Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Patriot with an enclosed pipe?

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Patriot with an enclosed pipe?

Old 07-21-2004, 01:49 PM
mumblety-peg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot with an enclosed pipe?

I'm building my first Patriot. I like the idea of an enclosed pipe. But I'm not sure if it's worth the effort for me to do this. Has anyone here done this?

I've built 7 or 8 kits already. And the engine is not yet ordered. So I'd really appreciate any comments from folks with first had experience at this.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2004, 06:29 PM
leftnut
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Patriot with an enclosed pipe?

i havn't.. but have a .46 size-18 that require a rear exhaust engine
and a pipe in the fuse. a hopper tank was used, 2 main tank
sits at CG
looks good but....
builder painted the damn thing. a brick.lol
previouse owner had .90 o.s. 2 stroke and a mac pipe.
it wasn't moving[:'(]

my first patriot also.
a regular type pipe or in cowl pipe type.
it can't be fully enclosed..but it looks so much better
than a regular muff. almost half of the bottom of the nose
had been cutted out for the smaller muff.
i also went to a 2 1/4 size spinner to try to hide it as much
as possiable. you sand or carve the nose to match the spiner.

it can be easily removed and i can easily install a tunepipe if i
feel the need for more speed
Old 07-28-2004, 10:29 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've built a curare with a ys 45 rear exhaust a long time ago. I don't rmemeber but I think I had to do a special header to enclose the pipe in the top of the fuse, then some tubing to bring the exhaust back down and out the belly of the plane behind the wing.

You're talking a lot of work here and everything has to be dead on b@lls accurate.

It can be done, but you'll be a little off shapen on the patriot classic look. Interesting project though. I'd really recommend the YS 45 on tuned pipe rear exhaust. That's what I did and it was easily a 120 mph pattern plane.

Sean
Old 07-29-2004, 05:09 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built one a little over a year ago w/ an MVVS .49 that I modified the sleeve in and port matched, and rotated the cyl. 90 deg. for rear exh. I mounted the engine upright and used a modified YS .45 fuse. top header (because I couldn't find the right height MVVS fuse. top design) from Macs. A friend is really good at making fiberglass (full scale) boats, and helped me make a custom glass canopy/turtledeck that completely enclosed the pipe. Made gear doors for it too, and cowled as much of the engine as possable so that just the cyl. and head were exposed. We had a guy temporarily stationed here (Air Force) with a radar gun that got it at 141 M.P.H. but that was in a very shallow dive down wind.
Go for it dude!
Old 07-29-2004, 11:05 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

You would have to work on the top side a bit......move the canopy forward a bit maybe, and have the pipe run up through the turtle deck.

Attached is a photo of an old Arrow pattern ship. Something like this (similar to EU-1 and others too) to run the pipe over the top. Also take a look at photos of a Bridi UFO and XLT for some ideas.

I prefered to run extention tubes from the pipe outlet to the bottom of the fuselage......

Just an idea.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66803.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	158612  
Old 07-29-2004, 11:15 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

That's almost exactly what I had going on in that Curare. Great picture, it never occured to me to take photos of mine.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:19 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

I use to run a similar arrangement in the 'hippo-tipo' 825. Except, no hatch. Fuse top header, and the pipe mount took a bit of work from inside the fuselage. Pipe tunnel had side vents, and exhaust exited the bottom of the fuselage

I really have to find a rainy day with nobody to bother me....... then I can scan in a bunch of older photos and stuff. Would be nice archive of history
Old 08-04-2004, 08:24 AM
John A

It's a lot of work, but I mounted mine inverted. Here's an older pic with the nose sitting on a little crooked. Mechanical retracts, 12 oz tank, OPS 40 RIRE. I've got some more pic's since it was finished that I need to transfer to this computer. Let me know if you are serious about doing it, and I'll post a buildup on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77932.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	160501  
Old 08-04-2004, 10:12 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John can you post more pics and information about this plane!? it looks very sharp! [8D]
Old 08-06-2004, 10:27 AM
mumblety-peg
My Feedback: (3)

John, it looks great. And thanks for the offer. But I'm going to build this one stock. I'd like to get it done before winter (the rainy season) hits.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:50 AM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: John A

It's a lot of work, but I mounted mine inverted. Here's an older pic with the nose sitting on a little crooked. Mechanical retracts, 12 oz tank, OPS 40 RIRE. I've got some more pic's since it was finished that I need to transfer to this computer. Let me know if you are serious about doing it, and I'll post a buildup on it.
I'm interested too !!