Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

New plane, whatya think??

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

New plane, whatya think??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 10:21 AM
SpencerC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New plane, whatya think??

Hey guys, hows this plane look? Its got a 46" span and is 36" long. It has a os 25 in it. Looks pretty quick to me, any idea just how fast it might go? My guess would be in the 80's?
I'm pretty sure its a strega but I can't find any information on where it comes from or who made it?? Any information would be great
Old 06-23-2005, 10:31 AM
SpencerC

Default RE: New plane, whatya think??

Heres another picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31367.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	288711  
Old 06-23-2005, 09:18 PM
RC-Captain

Ok I love it but.... your pics are to large to actually look at the entire picture. I have heard of this plane but didn't know it came in a .25 size . Once I move I know for sure what plane I will purchase.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:53 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: SpencerC

Hey guys, hows this plane look? Its got a 46" span and is 36" long. It has a os 25 in it. Looks pretty quick to me, any idea just how fast it might go? My guess would be in the 80's?
I'm pretty sure its a strega but I can't find any information on where it comes from or who made it?? Any information would be great
The plane looks good... sleek... it should move pretty good. Only one thing that kinda sucks: flat plate tail surfaces... It would be nice if you could redo those some way.

I think that if you bolt a mousse can to that .25, and slap on a 7x6 prop, it will do quite a bit more than 80... you may even top 100 (I'm being consevative here). Those .25's rev pretty good with a small enough prop.

Last year at the Eurocup (Club 20 racing) there was a guy using an OS .25... nobody noticed (it is "illegal"), because the engine was a "dog" compared to the real racing engines... but still his plane was moving nicely, especially when considering he was just using a sport engine. Nobody said anything about it, because the guy was clearly in it for the fun.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:05 PM
SpencerC

Do the flat plate tail surfaces hinder performance much?? Also, do you guys think its sleek enough to run a 7" diameter? I thought it would require at least an 8" to bite any air??

-edit- Then again, I really don't know what kind of prop a plane like this should be running, feel free to enlighten me
Old 06-23-2005, 10:54 PM
AlexF

I've read [link=http://homepage.mac.com/mikejames/nextcraft_site/aircraftdesignconcepts.html]here[/link] that for surfaces with chord less than about 5", flat plates work as well as anything else. If it was me, I wouldn't bother changing the tail for that reason. Anyway, [link=http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/linkage.htm]this guy[/link] claims a typical horizontal stab only makes 5% of the drag of the airframe, so if that's right you're not going to make great huge gains no matter what you do to that stab.

The plane looks really cool. How thick is the wing?

If it's not fast enough you can always get something from jett for it : )
Old 06-24-2005, 12:06 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

With that wing span I am thinking a 8" prop may work best unless the plane is cleaner then it looks.

Old 06-24-2005, 12:25 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

I agree 8" is as short as I would go... I would put a Jett-40 and aluminum spinner on there right away-

That is one GOOD looking airplane! And retracts no less...
Old 06-24-2005, 12:38 AM
JuniorPilot

Spencer can't wait to see that baby fly! Looks good!
Old 06-24-2005, 01:08 AM
SpencerC

hehe you're not the only one Chris. I'll take more pictures to show you guys how thin the wing is etc. Any other estimates on speed? Do you think 80 would be conservative with the engine it has now?
Old 06-24-2005, 07:58 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Looks like it has some plastic pieces - ARF type model. Correct ?? That is definately something that could still sell fairly well these days. People like Reno birds.

Nice aircraft though. Not sure who's kit/model it is. EZ use to make a few little racers like that a while back. May be one of those.

Fly it with an 8x6 out front at first until you learn about the plane and how it behaves. Afterwards you can drop down to a 7x6 and let the engine turn - but keep in mind the smaller prop will require a longer take-off roll, and will have less initial speed and rate-of-climb. Long flat climb, and a gentle first turn... then it will go like heck

Old 06-24-2005, 09:16 AM
SpencerC

Bingo, it plastic peices and does seem like it's an ARF. I thought it was a little EZ model too but couldn't find anything on the internet? Anyone have a link or pictures?
Old 06-24-2005, 12:29 PM
SpencerC

here are some more pictures, to give you an idea of how thick the fuse is, the prop is a 9x6. Also, how does the wing look? Seems pretty thin to me. What do you guys think I should use throw wise too?? I'm worried I'll put too much and it will be out of control and I am equally worried that I will not have enough throw...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82096.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	289214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81481.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	289215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61808.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	289216  
Old 06-24-2005, 03:45 PM
happyal

Sure look nice, my guess about the speed would be around 100. Love the retracks, makes it look all grown up

Pink planes always fly the best
Old 06-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: SpencerC

......the prop is a 9x6......how does the wing look? Seems pretty thin to me. What do you guys think I should use throw wise too??
I would think the 9x6 is too much prop for a O.S. 25. Wing looks pretty clean to me. The thickness divided by the cord will give you the % thickness. 12% or thinner wings are usually used for speed. Not sure about throws. I would set up dual rates and maybe a little expo on the high rates. I would rather have too much throws then not enough. Just keep the speed down if the controls are too sensitive.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:20 PM
Hotrodkid

a quick measure from the pic puts wingthickness at 12.9 %

nice slim fuse, wind fillets ... looks like a nice clean design ... how much does it weigh ?
Old 06-24-2005, 08:28 PM
SpencerC

Not sure on the weight. My guess is around 3.5 pounds does that sound about right?
Old 06-24-2005, 09:06 PM
SpencerC

Also, the weight I guessed include the 1100MAH battery which I think probably adds quite a bit of weight. Would the plane still be fairly light at 3.5 pounds?
Old 06-24-2005, 09:30 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Yes, 3.5 lbs. is fairly light- what is the wing loading? I would use a smaller RX batt. pack anyways---

Does not look like an EZ bird, I had 2 of the Reno racers and they were different--

Looks *****in though!
Old 06-24-2005, 10:11 PM
RC-Captain

will you fly the thing already ?
Old 06-24-2005, 10:38 PM
SpencerC

hopefully sometime with weekend. Seems like it might have a nasty nosing over problem. Perhaps I'm not putting the CG at the right place. I tried to use a CG calculator but not sure I did the measurements right, it put the MAC at 9 inches from the root chrod and the CG 2.6 inches back from the leading edge. Am I way off?
Old 06-24-2005, 10:44 PM
RC-Captain

Use the spar for the imaginary COG, using two fingers or a CG machine balance from this point. After you fly you can make adjustments accordingly. I'm starting to like a slighty tail heavy plane with the fuel tank empty being that I never land with the tank empty. GL
Old 06-24-2005, 10:46 PM
SpencerC

I would use the spar.. However the wing is not normal construction. I cannot detect a spar, it seems to be sheeted foam wing of some type.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:51 PM
RC-Captain

The highest point of the wing ,on top, would be where the SPAR would be installed. GL

PS I think you are scared
Old 06-24-2005, 10:57 PM
SpencerC

hahaha I think you're right. I really don't want to crash this so I want to make sure everything's right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.