Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

ROSSI 61 FIRE w/Macs Pipe

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

ROSSI 61 FIRE w/Macs Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 03:35 PM
magnumeng
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ROSSI 61 FIRE w/Macs Pipe

Okay speed freaks,

I am about to start tuning my Rossi in for action. The engine is a Rossi 60 FIRE w/Mac Tuned Pipe. I plan on using 15% nitro Helo. My target RPM on the ground is 18000. Am I being reasonable in this goal? What would be a good prop to start with? I am thinking for break in 10x6 or 10x7. Am on the right track?
Old 05-26-2005, 08:25 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: ROSSI 61 FIRE w/Macs Pipe

Thats a lot of RPM's but the Rossi can do it with the smaller props (they ran in fans up at those rpms years ago).

Only question is, why are you looking for that high of an RPM ?? The Rossi .61 is much more comfortable turning props in the 13K rpm range.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:20 AM
magnumeng

Just trying to get as much out of it as I could with out hurting it to much. Some one else has also stated that my 18000 goal was a little on the HIGH side. So I think I will back it down to 13-14000.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:02 AM
bob27s

Ah...... ok

Yes, the engine can deal with and run at those rpms, but your match of airframe and prop would have to be pretty special to fly it that way.

If you want speed from it on any reasonable airframe, try a 10x9 or 10x10 prop...

As a speed set-up, I would suggest.....
Initially break the engine in with an 11x7, run the header its stock full length. Get at least 5-10 minutes on it that way. Take it near peak rpm, back off a bit so it is slightly rich ... let it run full throttle.
Next.....
Put in on a test stand, and install an 11x9 prop on it. Start cutting on the header 1/4" at a time - lean the engine until the rpm reaches peak, note that number, and then back out the needle a bit. Shut down and cut again. (do not worry about specific rpm numbers). Your last cut is where the peak rpm no longer increases from the previous cut, the engine runs weird, and is hard to needle - it struggles to get on the pipe. (on a RE .61, this should be about 13" from plug to fat section pipe seam if I recall properly - start somewhere longer than that). At this point, you now have a pipe that is slightly too-short for the 11x9. Then put an 11x8 on it. Do not touch the pipe. Note the peak rpm. This is what your target will be from then on. You can try various 11 and 10" props that run about that same RPM. Tuned for the 11x8, you should easily be able to pull the 10x10 at the same rpm... and it will unload into the sweet spot of the pipe and engine power range in the air.

Depending on the airframe, you might even be able to fly with the 11x9 after you get use to the engine/plane, if you use great care setting the needle. Basically, set the needle with the 11x8, and leave it there. Then put the 11x9 on. As it unloads in the air, it will jump on the pipe and take off.

Bob
Old 05-26-2005, 10:12 AM
magnumeng

Bob,

Thank you very much... That was the help I was looking for. I am new to these tuned pipes. This engine is going on a Sig Kougar. So I will be using it for both High Speed and Basic Pattern Flying. It should be a nice set up once properly set. Once again thank you.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Paternguy
My Feedback: (1)

I always found a nice wood prop 11-8 or 11-9 to work very well with the rossi's on the older style pattern ships (Kouger, King Kobra, Dirty Birdi). The best prop I ever found was the the old Rev-Up 11-7 3/4 props, to bad we can't get them anymore. []
Old 05-26-2005, 10:58 AM
bob27s

ORIGINAL: Paternguy

I always found a nice wood prop 11-8 or 11-9 to work very well with the rossi's on the older style pattern ships (Kouger, King Kobra, Dirty Birdi). The best prop I ever found was the the old Rev-Up 11-7 3/4 props, to bad we can't get them anymore. []
Yep, exactly The APC 11x8 tends to run like the old rev-up 7-3/4 use to. The D&W 11x9 props were awesome, but again, not available any more.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Paternguy

I have had good luck with the Top Flight Power Point 11-9 on this engine too.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Too bad there are guys as smart as Bob27.... I never have anything productive to say after they have ben here---

The Cougar/Rossi combo will be sweet but fast- you shooting for 80's style pattern? That is hat I prefer---
Old 05-27-2005, 09:36 AM
Paternguy

You want to prop this engine and lug it down a little bit for your application, with the Kouger, if you put a smaller prop on it and let the engine rev up, you may see slightly faster straight line performance, but you Will bleed off a lot of airspeed when you go vertical. The smaller prop wont have enough bite for any kind of vertical maneuvers. Remember this airframe is not a Diamond Dust, you have a lot more drag to overcome with this airframe, so you will have to make some compromises to achieve the best all around performance. The Kouger/Rossi with an 11-8 or 11-9 will still haul the freight and be able to do vertical maneuvers.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:44 AM
magnumeng

Finally got around to starting up my Rossi... MAN is this one a BEAST. Thanks to all the info you guys gave me I think I have it tuned about right. Turning a 11x8 at 13,500 on the ground. The Pipe is set at 13.5 inches. Now all I have to do is re-install it on my Kougar and take it for a test flight. Should be interesting.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:59 AM
magnumeng

Test flew my Kougar last night with the Rossi 60 on the front... lets just say WOW... Takes off at just under 1/2 throttle and goes RIGHT where I point it... got to love them old sig kits. Full power is just amazing, although I don't think i am getting it up on the pipe for some reason... I am going to try a different prop and see how that goes. Ground RPM is 13.300 ish with a 11/8 and the pipe set at 13.25.

As for how fast? I would have to say in the mid 80-90 range FLAT and LEVEL.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:00 AM
bob27s

Try one prop size smaller (11x7) , and one size larger (11x9). Do not change the pipe length.

See how the engine responds on the ground and in flight. That will give you an idea on where the tuning point is.

However, if the engine is well behaved and running well, there is no real reason to mess with it

Chances are with the 11x8 at 13.25" it is staying on the pipe the entire time - you will not hear it stage
Old 06-17-2005, 02:40 PM
magnumeng

Here is a pic of my Kougar with the 60 mounted in it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66402.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	286337  
Old 10-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Magnumeng,

How did you managed to fit R60 in that small cowl and did you had to shave/groove firewall?, i wanted to put Mag 65Gp SE in mine but i was told it wont fit and would be very heavy for the bird?, so what do you say, plus i am also looking to get Rossi 45 for this bird also as other option, what do you think. I want to use this Kouger to train myself towards flying my Df TGA F15 Jet.....

Sammy
Old 10-25-2005, 05:31 AM
magnumeng

I mounted my engine on its side. Since my engine has rear exhaust I had to put a grove in the fire wall the the exhaust to clear. You will want to sand as much of the fuse you can to make it as light as possible. Mine came out about .5-1 pound heavy and balancing it was not easy with that big of an engine up front.

As for putting a Magnum 65GP I would have to recommend against it. Most 40 size engines can put out as much if not more power than it. I would stick with the ROSSI 40. It is a powerful engine. Just be carefure with the how the exhaust comes out. If you mount the engine on the 45deg like instructions tell you. Depending on with exhaust pipe you have it more thank likely will will point right at the leading edge of the wing with about .5 in gap.

Hope this helps, good luck