Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Best choice performance engine .15 / .25

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Best choice performance engine .15 / .25

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 02:54 PM
AStrovannin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best choice performance engine .15 / .25

I know this isn't the most "extreme" thing in the world, but... What would be the best setup for some max speed from a 1/12 scale warbird. It's just a point of curiosity right now as I'm still working on my first plane and this will be for my next one. I just dont know alot about nitro motors, and even less about props and all that. For the record the plane would be a HOB FW-190. As far s I've heard a .10 is a good size, but a .25 will fit. I just thought all you speed maniacs might have some valuable input.

Thanks
Dustin
Old 02-28-2005, 09:46 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Best choice performance engine .15 / .25

A Pica 1/12 P51 showed up here today. I think it is about the same size as the HOB. I have been doing a lot of searching and reading. Right now I'm leaning towards the Norvel 25 Migmig, weighs ~ 8.1 oz with muffler. Still looking however, Mike
Old 02-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

On planes like that, bigger is usually better, because the .10 size engines generally suck IMO... and .25's just work better. So if you can get a .25 in there without compromising anything else, go for it.
When running a .25 engine you can keep the same prop diameter as you would use on a .10 engine, but you can make a good step up in pitch... that makes for some serious speed.

Last summer I saw a guy fly a 1/12 scale all glass P-51 (made in Czechia) with an OS .25... and that thing was moving! (for its size)... He was doing some 500 foot vertical power dives, you should have heard the little .25 unwinding! Awesome!
Old 02-28-2005, 11:05 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

If a .25 would fit, and your looking for extreme speed, look at the .32's. They are the same case as most .25's and slightly lighter. The O.S. .32 sx is a very good engine and would really make that plane scoot.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:27 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Are you talking about the House of Balsa 1/2A size FW190 ???

If so, anything over a hot .15 is sorta overkill........ just will end up heavy.

I had one of those years ago that I installed an ASP .12 in, and the plane was a blast to fly.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:09 PM
AStrovannin
My Feedback: (2)

Yeha it is th eHouse of Balsa Plane, but I just happened to get a good deal on a MVVS .15, but you say that is going to make it heavy? How does that affect the flight characteristics?
Old 03-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

I have the HOB Mustang 1/12, I got a Magnum and a OS .15 from my SSC Combat planes, I have not decided which one of these to stuff in it though, I think the .25 is way overkill.
Joe
Old 03-01-2005, 03:28 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: AStrovannin

Yeha it is th eHouse of Balsa Plane, but I just happened to get a good deal on a MVVS .15, but you say that is going to make it heavy? How does that affect the flight characteristics?

The MVVS 15 would be pleanty of power, and can be accomodated into the HOB plane without much issue.

An overweight plane = high wing loading = reduced turn radius = more load on the structure = higher stall speed and higher landing speeds.

Light is nible. Heavy is sluggish.

When those little HOB kits first came out in the 1970's, I built the P-51, Chimpmunk and the Bonanza. Chipmunk and P-51 flew just fine with a good ole Cox TD.049. The Bonanza had an Enya .09. Clearly, for speed and combat you do want a bit more engine, and the current .15 size engines weigh the same as that old .09 did.

You will see in the combat world where wing span and wing areas have increased quite a bit over the past few years. Wing loading is everything when you want to climb and turn tightly.