Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Yay!!! It's Almost Ready!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Yay!!! It's Almost Ready!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 06:32 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yay!!! It's Almost Ready!!!

I now have the whiplash with the Can-Am scheme, the Jett BSE FIRE 50 & pipe & balanced spinner, digital servos, carbon pushrods.... now just have to stick it all in I CAN'T WAIT.. I'd post pics if I could figure out how to Wish me luck
Old 10-04-2002, 08:04 PM
Glorfindel

Good luck buddy i will do the maiden flight of mine tomorrow too
Old 10-05-2002, 02:05 AM
jlong34016
My Feedback: (1)

Default weight

Mine ready to go too. Some concerns. 1)weight-4lb 6.7oz. seems way heavy. 2)evlevons-takes everything i have just to move the servo arms. seems way too stiff. May take nelson off and use jett fire 50 and pipe.
Old 10-05-2002, 11:33 AM
jlong34016

Default stiff elevons

Elevons wont move right with high torque servos 9206 and the included servo horns. Horns are very short and cant get mechanical advantage needed to more these rigid hinges. Going to have to change linkage around.
Old 10-05-2002, 12:46 PM
Glorfindel

Same prob as me..see my post : http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...20&forumid=162

Mine is : 1881.5g or 66.36oz. or 4lbs 2 oz. or 4.15lbs )
Old 10-05-2002, 08:33 PM
jlong34016

Default whiplash

This plane seems to be an experimental model. These hinges should never have been used on production plane. I see the new X model has hinge cuts to loosen them up. Bagostix never replied to the post asking if the original suckers, i mean owners, should cut there hinges in a similar fashion. I dont think i am going to risk a 500 dollar engine/spinner, 300 dollars of servos, 80 dollar reciever on this plane. I have an os 32 with pipe but at 4.5 pounds this is not going to be much of a wild ride. Plus i still have the elevon issue. For now i will stick to my dust until it returns to dust.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:58 PM
BAGOSTIX
My Feedback: (178)

Default whiplash

Mr. Long, first of all we have just been through a category 1 Hurricane, its very hard to reply to e mails and or posts with no electricity, secondly, if you are unhappy with your whiplash, by all means please return it for a full credit including the return cost.
But please, dont refer to our many many satisfied customers as "suckers", this is not an experimental aircraft, if you would have followed any of the posts you will see that there are many people flying this plane with great success and are very happy, perhaps this is a bit beyond your capabilities??

I truly resent your insinuations about the whiplash and our customers, please do not fly this airplane if you are in the least bit uncomfortable, we wouldnt want you to risk your engine or the purchase price, not to mention the safety of others around you..

Rick B ACM
Old 10-06-2002, 12:17 AM
IMAC Buff
My Feedback: (8)

I think Rick has summed it up.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:28 AM
AtomicFrawg

Yep.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:34 AM
jlong34016

Default whiplash

Not beyond my capabilities but beyond my expectations. This thing clearly is being tested in the field by unexpecting customers. I would have had no problem had it been presented as an aircraft under development. Then i would have checked and tested everything as i went along instead of just following the sparse instructions. Furthermore i prefer to scratch build so i know what i have but time limitations dictate i get some arf's. Since you have said the hinges are kevlar (right?) i now know i can cut/break the hinge line composite surface. After replacing the way too small robart horns with appropriate sized hardware i now have properly working elevons. I did have to cut down the leading edge of the fins to get clearance despite moving the horns out a couple inches. I suppose i should tape the cracked hinge line so it doesn't delaminate like the other one posted here.
Now i have launcher issues. The shuttle is supposed to go between the engine and the "firewall"? Well guess what, there is no room for the tab to fit there. Now i have a bolted on engine with a ton of locktight and screws pulled into the composite mount that i have to try to get back off to cut away material to get the shuttle tab to fit.
None of this extra work was expected. In fact you said i would be amazed how easily it goes together.
Not bashing your product but as indicated by Whiplash X improvements the original has several "issues" which by all means are not minor and in my opinion should have been resolved prior to marketing.
If you would like an alpha tester for the backlash let me know. I have a Moki 2.10 and a OS 1.40 RX EFI sitting around without a home. Am more than willing to help debug prior to full production.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	28975_7285.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	18259  
Old 10-06-2002, 12:37 AM
jlong34016

Default elevons

Heres what linkage looks like. I turned the servos around so i could use the same pushrods. I would not have had to cut as much off fins the other way but its the last set i have on hand and im going to fly sunday morning.

Name:	28976_7285.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	18260  
Old 10-06-2002, 02:37 PM
BAGOSTIX

Default whiplashX

The one question that lingers in my mind is: how can you refer to this as an experimental aircraft being tested by unsuspecting buyers when there are a substantial number of whiplashes flying and have been for sometime..??

Why are you having all of these problems and no one else has had any of these issues raised besides the stiff control surfaces?

I really dont want to debate you, but I will stand up for our product till the cows come home, and ultimately we want you to be happy with your whiplash, not bash it..

If you read the posts that have been submitted, you will see that the stiff surfaces have always been explained, and it is the nature of this aircraft, it isnt an issue when setup properly.

I hope your flight goes well, and I hope once you fly this plane, you will see why there are so many happy owners, and 0 suckers.

please give us a report when you fly her..
Old 10-06-2002, 03:04 PM
BigD
My Feedback: (179)

Default jlong, Fly the plane...already!

jlong, as someone who has limited building (and flying) skills, but has successfully built and flown 2 whiplashes, I can personally assure you that this plane is NOT experimental. It does everything as advertised and has a lot fewer problems coming out of the box and going into the air than a lot of the ARFs on the market today. Every manufacturer discovers improvements to a product as a result of widespread usage and manufacturing variances. Nothing new or experimental about that. Stop whining and fly the plane already.....you'll love it if speed is what you're after....as for Bagostix (Rick), you won't find find a nicer or more honest guy in the hobby....

Old 10-06-2002, 05:45 PM
jlong34016

Default whiplash issues

1)antenna tube non-functional: multiple reports
2)stiff elevons: universal
3)robart control horns too small: universal
4)cracks and imperfections in finish: multiple reports
5)fins improperly fitting: multiple reports
6)voids in engine mount: ok maybe i had the only one

There is no debate here. I am not the only one to have these things occur. None turns out to be a big deal. I didn't even complain that much. It is frustrating to expect to fly a plane with a couple hours work and end up taking weeks due to unexpected complications. Sure if i built a second one i could do it in one night but the point is i should have been able to do it in one night the first time. The fact that i didn't speaks to the construction and directions i had to work with.

First flight. Nelson 7.4 x 8. Didn't tach. First launch at 3/4 throttle. Duration of flight 3 seconds. Plowed right into the ground.
Second flight. New prop. Full power, big twist to the left on takeoff . A little trim goes a long way at full throttle. Nearly lost it.
Two clicks right, two clicks down. Flies great. Hard to clock with radar gun due to low profile. But i got upper 140's consistently.
Overall great plane. Flies very well.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:04 PM
IMAC Buff

For whatever it is worth I think the purpose of this thread has gotton way off beat. First, If you have specific problems with a product that you have purchased from a manufacturer you should contact them directly. This is not a forum for grandstanding or Bashing a manufacturer or person, and or persons. Second, anyone who would be attemping to fly a Whiplash or any other high performance airplane would certainly do his homework first, on the airplane, and the manufactuer that builds them. Third, the instructions clearly indicate that this is NOT a airplane for the beginer. Which implies that the builder will be able to asemble and fly the airframe in a safe and responsible matter. And last anyone who has flown high performance airplanes would certainly NOT put Z-bends on the servo arms. Just my two cents worth.

I think this thread has reached its end now and should be closed.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:08 PM
jlong34016

Default z bends on servos

Whats wrong with z bends? I have them on my turbine as well. Never had a z bend fail. Tight as can be. No soldering, no glueing. Perfect fit. .
Old 10-06-2002, 10:25 PM
AtomicFrawg

Z bends on a turbine? OK
And calling people A-holes is not very nice

Later
Chris
Old 10-06-2002, 11:07 PM
jlong34016

Default z bends

Still waiting for an explanation. Apparently people think its not a good way to do it. I cant think of a problem but maybe i am overlooking something.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:20 PM
jlong34016

Default kangaroo z bends

Heres my roo. Digital servos,electordynamics isolator,redundant servo batteries and switches,separate receiver pack,9z futaba receiver and yes all run thru a z-bend rod.
Im not saying this is the absolute best way to do it. But i find nothing wrong with it and has never failed me. I actually bought carbon fiber tubes and althread 4-40 wire with that black glue for the whiplash but having never used that setup before i dont trust it. I can see the glue joint vibrating and cracking whereas my rod is virtually indestructable.

Name:	29114_7285.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	18261  
Old 10-06-2002, 11:40 PM
BAGOSTIX

Default recover

Mr. Long , I think a lot of this could have been avoided if in the beginning you would have returned the airplane, and in the end not refer to our customers as "suckers". We are always more than willing to resolve any issue with any of our products, and all it takes is a phone call or an e mail.

Glad you flew your plane, glad it performed for you, if its not to your satisfaction, do as I had advised earlier and return it for credit or replacement..

Speaking for myself, I can give you countless names of people I have dealt with relative to ACM and otherwise, and selling bad airplanes is not what I'm in this hobby for...

Big D thanks for the compliments pal... you are a prime example of the type of customer ACM has...

I'm finished with this post, I suggest we all move on before the moderator gets a hold of us... : )
Old 10-06-2002, 11:46 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

heck.. for the record.. I love the way my Whiplash came to me.. Everything fit nicely, and it was a JOY to do the final assembly.. Nice work ACM!!!!!!!!! You get what you pay for
Old 10-07-2002, 12:48 AM
BTM

I just watched the flight videos off of your web site Rick, and all I can say is 'HOLY F*#KING SMOKES!!!
I want one of these rockets in the hanger for next year!