Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Retracts??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Oodles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retracts??

Getting the parts for a Patriot 40 size build--What retracts would you recomend? Air or mechanical?Landing on grass field--Thanks
Old 02-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Retracts??

Both are USUALLY fine- but when I saw "grass", Spring-Air retracts are the only way to go... They are stronger than the mech. and if you ever get low or have an air-leak they come down automaticaly- (Robarts and Rhom-Airs are great also...)

With mechanicals if you bend your gear on a landing (without noticing-) and the next flight they "stall" or get "hung-up" while cycling, your RX batt. will die a FAST death and same for your Pat.

I have a Patriot with mech. and had one with the "Pneumatics." both were incident free, but the airs had less slop, were stronger, and I worried less
Old 02-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

air retracts will cost a bit more but are worth the cost in the long run

a spring air setup will do fine gear doors will reduce drag even more
Old 02-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Oodles

Thanks for the advice--Some old timers at the field said air was the way to go--Looking for a hammer to break the piggie bank
Old 02-06-2005, 12:37 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try B&B retracts i bought a set from tower 6 mo ago for my 60 size f20
they were $100.00 at the time and work well they are the air type.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:40 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I posted B&B but its B&D sorry.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:45 AM
Bob.R
My Feedback: (2)

Many use Springairs. As razor commented, mechanicals can drain your battery if they hang up, so air may be your best bet. I am installing springairs in a plane I am presently building. Quality seems good. I believe 305's work for the Patriot 40, but, as I recall, some slight mods to the kit are required to fit the nose gear and get it fully retracted into the fuse. They cost over $100 however. Perhaps someone with experience building the Patriot 40 will chime in. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:05 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

The nice thing about the air retracts is they tend to be a bit easier to rig. Flex tubing is easier to deal with than pushrods.

Ive used both types - and a variety of brands. They all worked fine on both paved and grass. The struts are the key (some cheap gear come with soft wire struts that bend way too easily).

Of note, I have heard the things about mechanicals draining your battery. Ive never had it happen, and Ive never seen it happen.... (with the rare exception of an older pattern ship equipped with Kraft electric retracts - different animals). In my installations, I always review the gear operation before flight to ensure there is no hang-up... and if something got 'that stuck" some part of the control linkage tended to be the weak link. Most retract servos are geared down so far that they simply do not stall - either a linkage or the servo arm is going to break before you stall it.

I prefer the Spring-Air gear for most applications these days. B&D gear are excellent (although slightly different in mounting size than most retracts - just takes a bit of planning). I used the B&D on a number of pattern aircraft. Robarts metal frame gear are good too. I've not seen the EuroKit gear, but they intrigue me a bit.... in particular their gear struts!

The air are not all that much more expensive when you add it all up. Keep in mind you only require a single 'cheap, small' servo to operate the valve. No additional linkages to buy. No retract servo (or two, depending on the installation) Spring-air sells a complete set - includes everything except the air pump.

If you are going to rig up any sort of air-operated gear doors, you want air-up/air-down type gear. Nothing like running out of air, having your doors locked shut and you gear busting down (or worse, partically deploying) through the doors.

For mechanicals, Dave Brown (southern r/c classic), B&D, MK are awesome. Robarts are pretty good.

I even used the $16 cheapo "green gear" in my P-51 (hobbico, MPI, lots of people sell these) - grass field, cheap Cirrus retract servo. Very straight-forward 2 gear installation. Granted, these are not going to hold up long to a Patriot on grass. As its looks now, the gear are going to outlast this airframe - plastic parts are all starting to crack (VQ P-51D) after 3 years of flying.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41347.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	225702  
Old 02-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Methanolover

Well, I used Eurokit on my Patriot! Please take a look: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...tm.htm#1194725 post#6

those struts really helped on hard landings on grass!

Br Henrik