Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

lanier shrike

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 12:56 AM
roywiglesworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lanier shrike

anyone flying the shrike .had a buddy that just left our area
and he gave me one on his way out of town .this is the 15 size one with the 35 inch wing.never seen one of these fly but some one said they would move with the right motor so put the same thing on it that i have on my diamond dust its a o.s max 32 sx
with a performance specilty piston / sleeve combo and mac tune pipe on the dd i was running an 8x8 and getting about 18,000 rpm anyone know how these planes do? it should get its first flight this weekend i was just wondering what to exspect.
roy
Old 10-23-2002, 07:19 AM
Bob Parker
My Feedback: (18)

Default Shrike

I flew a 40 size with a Webra speed 50 and tune pipe for over a year untill I did a dumb thumb thing. It flew wright out of your hand. Nothing but pure joy to fly, going to have to get another
Old 10-23-2002, 12:21 PM
ckoerner
My Feedback: (2)

Default lanier shrike

Roy,
I have the .15 size with a .32sx on it w/tuned pipe. Super fast. I did have to re-inforce the wing a little. I lost the wing on the first one. Also I moved the firewall back just over a 1/4". And back by the tall, I put 5/16 balsa inside the framed area for more support. It flies great. Just make sure you have dual rates set up so you can use full elevator upon landing. On my last one, I also sheeted the whole wing. I never weighed it, but it seems all right at the current weight. I have had 4 shrikes now. Two still flying. The other one has a .25 in it. I don't fly it much because it's boring after flying the other one. The one with the .32 will take off out of my hand at about 1/2 throttle. One other thing I do is angle the fins in instead of out. Just my preference.
Good Luck!
Craig
Craig's Shrike
Old 10-23-2002, 10:44 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lanier shrike

This is my .40 size with a TT46pro and a Performance Specs Ultrathrust. 9/7apc turning 17000rpm and around 115mph for a Kmart version. Not too shabby. Go with that 32. Even a Webra 32 will smoke it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	32009_8393.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	20134  
Old 11-18-2002, 07:57 AM
Dan Taylor

Default lanier shrike

Have had three shrikes
two of the 15 size ones with os 10s on them
very fast and quick
I now have the 40 size
Installed a jomar airspeed indicator
w OS .40fp and 10 x 6 prop highest recorded speed so far
122 mph
am thinking about uping the power to a MVVS 49 w/pipe
Old 11-18-2002, 12:46 PM
Jeff Leavitt

Default lanier shrike

Dan,

Hey, try a APC 9x7 on your 40 size Shrike. I think you'll find some more speed. Interesting comment re: your on board air speed indicator. I'm not famillar with that one. Got a link or additional info? How big is it? Best Regards, Jeff Leavitt
Old 11-18-2002, 04:58 PM
Dan Taylor

Default lanier shrike

Jeff,
the web site for the onboard Elecronics
/www.emsjomar.com/
ithe onboard box is about the size of a reciever
it comes with all the tubing to hook it up
You will have to by 1 Display so you can down load the data when
yo land
neat stuff
Dan Taylor
Old 11-19-2002, 01:36 PM
Jeff Leavitt

Default lanier shrike

Dan,

Thanks for the link. Interesting stuff. The airspeed pkg. may be a little big for my 1/2a racers though..... Thanks again...... Jeff
Old 11-19-2002, 02:23 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default lanier shrike

a few years ago a club member flew your size strike with a TT-32 now that one was bad beast 100+ MPH zooooommmmm
Old 11-19-2002, 06:06 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Default lanier shrike

i've got a 15 shrike with a 21 in it, nice and fast, little nose heavy tho. now missing the right wing. must remember to pull up before i hit the ground
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	36451_743.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	20135  
Old 11-19-2002, 10:50 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lanier shrike

Originally posted by Dan Taylor
Have had three shrikes
two of the 15 size ones with os 10s on them
very fast and quick
I now have the 40 size
Installed a jomar airspeed indicator
w OS .40fp and 10 x 6 prop highest recorded speed so far
122 mph
am thinking about uping the power to a MVVS 49 w/pipe

Hey Dan, I checked this out and looks like i may go for it I read over the basics of how it works. Pretty much the same as any full size Pitot system. How is the data collected tofind your speed? Is it immediate or do you need to take it home and fool with it on the home computer? Thanks
Old 11-20-2002, 12:24 AM
Turbodog

Default Speed

Hey Roy, Its Bill Lagasse. I just started working on a Sig Wonder. I bought an O.S. 15LA to start out with so I will be gunning for you.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:37 PM
Stick Jammer

Default lanier shrike

I just finished a .15 size Shrike a couple of weeks ago. I put an O.S. 25LA on it with a 9x6 Master Airscrew. It's first flight was pretty impressive, even with the engine very rich, but the recommended throws are not nearly enough, especially the elevator. With full up I had to keep the fire lit until just before touch down. It's a little nose heavy with the .25 , even with the battery pack all the way to the rear. I put all I could get in the elevator after that but haven't had a chance to fly it again. I also beefed up the bottom of the fuse on the inside.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:27 AM
ckoerner

Default Shrike

Stick Jammer
I have a Shrike with a .25fp and a .32SX. They both need full up elevator on landing. I would set a low rate for take off and flying. Mine is to touchy to fly at speed on high rates. I wait till I come in for final until I go to high rates You might also want to try a 8x5 prop. I'm using one on my fp and so far it's been the best prop.
Good Luck,
Craig
Craig's Shrike
Old 11-27-2002, 08:33 PM
Carl.E

Default Airspeed Indicator

Hey Dan-

I have an onboard airspeed indicator from EMS/Jomar too. I ordered it 2 years ago when they 1st got on their website...a year and a half later they got it to me. Development and production problems I guess. Right now I have it in a 20 year old Eagle with a 25 FP. I got 63 in a dive! I got it for my Diamond Dust, but have decided to build a new one and build the indicator into it. The original Dust got a little worn out after being flown hard for 2 years. It was radared with a REALLY old radar gun (had vaccuum tubes!) and got 143 MPH on a bad pass. I'll keep you all updated as I build my new one with the indicator. (Probably won't be until later this winter however!)

Carl
Old 11-28-2002, 06:48 PM
Dan Taylor

Default lanier shrike

The Air speed system is in two pieces, the airborne one and the display unit you plug in when you land .
the display allows you to view AT THE FIELD the data you collected
If you hook up the airborne unit to a spare channel controlled by a switch you can actually record several speeds and the view them with the display unit
Its a little pricey, but it give you a pretty good idea of your speed
and it beats stop watches and spotters