Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Patriot or Patriot XL?

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Patriot or Patriot XL?

Old 02-23-2005, 11:10 AM
johntheroadie
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot or Patriot XL?

Hey guys,

I'm setting my sights on either a patriot or patriot XL for maybe my next kit project and would like your opinions on either airplane. I fly off of grass so prop clearance and durable retracts are my only minor requirements (pet peeves more like). I like the XL because of it's size, but I got more .46 engines lying around to put in a 40 sized one. What would you guys get and why? Bear in mind, I'm not looking for all-out speed...not until my eyes can keep up with it. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2005, 01:41 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Patriot or Patriot XL?

I have both, although I haven't built the XL yet.

I like the 40 size better just because the XL has way too much plastic in the kit. Of course, you can leave off the plastic parts without compromizing structural integrity, but if you are going to build either of them "stock" then the smaller kit is more enjoyable to finish up IMHO.

Plus you're set up with smaller engines, might as well use what you have on hand.

Don
Old 02-23-2005, 07:10 PM
johntheroadie

Thanks for the reply Don. I feel the same way about plastic parts too. If I was to buy the XL, I think I would most likely leave off the intakes and build a balsa cowl instead of using the ABS one.

Last question; what do most of you guys have in your patriots, retracts or fixed gear? [sm=confused.gif] I like the slickness of retracts, but is it a hassle and added weight? For retracts, what is the preferred type that usually fitted (brand and type)? Thanks in advance...
Old 02-24-2005, 12:12 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Both of the planes fly quite well..... your choice. If you have a .46 sitting around, that should help make it an easier choice Either fly fine with fixed gear. If you want a good deal of speed, retracts are necessary.

This thread may be helpful on your retracts question
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2645261
Old 02-24-2005, 01:21 PM
johntheroadie

Thanks bob!
Old 02-27-2005, 06:29 PM
USAF05

i have built a patriot with retractable landing gear, but i am having a problem with the gear going back up and down. if anyone has any photos on how they placed or routed the lines please email me at [email protected] i would appreiate it so i can finally get this thing off the ground.
thanks
brian
Old 02-27-2005, 07:00 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

John- I have used both air (Pneumatic) and mechanical retracts and they both work well--- keep in mind that I fly off pavement so that surface is easier on the systems-

I prefer Spring-Air simply because they are easier to set-up and they ALWAYS come down! My mechanicals have worked flawlessly but whomever built the Patriot spent the time so I would not have to---

You gotta have retracts in these birds though...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66594.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	235790  
Old 02-27-2005, 08:30 PM
USAF05

where can i get a hold of the air retracts for the .40 patriot and how much
thanks again
brian
Old 02-27-2005, 11:38 PM
johntheroadie

I appreciate the advice Razor!

Tower has struck again, and they'll be a XL heading my way this week. I think I'll go with robart pneumatics due to the highly scientific fact that I have a set lying around here. I bought a set of hobbico mechanicals a long time ago, but I felt like they were so sloppy, I ditched them in favor of some pneumatics. [:'(] You get whatcha pay for...er maybe I got a bum set. Anybody want them? gear wire not included though...(I've used them on other stuff).

Old 02-28-2005, 07:20 AM
USAF05

SHOOT ILL TAKE THEM!!! just tell me how much and would they fit in a .40 patriot? and also a photo so i can see what they look like? thanks once again
brian
Old 02-28-2005, 09:40 AM
johntheroadie

I'll send you a PM brian...