Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

F/A 18 Hornet..what do you guys think???

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

F/A 18 Hornet..what do you guys think???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 10:06 AM
HaveBlue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F/A 18 Hornet..what do you guys think???

I have indeed become a big fan of prop jets... in talking with Bob Brassell (RCU's number one speed man).. he gave me a link to this kit . At the price I dont think its half bad.. the write up says that with the right engine /pipe combo plus retracts it will be within the 100 MPH envelope.. not altogether killer speed but no slow poke either..... if comes out half as good as the photo I think it will make a nice addition to the hangar... anyone seen this or knows how it flies???

http://www.junorc.com

http://www.junorc.com/e-commerce-sol....0.html.0.html
Old 02-04-2005, 10:43 AM
johntheroadie
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: F/A 18 Hornet..what do you guys think???

Another airplane that is on my need-to-get list. I'd like to hear more about it as well, although even if I had one, I'd be retired by the time I got to building it. I've read that the build can be a little tricky, but the price is right and looks good once finished.

***sigh***

So many airplanes, so little money
Old 02-04-2005, 11:15 AM
HaveBlue

I know exactly what you mean john..especially about the money... hell I spent my jett 90l money because that SU 27 looked so damn good!!! ..I love e-bay...now to rummage through the shed and see whats on the "gotta go" list...I really really want that jett 90l !!!!!

One of the popular R/C air mags here sells plans... but at $55.00 thats to close to a whole kit to bother with although..I too am strapped for time..I havent even finished the me 109 kit my dad bought me when I was 15.. I,m 41 now...so how's the prospect of finishing the flanker looking.......... NOT TO GOOD!!!
Old 02-04-2005, 12:20 PM
johntheroadie

ORIGINAL: HaveBlue

I havent even finished the me 109 kit my dad bought me when I was 15
Hehe...I know what you mean. I've been doing this for 3 years, and have managed to finish 5 kits...but it takes a long time for me to get it done. Matter of fact, the fastest way to get a kit finished is either sell or crash my primary airplanes. Then I have to get another one done. I think AK's jets look really smooth...you have good taste! Those are also on the need-to-get list. However, at my current rate, it's not going to happen. I've been working on a tomcat for the past 2 years...

Keep me informed on how your F-4 flies. I think my hanger may have more ARF's in it than it used to.

Thanks to TV, I don't have enough attention span to finish a kit anymore....what were we talking about again?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63536.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	224829  
Old 02-04-2005, 01:39 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: HaveBlue

... in talking with Bob Brassell (RCU's number one speed man)..
Don't give me that much credit! I'm just an engine guy I don't think Ive won a race in about 5 years.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

The Hornet sure looks sweet and the price is right.
Joe
Old 02-04-2005, 03:41 PM
bob27s

I was glad to see that Dereck down at Juno RC had revived the old Direct Connection F-18.

Its a good flying plane...... builts nicely......flys very well.

Of note, he also has the Tsunami .40 kit available too (and the .60 size eventually). These are fairly quick pattern-type aircraft. Very clean... they build light too.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Joe Ortiz

Definately on my want to have list.
Joe
Old 02-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a couple guys here a few years ago with the DC F18. It was a nice flyer but had takeoff problems. This also has me concerned with my SU 27 Flanker with the landing gear being so narrow.

The first guy had a heck of a time taking off. It was all over the runway. He then built another for a friend but put the mains in the wing and it was a big difference. Looked a bit silling on the ground but the take off roll was more stable.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Joe Ortiz

Hey Snoop, does this concern also applies to the retract setup?, I'ved never owned a jet, I'm looking at getting one sometime in the future, in landing gear principal, are they all the same?, I never hear problems with the landing gear in a plane like the Patriot or Tiger Shark.
Joe
Old 02-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Joe- The LG in the Patriot are REAL far apart in the wing, the F-20 looks similar... The only problem I had with my last Patriot was every other take-off roll 1 tire would come right off the rim if the roll was not perfectly straight![X(] Not a problem with those scale wheels landing on the "wheel", kinda noisy though...

That is what I get putting a Jett-50 up front! Had to actually GLUE the tires onto the wheels at one point-
Old 02-04-2005, 09:18 PM
bob27s

The F-18 gear track and geometry does make it somewhat problematic in a crosswind. Even the turbine guys will tell you about those adventures.

Ground track problems I saw with the DC version were mainly due to the long struts sorta whipping around a bit. One I saw.. the guy had a poorly installed nose steering cable. He made that worse by having a TON of nose steering input. Properly set up, take the time to set some toe-in on the mains, it had no trouble on a paved surface. Gear whipping was mainly on the grass.

Might be worth going with 3/16 wire gear, or some 3/8" struts (if that could be worked out geometry wise).
Old 02-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Joe Ortiz

Thanks for the input, I don't want to hijack this thread, but, I need advise on learning to fly these prop jets, I'm not new to flying, right now mainly low wing style sport and RCCA Combat Planes, is there a diffrence on how these planes handle in the air besides the ground handling issues? I'ved only seen one guy so far in our club with one of these prop jets, an F-15, cool looking plane, I would love to have one, since a turbine jet is out of my budget.
Joe
Old 02-04-2005, 11:20 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeh, what those guys said. My F20 and Patriots track like they are on rails. Prop jets are great . They are not as intimidating as you may think. If you are flying some real hot little P51 or similar, your not to far off. You know I would honestly recommend the Patriot as your first. The F-18 is nice but a bit of a building pain. The Patriot is a bit easier but still every bit as hot with the "right" engine.

ORIGINAL: Joe Ortiz

Thanks for the input, I don't want to hijack this thread, but, I need advise on learning to fly these prop jets, I'm not new to flying, right now mainly low wing style sport and RCCA Combat Planes, is there a diffrence on how these planes handle in the air besides the ground handling issues? I'ved only seen one guy so far in our club with one of these prop jets, an F-15, cool looking plane, I would love to have one, since a turbine jet is out of my budget.
Joe
Old 02-05-2005, 09:51 AM
bob27s

ORIGINAL: Snoop Doggy Bag

Yeh, what those guys said. My F20 and Patriots track like they are on rails. Prop jets are great . They are not as intimidating as you may think. If you are flying some real hot little P51 or similar, your not to far off. You know I would honestly recommend the Patriot as your first. The F-18 is nice but a bit of a building pain. The Patriot is a bit easier but still every bit as hot with the "right" engine.

Joe

Yeah, what he said!

No need to be intimdated. Most of the prop-jets were designed by guys who also designed pattern aircraft at one time. They tend to fly quite well. The Patriot is an easy flying plane...very good low-speed handling.

When you have one in the air and have some time on it, you can play with some throttle work on the landing approach. Nose-high power-on scale jet-like landings are a wonderful experience.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:28 AM
johntheroadie

I'm not new to flying, right now mainly low wing style sport and RCCA Combat Planes, is there a diffrence on how these planes handle in the air besides the ground handling issues?

Joe
Hey Joe, you won't have any problems with them with your flying experiance. Like Snoop and Bob said, they're honest airplanes and not difficult at all. My Great Planes F-15 is so easy to fly, it's practially a trainer. It flys off of grass easily and comes in slow and steady. Looks goofy with the fixed gear, but that keeps it simple and light . The only hard part about it is trying to convince other flyers how easy it flies.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Joe Ortiz

I have been looking into this plane, it will sure be something diffrent at the field, I think I'll put this in my must have list.
Joe