Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Diamond Dust...full sheeting??

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Diamond Dust...full sheeting??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 03:46 PM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Diamond Dust...full sheeting??

Is there any advantage to fully sheeting the Diamond Dust?
Just curious that's all.

Myles
Old 03-31-2005, 03:53 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Diamond Dust...full sheeting??

I have heard that the 190 mph DUSTS can shed monokote over open frame work. If you fly over a nice field, and somewhat slower than that, then MONOKOTE is just fine. Sheeting the bottom might be a good idea with 3/32" balsa. I sheeted mine back to the high point of the airfoil and the plane came out weighing 2.5 lbs with a .32. Probably my favorite plane.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:58 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think so... not without major mods...

The Dust as it is survives extreme maneuvers because it can flex. When doing extremely high "G" maneuvers you can see the airframe flex under the load quite a bit.
I think that if you sheet it, and still retain the stock radio "hatch" it is going to crack instead of flex...

Why would you want to sheet it?
Old 03-31-2005, 04:20 PM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thought maybe it might add some strength. It's just that it seems there is lots of open space in the wing area and I plan on flying this thing to the max with .45 ducted fan engine. I guess if i just put some type of strong tape along the leading edge to insure the covering doesn't seperate, it should be ok then? What covering is everyone using?
Thanks
Myles
Old 03-31-2005, 04:55 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look up XXspeed here ....

Dave built a few full-sheeted diamond dusts (or variations there of)

Bob
Old 04-01-2005, 12:28 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

My first Jett powered Dust survived over 100 flights with no sheeting and MonoKote. The biggest problem was holes and tears from landing but clear packing tape can patch the tears to continue the days flying. Wrap the covering around the leading edge so the air flow helps keep the covering on. Keep it light and it has a lot of wow factor.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:52 AM
rmorhan
My Feedback: (17)

myles, i would stick to ultracote as opposed to monokote. ( i beleive the manual states this) as for the full sheeting i was looking into it as well on my new dust, but i,m not sure it,s worth the effort... i would however double the bottom stock sheeting with 1/64 ply as this area takes alot of abuse.. resist the temptation to double the wimpy looking motor mount plate as it offers a clean breakaway in the event of a prop strike (or worse) .my prop hit the ground at full bore on a super low high speed pass with a jett ss 40 & while the airframe shot straight up 40 feet with the engine dangling & kinda glided back down the only damage was a broken prop , a tear in the covering & the motor mount. (got lots of applause from the old farts club on that maneuver !!) i epoxied a new motor mount over the old one & patched the covering in a half hour flat... also resist the temptation of flying this plane if any of your faint of heart club members are present..a couple of my buddies got kicked out of my last club for dangerous flying (read brutally fast must be dangerous ! ) they were running piped rossi 45s , yours should smoke theirs on a fan motor !! post or send some pics of the beast as it progresses !! what prop are you using on it ?? take care...rob m [email protected]
Old 04-02-2005, 10:11 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I sheeted back to the high point of the ribs too and the difference was noticable, less noise from the covering virating at high speed and it hold the airfoil better between the ribs, noticable in that it glides better on landings. It also has held up better, less rips and tears.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:43 PM
twigster
My Feedback: (8)

i was gonna use monocote, but Jeff Gillbert the designer himself told me that utlra cote was a MUST.. it's much stronger to put up with the abuse of those belly landings... even though i killed mine on the first day of flying it...it was such a blast to fly that thing, i'm gonna have to order another kit..
Old 04-03-2005, 08:54 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ultra coat is the way to go on this model. i had monokote on the first one until it tore off in the air...it was like a big spead break! made a tremendous racket but the model was not damaged so i switced to ultra coat. just built a new one this winter and finished it with ultra coat. you'll have fun with this plane!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60499.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	253320  
Old 04-03-2005, 11:28 AM
evan-RCU

Every one has their opinions, mine is that Monokote works good enough on the DD, never had a problem with it that I wouldn't have had otherwise.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:52 PM
Mike Connor

I'm with you even-RCU. Monokote works fine on a Dust. But what do I know. I only have about 140+ flights on a Jett powered Dust. If there is a covering that sticks wont punch holes in, please let me know what it is.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:35 PM
RCAV8OR1994

No real need to sheet,I did a little sheeting around engine, throttle servo,and tank, this was mainly for covering purpose. I've seen monocote shatter ,I personal recommed Ultracote, I also used a piece of clear vinly on the bottom middle section. I have close to 50 flights on my dust, I'm running an MVS 40 RE w/full lenght non baffled pipe, running Cool Power 30% heli fuel w/ APC8X10. This plane has SMOKED planes known to fly in the 170's.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:02 PM
Kaos1

I built mine stock. The only thing when it came to covering was that I used Monocoat all around. On the bottom, I applied a second layer 90 degrees to the first to allow for any "grain" in the covering. This was powered with a Picco 45 RIRE with pipe. There have been many holes punched in the sky with this machine over it's lifetime and never had a bit of trouble with the covering save a little landing damage from rocks and twigs. Never flew it in the cold, all polymer coverings become a little less resilient when they get cold.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64125.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	278368  
Old 06-08-2005, 02:42 AM
RC_Pilot2k
My Feedback: (26)

I'm building one now and sheeting it for Turbine use. Gonna glass the sheeting and then paint it. It should move pretty good with a 7lb thrust turbine.

Old 06-11-2005, 04:27 AM
Evil Homer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Kaos1
How does your DD fly with the Picco, I have two Picco RIRE 45's, one is the DF like yours, the other just have a venturi on it, slightly different port timings as well.
Anyways I originally thought about putting one of the Picco's on, I then decided on the easy route and went with a Jett 40, simplified throttle mainly, so how did you set yours up?
Cheers
EH
Old 06-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Mike Connor

ORIGINAL: RC_Pilot2k

I'm building one now and sheeting it for Turbine use. Gonna glass the sheeting and then paint it. It should move pretty good with a 7lb thrust turbine.

[X(] How about a picture.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:24 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Myles, take a look at this video:

http://www.rcdon.com/html/the_shrike-cam.html

watch the wing covering move up and down....
I have sheeted the wings on my Patriot for a good reason.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:00 AM
scotty302

On both of my Diamond dusts, there was only the need to double up the covering (ultrakote) on the top and bottom along the leading edge and another set of strips from front to back. This way I didn't hear any more flapping of the covering when coming out of the vertical. The first one had a webra 40 with pipe, not too many problems and still have the plane. I just modified it to have full flying vtails(foam core) looks like the f117 stealth with a set of canards since i extended the nose to accommodate the nose gear retract. The mains retract outwards and use quickie 500 wheels. That took all the speed out of it but talk about maneuverable. I didn't build it from a kit and used 5 ply birch and carbon fiber kite tubes and arrow shafts for the structure. Very strong especially when I built a second to fly with an OS40VRP with a 4 inch mini pipe, lots of power and averaged 20k rpm's on ground prior to launching. APC 9X8.5 pylon worked just fine and 15% nitro. Picked up a fuel regulator from one of the formula 1 pilots so it would pressurize the fuel tank up with a check valve just like the ys engines. I'm really glad the fuel cutoff was working because I realized there wasn't enough covering the first flight and one of the vertical stabs were fluttering. When all the bugs were worked out, I asked several people during a jet meet to estimate the speed and the average answer was 220 but without a speed trap I will never know. Did have an encounter with a tree branch on the last landing which required replacing the leading edge arrow shaft. Should have it recovered soon.
I did build from a kit another one for a friend while he was on assignment overseas and wanted to use the OS 46 VRDF. It was very fast but he didn't know to maintain covering when you know that it shreds with just a few tears in the top covering. It was entertaining to watch it loose all of the top covering on one of the wings and still managed to land with minor damage.
Scott...
Old 07-18-2005, 05:26 AM
Kaos1

EH

The Picco is one of the best engines that I have owned. Great power and good fuel economy. The DD came out at 2.25 lbs, a real light weight terror. I don't know how this would compare to a Jett but I can assure you that while I had this machine, it was the quickest at our field. I later sold it and wish that I hadn't.

Kaos1

ORIGINAL: Evil Homer

Hey Kaos1
How does your DD fly with the Picco, I have two Picco RIRE 45's, one is the DF like yours, the other just have a venturi on it, slightly different port timings as well.
Anyways I originally thought about putting one of the Picco's on, I then decided on the easy route and went with a Jett 40, simplified throttle mainly, so how did you set yours up?
Cheers
EH
Old 01-31-2006, 12:50 AM
Cyclic Hardover

What about a solid piece between the vertical stabs as a hand hold to launch it.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:27 PM
evan-RCU

Why? I hold the tuned pipe to launch it...
Old 01-31-2006, 10:18 PM
Cyclic Hardover

So I guess the pipe is not yet hot enough after warming up the engine?
Old 02-01-2006, 09:13 AM
evan-RCU

I fold up a paper towel so I don't burn my fingers...
Old 02-04-2006, 11:02 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

What about a solid piece between the vertical stabs as a hand hold to launch it.
On the jett photo pages, there are a few photos of Gene's old DD. He fixed the TE between the fins (moved the ailerons outboard a bit) to give himself a hand-hold. Worked pretty well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.