Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Fuel shut off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 06:52 PM
Lownverted
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fuel shut off?

Hi Guys

I'm building a .15 powered speed plane and I am looking for a nice little fuel shut off. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

Red
P.s. I'll share pics when its done.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:02 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel shut off?

The Dubro smoke valve may work. All it does is pinch a line anyways. You could put that between the carb and the tank and use it to cut off flow. Just would require another servo. Just an idea

Or if you have a carb just use that. Thats what I use on my little Shrike. Just throttle down and use trim to cut off.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD625&P=7
Old 10-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Lownverted
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Cobra

I don't have a carb (it's a Nelson) so that is why I need a shut off. I thoought of the smoke valve, and don't mind the extra servo, but there isn't much room up front for that.

I think I've found what I need at www.texastimers.com. It's called a remote pinch off (RPO)

Thanks

Red
Old 10-24-2004, 01:08 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd ask first if that thing is big enough for standard size fuel line like we use... because these FF guys use 1/8" diameter tubing apparently...

If it's not big enough... then you can make your own shut off with some piano wire and some hardwood. Just make a hardwood block into which the fuel line gets pulled (pinched) by the piano wire. Very simple. There are some good instructions on the Jett Engineering website about this, in the FAQ section... look for "fuel shut off mechanism"...
Old 10-25-2004, 08:35 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

He beat me to it....... look on the Jett FAQ section. Decribes what you want.

Very easy version I use to use........
A piece of .040 wire.... bent in a flat-U shape on the end. Wire exits the firewall, and the U piece returns back into the firewall. Fuel line runs within the loop. Servo pulls the wire and loop toward the firewall, squeezing the fuel line. Works great. You can use DubBro fuel line, or get ahold of thin-wall sonic-tronics or Sullivan fuel tubing. Prather and Aerotrend fuel line will not pinch off quite that easily.

Bob
Old 10-25-2004, 09:16 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Something like this.....

It sometimes helps to put a small half-dowl on the firewall side to help provide a pinch-point to 'strangle' the fuel line. However, I have used this simple version without any issues.

(eew.... that jpg conversion came out ugly........ but you get the idea)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82671.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	186464