Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Wheels and rudder on Shrike?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Wheels and rudder on Shrike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 12:39 PM
smokinghole42
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels and rudder on Shrike?

I was thinking about adding a small tricycle landing gear assembly to my shrike 40 so that I could easily fly from pavement. I know it would add weight and kill speed, but that's always the tradeoff. I was also thinking of adding rudders to it and strengthing the tail. Has anyone done iether of these things? Thanks
Old 12-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Kaos1

Default RE: Wheels and rudder on Shrike?

Yes to the landing gear. This photo doesn't show them well. Power is provided by a Picco 45 and it moves pretty well. Be careful when installing the mains. Mine are back a little too far to allow for a good rotation. The plane jumps off of the ground once the speed is high enough.

My tail seems to be sufficient as built per the plans. I installed tristock on the underside. As far as the rudder on the tail, when the tails are angled there will be a component of elevator when rudder is asked for. When either trying to yaw left or right, the rear of the plane will drop, raising the nose slightly. The same as a little up elevator.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91017.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	199656  
Old 12-08-2004, 04:01 PM
smokingcrater

how about a tail dragger shrike?! landing gear is from a Sig somethin' extra, engine will either be a tower hobbies .46 or irvine .53. I WAS going to put retracts in, until I remembered I fly off a rough grass field and one landing/takeoff would have removed the gear and probably a sizable portion of the structure...

here are two pics of my shrike (winter build, still in progress...) It is going to have dual elevators, partially to strengthen up the tail, but also for control. There is a horizontal stab surface attached to the top of the vertical stabs, and from that I have a second control surface controlled by a biplane style pushrod connection between the two...

it will be interesting at least. at first the tail dragger idea seemed horribly ugly, but it kind of grows on you after awhile. i have wheel pants (not installed), so that helps the looks a little...

[link=http://www.ryankramer.com/planes/shrike/top.jpg][/link][link=http://www.ryankramer.com/planes/shrike/bottom.jpg][/link]
Old 12-08-2004, 04:56 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how will you 'steer' the taildragger on takeoff? ie. keep it going straight down the runway before taking off?
Old 12-08-2004, 08:24 PM
smokingcrater

how will you 'steer' the taildragger on takeoff? ie. keep it going straight down the runway before taking off?
that is the reason for the irvine .53 and a 3 pound plane... [8D]

seriously, that is a concern I've had, with a couple different solutions... my HOPE is that I just point it and go. (notice the wingskids!) The tailwheel is locked but adjustable, not to mention it won't be on the ground very long anyway. i've also thought about rudders, which may happen. I don't think there should really be any coupling for pitch with the dual rudders canted like they are. it is no different then a T-tail for rudder maneuvers, one has an upward vector, but the other cancels it out with a downward vector. yes, lots of drag, but it serves the purpose. that said, I did build it with rudders in mind, including servo mounting and the pushrods (used those crankarm like things for pushrod exits, they are nice!)
Old 01-10-2006, 01:00 PM
lee292
My Feedback: (9)

I'm thinking about doing the same thing on my Shrike. I have the rudders already hinged. Now, all I need to figure out is how to hook a single servo up to turn both rudders. I'm thinking about putting the control horns on the outside of the rudders and using a red Gold-N-Rod to hook them up to opposite sides of the servo wheel. Does anyone out there have a better idea?
Old 01-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Hard Left Bank
My Feedback: (30)

Hey Guys - check out this site - you will like it.
http://rcdon.com/html/the_shrike-cam.html