Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

PHOENIX MODELS F-20 TIGERSHARK ?

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

PHOENIX MODELS F-20 TIGERSHARK ?

Old 11-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Flip 3D Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PHOENIX MODELS F-20 TIGERSHARK ?

I hear you on the Wind. I had planned on taking a Sunday morning flight with my Sunday flying 60 trainer that I put on the charger Saturday night. We had a wind advisory all day here in Oakland County MI (as Will as about the entire state) with winds in the 40mph range most of the day. Send some pics as you can. I probably won't have mine going for awhile, really hope Tower Hobbies is good about this. I looks more like a factory defect because the way is is crunched could NOT of happened in delivery. I really need to check the rest of the plane over as well. I only pulled out one wing to show my wife (like she cares-LOL) and I will inspect the rest before calling them.

Waiting to hear about your maiden flight.

Happy Landings,

John
Old 11-07-2005, 05:44 AM
virtualvictum

Hey guys, just got mine yesterday. I plan on using a O.S. .46ax for power with a Macs tuned pipe system. Do you think this will move it ok? What ground rpm's should I be shooting for with this combinaton and what props do you suggest? This is my first tuned pipe on a plane and any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:31 PM
Flip 3D Guy

Just got done talking with Tower Hobbies. They are sending me a new fuselage.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:25 PM
HaveBlue

glad they sorted that out for you[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Flip 3D Guy

You can just see the line where it looks like the coving was cut, then just ironed on anyway. Toward the back is where the fuselage was crunched. Tower had left me a vm stating they are sending out a box for me to send this one back in. They will probably sell it in their scratch and dent section.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74989.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	350370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16970.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	350371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16004.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	350372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97798.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	350373  
Old 11-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Flip 3D Guy

Has the F20 been on it's maiden flight yet? I haven't had time to touch mine yet. I get a break from school in two weeks, will try to put it together then. During the week I can't fly anyway, it's been getting dark around 5pm, about the time I'm getting home from work. The wind has been real bad and snow is on ot's way in a week or two, I may not have a flight in on the F20 until spring or I make make skies for it.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:11 PM
Flip 3D Guy

Do you know how I can get my pic in the side thingy on here?
Old 11-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Flip 3D Guy

I think I got my picture to work.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:40 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

My Krangke F20 fuse sits in the attic as I decided it was a major operation to revise the and get rid of the side pods, and then retract the wing. Your pic indicates you could shave the side pods off and still have a exterior to work with? I look at my wing with the coverilng removed everey day thinking about building a fuse around it and adding retracts. The plane flew fairly well, had a Jett 90L in it, but just to dirty to be really quick as I needed. Hope you come out well!
Old 12-10-2005, 08:46 AM
HaveBlue

Just goes to show you how careful you have be sometimes...I had fitted an APC 9 x 8 to my Tigershark, but when I removed the whole assembly, spinner,nuts,prop and backplate, ready for final balancing, the apc had two small gouges from the backing plate when I tightened the prop.

although only small, I'll have to get another 9 x 8 , so for now a 10 x 6 will have to do, I got a 9 x 7 as well to try in the mean time

and what a pain balancing that aluminum spinner, I'm doing each part separately, but the biggest pain is the spinner cone itself, it has the greatest imbalance of all the components so far!!!!
Old 12-10-2005, 12:20 PM
rmenke

HAVEBLUE:

Well drat. Ever since I had something like this happen, I stocked up on apc props during a HS shutdown. Now have a big box with all racing apc props starting at 8" through some 24" zingers. Amazing how many guys borrow at the field and come by the house after hours in need. Will loan you what you need if you want to scoot over here. Ggday down there. Roger M.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:03 AM
crasharama

Hey Have blue,

I must have been lucky as mine was spot on, or you got a bad 1.

Tony.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:05 AM
HaveBlue

Hi Rmenke, I'm just glad I saw it now rather than seeing a blade come off (probably happen on a low high speed pass to!)
Ive actually stocked up on props to(apart from 9 x 8's) , have a few of the 8.8 x # to try out too , the 9 x 8's will have to wait till my next order is due for bits and pieces!!

well Crash, I must be really unlucky.. this spinner cone is the biggest pain, Ive had the grinder out, Ive dropped half a bottle of CA into the light side and it still falls directly down to the one side!!!!!!I'm going out now for rounds 3, 4 and 5 and hopefully start seeing some balance... I think if I had started the engine without doing the balancing thing, it would have shaken the engine clean out of the mounts ..but oh well it's all part of the hobby[sm=stupid.gif]

I know we've all seen them but I cant wait to post a piccy of the finished article!!!
Old 12-11-2005, 04:52 AM
crasharama

Yeah, I will be interested to see how yours comes out too !!
Old 12-11-2005, 01:58 PM
rmenke

Have Blue:

Yea, just about any oversight, not matter how small seams to creap up on you when least expected. Does not take but a few moments to self destruct when one blade comes off. Was fairly common event a number of years ago when the Top Flight nylon props were heavly used.

You seem to be going through it with that spinner. Have a little problem with using CA to ballance a the light side of a spinner. Would rather see you grind at the heavy side. Think the CA would eventually shake loose. Most of the spinner out of ballance problems I have encountered have been the recent Great Planes brand and some of the related cheaper units from China. They have been improving, but still have a way to go. They appear to be a cast and then turned system rather than machine cut from bar stock. I still occasionally buy a GP spinner when thats all the HS has, but pay the price in time to ballance the thing. When going to turn something above 19,000, I tend to stay with what I know will not blow up. Blowing up is unusual for any type, however have seen a few through the years usually associated with the unlimited guys.

Ordered my www.matneymodels.com- Animal Zoomer Monday, will be two to 3 weeks in coming. Its under their Q-500 section and a very interesting sneaker design. Sort of a cross between the Q-500 and formula, said to be as quick as either. Its a little over the top for club racing, and will use it only as a backup. There was a lot of sniveling when I received the 1st place overall for the year again, and the usual threats to bring something faster to the fray. Gonna probably have more of a tough time this season, but that part of the fun. The real fast stuff brought out is usually a Dust or Shrike, and they do scoot with a good engine. They usually make one heat and go splat in landing or takeoff or just into the ground around the turns.

Anyway, enjoy grind that darn thing, I am going back to the skunk works and work on my 60 sized racer for next year. Will provide some pics as things go along. Must get out a piece of poop Cub a fellow clubber brought me to cover befor starting the racer in earnest. Its by far the worst framing job I have ever seen. Would have been faster to give me the kit, have 3 full weeks into correcting bad problems prior to starting to cover and then still find junk. Such as it I when doing for others. See ya
Old 12-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife surprised me today for my birthday with a new Phoenix F-20! I thought I was going to get one at Christmas, maybe. I took all the parts out and looked at them and there are no defects. In fact, for a moment I thought the fuselage was fiberglass, it is that smooth. None of the flying surfaces have any wrinkles. Quite a nice covering job. The hardware is all bagged and I have not looked at it yet. But overall first impressions are quite good.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:04 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Very good to hear. A few other folks have recently commented to me that they were impressed with the plane as it was delivered.

Bob
Old 12-16-2005, 10:27 PM
crasharama

I have to agree with you, mine was the best i have seen, couldn't beleive how smooth the covering was.

Tony.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:37 PM
HaveBlue

I'll have to chime in and say that I too found it very well covered . I think it rivals some fiberglass fuselage's for finish
Old 12-18-2005, 10:21 PM
Flip 3D Guy

Anyone fly it yet? Mine is almost finished but we have a foot of snow on or field and I will need some big, wide skies if I plane to fly it anytime soon.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:07 AM
crasharama

Yeah I flew mine before it went in, flew quite nicely straight out the box. 1 click of left aileron trim & that was it. No real vices

Tony.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:50 AM
Flip 3D Guy

Before it went in? Did you crash it? How fast is it?
Old 12-20-2005, 04:50 AM
crasharama

Hey Flip,

Yeah mine is no more, the elevator control horn broke in flight. I used the ones in that came in the kit, & they wern't up to the job [&o]

It was only the 4th flight so no real good speed observations, my guess was it was around the 200km/h range when it hit the ground.I was just getting used to the way it flew but was nice in the air. Mine had the Jett SL50 running a 10x6.

The Jett is about to find a new home in an S1D pylon racer , just have to order a new exhaust as the old one is a bit out of shape......

Tony.

Name:	Bz77832.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	373104  
Old 12-21-2005, 10:18 AM
Flip 3D Guy

What exactly broke on the elevator? I have a Phoniex Model Sukhoi with the same parts that I ring the %&!@ out of eveytime I fly and I have about 100 flights on it and everything still looks great.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:22 PM
HaveBlue

Finally getting there the onlything left to do is the belly pan and a maiden in the next few days...I still have some graphics to add but here she is
last minute change saw an OS50SX go in with a VMAX tunned muffler turning a 10 x 6 for now as the spinner backing plate damaged my 9X8.... I will be adding to the graphics ..didnt get a chance to get some water slide paper yet..but all in good time..

I did try some dummy missles on the wing tips just a mock up out of cardboard tubes but I decided that would create far to much drag

the only thing that bothers me with this model is the weird angle of the control rod which actuates the elevators(last photo)..dont know why they didnt mount this servo on the opposite side of the rudder the angle would have been more friendly.. I wonder if this has something todo with the failure that Tony expirienced.

Name:	Om33350.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	374682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78395.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	374683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41847.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	374684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp41130.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	374685  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.