Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Crazy things done to Shrikes....

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Crazy things done to Shrikes....

Old 03-12-2005, 11:06 PM
smokinghole42
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy things done to Shrikes....

I am currently working on a Shrike 40 and am working on it beind able to go amphibious. It is getting canards and a single tail with the engine mounted on top. Has anyone else done crazy things with their shrikes?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:43 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Crazy things done to Shrikes....

I did a touch and go at 120+mph

durring lunch break at club funfly I decided all the slow flying stuff was for the tweeti bird. I got out my Shrike OS .46FX tuned pipe a lit up the runway...nobodyelse was flying at the time. Then on one very low pass at less than a foot, caught a down draft or Rx hiccup. The Shrike hit the high spot in the field and skipped off and the OS was quiet. Expecting a cloud of balsa dust mix with tumbling metal parts in the mix I was surprized it came off in one piece. OK time to see what works...ailerons ok, elevator ok, throttle nope, rudder nope but it didnot work at preflight. "Climbed" out, made a u-turn to land with a 10 knot tail wind. Skipped offf the field and into the tall grass and short saplings. Wing to caught a tree and and it came to rest. Post mortem showed firewall loose, fuse shattered~ split along grain, spars cracked wingsheeting damage, one fin loose one fin off, YET THE PROP WAS NOT BROKEN!!!

Bob Brother # 105