Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

lanier f4 phantom cg?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

lanier f4 phantom cg?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 02:06 PM
picard1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lanier f4 phantom cg?

I have read on the threads that the factory cg is incorrect. What is the best cg for starting out at?

mike
Old 06-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: lanier f4 phantom cg?

I will check when I get home.... The factory setting was a little tail-heavy as I recall-

I will get back to ya

What are you running in there?

james
Old 06-02-2004, 01:21 AM
picard1

I have an OS 50 that I was thinking of using. I also have a JETT 50 set aside for a Patriot. But as it turns out I have developed an allergic reaction to ca and have set that project aside.

On the Phantom, I"m using twin aileron servos, thought flaps might come in handy. Also, I modified the steering linkage to fit inside the cowl(wanted to stay with that clean jet look). Added two additional wing dowls to the existing center pin to stabilize the wing and added some whistles to try and capture that turbine sound.

mike
Old 06-02-2004, 02:18 AM
crashedagain

I have a lanier f-4 phantom too and it was very nose heavy. Did not fly it for about 3 months because of this. the factory CG says( i think 63/4 to 7 1/4". Well mine was about 3 inches back! I have a 46 os i think in mine. Call the Co. and they did not know whay to tell me. Called 3 times and spoke to 3 different people! Well, one day i was out flying some other planes, and had the Phantom with me, so about an hour before sunset,( Just a small breeze coming doun the runway, I fly at a county airfield Black top runway no grass landing) and figured i crashed biger and more expesive planes, so I took a chanch. Well, it flyies great!! Very fast. made a picture perfect landing! And that is rare for me on any plane. After that, i will say you must come in a little faster then say a trainer, just a tick or two above idle, but no problem at all. One factory rep. said he thinks the CG that they use lies, since they have a basic formula, and since the f-4 has a "swept back winf and the ends,"wing tips" come forward, the formular they used is off. At any rate it flays very nice. Bob
Old 06-02-2004, 10:07 AM
Razor-RCU

That is what they say- about 7" but as Crashedagain said, he went with it WAY forward and it flew fine... Mine was farther back but nowhere near 7"
Old 06-02-2004, 11:46 PM
picard1

Thanks guys for the info. If I am understanding you correctly, I should start my cg at say 4-5"and see how it flys. Would you recommend as soon as it lifts off cutting the throttle and see how it responds on a approach? Or should I just hope for the best! My thinking is that I fly off an old airport runway so length is not an issue. If I build up speed gain a little altitude and then cut the throttle, it should respond the same as making my final approach. What do you guys think?

mike
Old 06-03-2004, 12:09 AM
Razor-RCU

Well- I would check my actual CG but my F-4 is RIP [X(]

I would say takeoff as normal and try a gradual climb to a safe alt. then see what happens---