Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Sig Wonder

Old 09-07-2002, 07:04 PM
Joe Trinkley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Wonder

I just bought the kit to this and plan on building soon, I was told the norvel 15 would make this haul ass. I was curious if anyone has had any experience with this plane, tell me about your combo and how fast it's running. Anyone with the norvel 15 on it? what prop and how fast?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2002, 08:45 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sig Wonder

Joe,

A .15? I've flown these with .28's, .36's and one with a .40. A buddy of mine had the .40 on his, with a tune pipe!! Now we're talking fast!!

These are very small planes and the faster they are, the faster they get out of your site, so keep this mind when strapping on the power. The .15's will fly them, but that's about all ya can say about that setup.

Good luck!

Gary
Old 09-07-2002, 08:53 PM
garrett_mcdonal

Default Sig Wonder

I have the kit for another Wonder in the pile in the spare bedroom. My first Wonder had a 25 on the front and hauled. I flew it for years and years until it eventually died of old age.

My next one will get a YS-45 with pipe and some beefing up to make sure it doesn't come back to earth as confetti.

I would recommend going with a 15 or 25 to start with. Once you get used to that, then consider strapping something bigger/hotter on the front. It's simple to run the front end through a bandsaw and move the firewall back far enough to accomodate a bigger engine mount.

As Gary pointed out, these things can become a dot in the sky before you know what happened.

Regards,
Garrett
Old 09-08-2002, 12:23 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sig Wonder

You should see it fly with a Webra .32
Old 09-09-2002, 01:29 AM
Frisbee
My Feedback: (2)

Default Sig Wonder

I have the wonder with a magnum 15 and am not happy with the speed, but love the flying characteristics of the lite plane. I think I am going to go with a bigger engine and see how if flies.

Ted Frisbee
Old 09-09-2002, 03:04 PM
Sport Flyer
My Feedback: (10)

Default Sig Wonder

I have seen Wonders fly and exhibit spritely performance with as little as an .09 engine. I've also seen one that would barely handlaunch with an OS 25 on the nose. Just keep it light. Mine flew out of my hand - no need to run for the handlaunch - with a Magnum .15. Only thing I didn't like about the .15 was the vertical was far from unlimited. I currently have a .21 in mine.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:24 PM
Joe Trinkley

Default Sig Wonder

I think i've decided on the norvel 25 to start
Old 09-11-2002, 02:37 AM
AQ500

Default Sig Wonder

I was running an OS 25 SF and 9x6 APC prop. It wasn't super fast but it flew vertically as fast as it did horizontally. It originally had a 15 GP and just wasn't powerful enough, infact it was boring to fly with the 15. I flew the plane for 6 years until I retired it.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:19 PM
Picco

Default Sig Wonder

Joe,
I flew a Wonder for about 4 years with a Rossi 20. It flew out of my hand, just point it up and let go! It was my first fast plane in the quest for speed and I was happy with its performance. A word of advice; Keep the slop out of the linkages! Last summer, I developed a flutter on one of the control surfaces. A microsecond later the wing parted from the fuselage and she was in the ground before I thought to pull the throttle back.....

I hope you enjoy yours,...Chris.

If your knees are weak after you land, it's almost fast enough...
Old 09-13-2002, 06:11 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sig Wonder

I fly my wonder with a hot little (old 1970's FF engine) F.I.R.E. Rossi .15 on a full pipe. Has micro servos, nice and light and it does about 115-120mph. Not super speed but it is fast, and keeping it light is can also fly around easily at low speeds. Its actually an easy plane to fly. I bet with the .40's its a different animal, much heavier and you would lose your slow speed characteristics (if that matters) or would you? How do the ones with a larger (.32 to 45's) fly at lower speeds guys?

My only neg on this model is it seems to get bounced around badly in the wind, more so than any other plane I have.

AJC
Old 09-19-2002, 09:21 PM
Dirtnaper
My Feedback: (11)

Default Sig Wonder

I flew one for a while with a webra .32 on a pipe and another with a tt.36. At the time I had a diamond dust with a rossi formula .40l. To be totaly honest I think the little wonder was just as fast. If it wasnt it sure appeared to be.

To answer your question.

On the .30 size engines they still glide and fly great right down to the grass.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:13 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sig Wonder

I have 4 Wonders. I'm using the following engines:

Super Tiger X21
Super Tiger X25
MVVS 20 with mini pipe
Irvine 20

The next one I build gets the Megatec 37 made by Leo.

Pete
Old 09-20-2002, 01:27 PM
Dirtnaper
My Feedback: (11)

Default Sig Wonder

Anyone actualy put any of these things on a radar gun yet. I wish I knew how fast the one was with the webra on it. I clipped the wings on it as well. On my 5th flight the tail came off and the entire plane was a write off... One of the verticals to be exact. after that happened it started to come apart in mid air. Looked really COOL!
Old 09-25-2002, 02:25 PM
Hammbone2

Default Sig Wonder

I built one with a O.S 25 VFDF rear Exhaust in the nose.. It really goes,,
Old 09-27-2002, 12:54 AM
woodduck-RCU

Default Wonder / Norvel .15

This is a great combination it may not have the outrageousness of the OS DF DF but it flys very well and is a crowd pleaser. Just keep it light with servos such as JR 241 and 1 oz. 720 mah NIMH batteries. The Norvel takes several tanks to breakin, don't get frustrated it is worth the effort. I am planning to try a Moki .15 engine, these are hard to find.

Regards
Old 07-04-2003, 11:55 AM
WerHop

Default Sig Wonder

the wonder with the norvel .15 flies like a dream, i have one and love to fly it, got it going really fast (144km/h) in a dive with a 8x4 this is rough but quite acurate, planning on a 7x6 prop soon,

werner
Old 07-04-2003, 11:57 AM
WerHop

Default Sig Wonder

pittman:

the same happened to me, but mine didn't crash, the verticle came off but was held on by the covering and caused it to stear and almost crashed but i could still stop the bad part.

quite a shocker

werner