .25 FX and a 8x6 prop (turning close to 16,000) will do about 95 mph and would be a great intro to speed. We use to race these locally a few years ago and were just about perfect for entry level racing.

Not trying to pick on you, or demean you, but the MPH you are quoting is not possible with your combination..
Old 04-20-2004, 09:42 PM
DTB

ORIGINAL: daven

A stick with a MCP .46 FX swinging a 4 pitch prop at 14,000 will not do 114 mph. Its just not possible. How did you come up with the MPH rating?

Your basic Q500 with a .25 FX and a 8x6 prop (turning close to 16,000) will do about 95 mph and would be a great intro to speed. We use to race these locally a few years ago and were just about perfect for entry level racing.

Not trying to pick on you, or demean you, but the MPH you are quoting is not possible with your combination..
My buddy is a swat member here locally on our police department and brought his department issued radar gun and pulled up to the flight line and clocked the plane for me. I didn't do any calculation with numbers. I went by the department issued radar gun that was in the patrol car. Unless the radar gun is wrong it posted that speed. It started beeping, then popped up 109 mph in one direction down the runway and 114 mph coming from the other direction down the same runway. I averaged out the speed to 111-112 mph. This is the same gun that is used in traffic to give tickets. Again, unless the gun was wrong it was doing it. Maybe the Q500 was going faster than 95. Maybe the stick was going slower, I can't say. I just know what the radar stated when I shot past the runway.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:42 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Radar guns are commonly used in our area, and the numbers you quote just don't make sense. I am not working off a speed formula, but from what I know and have seen nearly every weekend.

The club I belong to has a LARGE contingent of racers, and people that just want to go fast. I have a pretty good idea of what goes what with what prop on what engine. A basic .40 sized plane with a good .46FX at best will do 100 mph with a 6 or 7 pitch prop.

If you had a 6 or 7 pitched prop on your plane it would sound a hair more realistic, but not with a 4 pitch??

Bring your buddy out and check again, something doesn't sound right.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:40 PM
DTB

ORIGINAL: daven

Radar guns are commonly used in our area, and the numbers you quote just don't make sense. I am not working off a speed formula, but from what I know and have seen nearly every weekend.

The club I belong to has a LARGE contingent of racers, and people that just want to go fast. I have a pretty good idea of what goes what with what prop on what engine. A basic .40 sized plane with a good .46FX at best will do 100 mph with a 6 or 7 pitch prop.

If you had a 6 or 7 pitched prop on your plane it would sound a hair more realistic, but not with a 4 pitch??

Bring your buddy out and check again, something doesn't sound right.
My buddy is a club member there also so I'll see him often and I'll have him bring it back out to the field and radar it again and let you know what the numbers say the next time. I see that you are MN. I am in Jackson, MS. I wonder could the location and relation to sea level have anything to do with it. We are roughly around sea level or 50-100 ft above here. Is MN above Sea level or at sea level?

Getting back to my original post, do you think that a 25FX would be quick on a DD? If so, what speed would you estimate. I'm curious...

Thanks,
Old 04-20-2004, 11:56 PM
rockhouse
My Feedback: (5)

Howdy,
Got to agree with davin. Airframe (thick wing), Weight, engine size, prop diameter & pitch don't add up to speed. Sounds like a great combo for hovering though.

Had a Shrike 10 with a .25 on it. Flew about 120-130. Was thinking about putting the engine on a DD this evening. Happen to have both lying around. The DD with the .25 on it might go about the same speed. Don't know.

Joe
Old 04-21-2004, 12:07 AM
DTB

ORIGINAL: rockhouse

Howdy,
Got to agree with davin. Airframe (thick wing), Weight, engine size, prop diameter & pitch don't add up to speed. Sounds like a great combo for hovering though.

Had a Shrike 10 with a .25 on it. Flew about 120-130. Was thinking about putting the engine on a DD this evening. Happen to have both lying around. The DD with the .25 on it might go about the same speed. Don't know.

Joe
Hi Joe, I agree with you both. I thought the plane was too heavy and too bulky to be going that fast, but those are the numbers that popped up. I didn't/don't have any other way of determining the speed of the stick. I really don't feel like trying to time the plane between 2 distances.

The DD does seem to be pulling me toward it. I am not trying to break the sound barrier. Just want something a little hotter, but not too fast.

If you do decide to use the 25 on the DD, please let me know what the results are with that combo. I would really appreciate your thoughts and comments. Which 25 are you using?

Thanks,
Derrick
Old 04-21-2004, 01:31 AM
rockhouse
My Feedback: (5)

Hi,
I'm using the os .25 fs, & a Norvel .25, both with a tuned pipe. Things to remember about the DD & the shrike.

The shrike is cheaper.
the dust is easier to build
the shrike is smaller= probably faster
the dust will handle that engine easily
the shrike must be modified to last with a .25 ie move firewall back 1/4 inch, hardwood spars, sheet wing & rear area, move battery back as far as you can

After considering the above if I were going to purchase a plane for a 25 I would buy the shrike.
For a 40-50 (esp. Jett fire 50) the DD is the ticket.

By the way the shrike will go at least twice as fast as your stick.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84635.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	124744