Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
 AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good >

AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Old 08-11-2005, 01:06 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

I absolutely will extend the bearing into the lower fin (when I get that part built). BWT Capt G, I don't mean that this is a beginner's kit or it is super easy. I meant that in comparison to building from scratch, this is easy especially with the lazer cut parts that actually FIT TOGETHER.

So far, I have received the OS 91FX, the Spring Air Retracts, and most of the hardware. I am waiting on the tuned pipe and the header. I have a big 84 inch fun fly airplane (Phantom twin boom) that I am flying with an OS 1.20 four stroke. I plan to break in the OS 91FX on that plane as it will handle potential dead sticks better than the Flanker.

From what I understand about tuned pipes, the pipe is tuned for the engine and prop combination - not the plane. So I think it will be OK to break-in and the tune the pipe on the Phantom. I thoughts?
Old 08-12-2005, 09:23 PM

Hey guys and gals! What about the leading edge flaps and the speed brake. I know the AKM model does not have these options but how about MODS. I saw some aticles here on RCU about the leading edge flaps. It was centered around mixing the deployment of the LE Flaps and the elevator. On reading that thread and others, it seem that the LE flaps are deployed in most flght sets except flat out speed.

Would the addition of STATIC LE flaps allow slower more stable landings at the cost of lower speed during normal flight?
Old 08-12-2005, 09:24 PM

Hey guys and gals! What about the leading edge flaps and the speed brake. I know the AKM model does not have these options but how about MODS. I saw some aticles here on RCU about the leading edge flaps. It was centered around mixing the deployment of the LE Flaps and the elevator. On reading that thread and others, it seem that the LE flaps are deployed in most flght sets except flat out speed.

Would the addition of STATIC LE flaps allow slower more stable landings at the cost of lower speed during normal flight?
Old 08-12-2005, 09:57 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The tuned pipe is tuned to the engine/prop. My idea for building this plane was to get a reasonably high speed plane. Leading edge slats are used to lower the stall speed at the expense of added drag. They do allow more maneuverability at slow speeds but will not allow high speed if not retracted. I have programmed in a small amount of flaperon to lower the landing speeds. Just got the wings and bottom of the fuse covered. Starting on the top next.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:35 PM

As Scotty once said "The more you overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain!"

You do not need any of that stuff... especially the speedbrakes... this thing has lots of DRAG as is... you can bleed off lots of speed in the turns from downwind to base to final!

The plane flys great and lands at reasonable speeds. however, I would not hesitate to go with Capt. G and use a bit of flaperons that would be a good addition.... I do not even use any electronic mixing.... this plane will truly use a standard 5 channel radio and actually work well!

Hey Capt. G... havin fun covering that thing.... a bit more involved than the norm..HEH! ..... I had fun building and covering the Flanker... but when I was done I flet like I was at the end of the 5 year mission! LOL!

BUT IT WAS WORTH IT!

Rich
Old 08-12-2005, 10:45 PM

Rich - you got that right. By the way - can you give me some details about your cockpit? It looks like if I use a 16oz tank , I can sink the cockpit about 3/8". How did you make the glare shield, seat , rear deck etc?
Old 08-13-2005, 12:16 AM

DO NOT SINK THE COCKPIT OR CUT INTO THE FUSELAGE SKIN IN ANY WAY....ESPECIALLY THE TOP!!! THE TOP SKIN IS WHERE THE FUSELAGE GETS ITS STRENGTH FROM UNDER POSITIVE LOAD!!!

To keep it light I simply used black Ultracote as a black deck I traced out to be slightly smaller than the canopy size... the black color will give the cockpit a scale look.... the black area must be large enough so you cant see any white areas through the canopy and more importantly small enough so the plastic canopy will contact only the white base color skin of the fuselage... glare shield and rear deck are just some light weight balsa covered with black ultracote... pilot is a light weight painted Williams Bros. pilot. The Glareshield, pilot, rear deck, and canopy were all glued down (to the base white part of the fuselage NOT the black deck) with canopy glue. Glue down the Glareshield, pilot, and rear deck first.... let dry... then glue the canopy over everything.... I needed to put several pin holes from the fuel tank area to inside the canopy to vent the canopy of moisture to allow the glue to dry! I also used a regular vacume cleaner with the thin extension to vac out the moisture.

I used an 18oz tank, it seemed to be the largest size I could use and still be able to service the tank! It was a rectangular Hangar 9 tank!

Rich

Old 08-13-2005, 10:12 AM

Thanks Rich and Capt G for the comments. The OS 91 is not timed to achieve all of the benifits of a tuned pipe but it will improve performance and fuel economy a bit. My goal is to improve the appearance and it will certainly do that.

Rich, I don't plan to add LE flaps. Just saw some info on another thread about building a larger SU-27 and adding the LE Flaps. I believe you about the landing speed and will program in some flaperons to see how that works. I am a long ways from flight so that will come later.

Thanks for the info on the cockpit. I will do mine similar to yours. I think I bought the recomended fuel tank which is a 14 oz tank. I may get a bigger one if it will fit.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:50 PM

Page 11 and I feel fine....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd94022.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	309741  
Old 08-14-2005, 12:08 AM

Coming along nicely. My covering ordeal is now completed. Next - assembly.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:03 PM

Ok Rich - i'll try to do something else for a cockpit. Might just paint the canopy and be done with it - would be a shame though. Here's progress so far.

Name:	Us54746.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	310083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86201.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	310084  
Old 08-14-2005, 07:26 PM

Nice work Mr. G ... Did you hollow out the engine cones and inset the red flame?
Old 08-14-2005, 08:06 PM

The cones are built up of stacked balsa rings with a ply end plate. I just put the end plate about 2 rings in from the back, sealed it and painted with flat black, then added the Monokote "fire".
Old 08-14-2005, 08:45 PM

I like the chrome Leading Edges!

Rich
Old 08-14-2005, 09:37 PM

I'm starting my build next week , this is the scheme I'm going with

Name:	Eb86692.gif
Views:	44
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	310193  
Old 08-15-2005, 03:54 PM

WELL! for me and [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] for the SU27 ...... NO..... MORE.... FLUTTER man oh man does it hual the mail...

Not the best conditions to test fly ..had a 10 to 17 mph wind down the strip and after waiting for 2 hours looked like no end in sight ,,,so .. up she went ..two turns around the strip ..seemed OK ... so back to 3/4 throttle and wheels up .. still flying cool and picking up speed .... so OK ... got the nerve up tuned high bank to the down wind and added full throttle .... put the nose down a tad ... well here we go .... F>>>A>>>>>S>>>&gt ;T ....WHAT ... NO FLUTTER ...back around again full tilt... same set up for the pass .... AAAAH coool IT has the neat-es HIGH speed airframe whistle sound going by that you will ever hear...

Rich you must have heard the whistle sound? man it is toooooo cool !!!

So all the hard work to this test has been well worth it .... but you do have to stiffen up the back end if your going for speed...

So with a big grin on my face and a nice nose high landing the SU is now flight ready..

GOOD luck to the rest of the builders on there maiden test flights.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:12 PM

sweet dude! the headwind is really a good thing with thing with this plane!

Rich
Old 08-15-2005, 05:16 PM
My Feedback: (11)

After reading the thread am woundering how fast the SU-27 is with a Jett 90L engine. Would be a bummer if this bird don't break 100mph in level flight.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:35 PM

Not sure what Rich is doing for speed with his ... But I had my MIG tacked with a 13x6 APC last weekend and was turning 12556 + or - on 10% ( still new Evo 1.00NX) so with the SU and same motor ( Still New Evo 1.00NX and less runs on it ) turning a 13x8 APC and lets drop the RPM to 12000 should = to 90 ( just a guess ) and a tail wind of at least 10+ mph ...shallow dive = over 100.

Just my $0.02 but I would say it is over a 100 mph plane in level flight. Depending on outside factors ..mother nature ... motor ... Prop... Fuel ect.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I intend to fly mine with the stock rudder torque rod setup... since I cannot imagine it will flutter when done right... no offense to you guys (Rich, Blade), but when I fly mine stock, and it works... somebody will be eating crow!
Of course, when I'm wrong... that piece of crow is mine...

On the speed: IMO it shouldn't be a problem to break 100 level with this thing... 100 isn't all that fast... but do not expect much more out of it... this is not a 150 mph plane...
Old 08-15-2005, 06:54 PM

I would love to eat crow ..never had one before... then again [sm=confused.gif] maybe I had better not ... may be a environmental thing ... Being armed and for warned that you ...MAY... In counter Flutter ( both rudder and elevators ) is better I think then just blasting into high speed run and doing the OOOOOOH NOOOO thing... as the plane hurls to the ground at OVER 150+ MPH

No offense taken and I hope none given RudeBoy
Old 08-15-2005, 07:00 PM
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crow tastes like spotted owl.

Don
Old 08-15-2005, 09:45 PM

The more I read this thread the more excited I get about my SU-27. I have a very basic queston about the retract gear. I tried to install the nose wheel strut as indicated on the plans and photos. However, the "spring" hits the retract housing before the gear is fully retracted. What am is doing wrong?

NOTE: The strut is installed with the spring in the front of the strut. This configuration results in the spring "unwinding" when the wheel is push to the rear. This is the opposite of the way I have installed all of my wire gear.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:45 PM

You can get away with the stock rudder torque rods if you add a lower epoxy bearing.... it still may flutter a bit... this is the set up I have and I occasionally get some rudder flutter.....

The elevator is a different story.... after you install the stock 4-40 rods you will see how much play there is.... then you will propably want to change it.... at slow speeds it may be ok..... but if you go for speed it will most likely flutter.

RUDEBOY..... Check out my video if you have not seen it yet.... there are a few low passes where you compare it with ground references.... you can gestimate the speed for yourself.... we figured in the 120-150 range. there is also flutter in the video!

email me and I can give you the video link.... [email protected]

Rich
Old 08-16-2005, 01:18 AM
My Feedback: (11)

120+ mph, now were talking, and you don't even want to take a chance of having flutter at these speeds if at all possible. AKM was probally desiging for a 91FX and then you install Jett 90L, well I'll have the Texas Hot Sauce ready for Rudeboy when he does his maiden

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.