Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

PHOENIX MODELS F-20 TIGERSHARK ?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

PHOENIX MODELS F-20 TIGERSHARK ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 04:37 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: PHOENIX MODELS F-20 TIGERSHARK ?

Man, that looks great! [sm=thumbup.gif]

How about changing that servo connector to a ball and socket type:

http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro...=DUB2321/101.0

or

http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro...d=DUB884/101.0
Old 12-23-2005, 05:13 PM
HaveBlue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey KMOT that would be the way to go..ball links, the Dubro ones are good but there are many crappy ball links out there. I'm looking at Sullivan ball links, but $38 for a small ball link, it's a bit pricey..but then again ..look at the price of crashing!!!!

I did end up swapping the control horns for ball link horns rudder, elevator and ailerons, they seem to work a treat on weird angles like that . A ball link on both ends would be better...
Old 12-23-2005, 10:12 PM
Flip 3D Guy

Hey Blue, what in the wide, wide, world of sports is that servo doing sticking out of the fusalage????? Is that your modification or is that how your kit came??? I have just finished making some skies for mine and am planning the maiden flight tomorrow, permitting we don't get any more light snow where it will sink. I really wanted to fly the maiden flight with the wheels but I'd have to wait another 4 months for the snow to melt so as we do here in Michigan, I made skies. Here are some pics and weather permitting I will have some test flght pics tomorrow. One thing that is new with this modle is that I have the antenna wire completely inside the fusalage. Any suggestions there? I will do a thourough range check before flight but if I get glitches I will have to re-egineer my antenna system.

Happy Landings from Michigan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12925.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	374848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64355.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	374849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43892.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	374850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47579.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	374851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ug53072.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	374852  
Old 12-23-2005, 10:50 PM
HaveBlue

skis are a sight I'm not really use to as we never see snow here, but that looks trick, beside its all about adaptation!!!.. that looks really good Flip.. I'd imagine landings and take offs must be something else on skis and a surface such as snow!!!

well as for the the rear two servos, thats the way the manual shows them, but I like the way yours is done..can you get a photo of the elevator servo ???

That rudder servo, is that a standard install?.. I'd have to remove the ply plate that was under the covering and sink it right in, no biggie, but I just didn't think of it at the time..as I said earlier I would have preferred the elevator servo to sit on the opposite side to the rudder servo .. It would have been easy to make a fairing for them both!!!..( I like the idea of really short linkages makes for a tight control surface)

I was just thinking about the build on this .. while our manual stated to mount the servos where I have them, I did notice two extra cut outs in the servo plate up front , normally you only mount the sterring servo and throttle up here but there are a couple of spair slots, does your version locate the rudder elevator servo up front and run pushrods down the fuse to the control surfaces??

did any of you guys have to widen the mount for the engine?
Old 12-24-2005, 03:35 AM
crasharama

Snow? what is snow, never seen the stuff...Its 37 degrees celicius (98deg f) here today!!!! Typically Aussie Xmas day forcast here tomorrow, 34 degrees celcius (93 deg f), with a beast of a thunderstorm by 3 o'clock in the afternoon

Anyway i hope this makes it a bit clearer as to what happened with mine. As you can see my servos sat out in the breeze as well, maybe Roger (Haveblue) & I have early production kits.

As you can see all that is left of the control horn on my elevator is the pad with the bolts through it. Mine had that same angle to the elevator push rod too, there could be something in that as to why it failed.

Has anyone else had an engine mount that they had to shave the bearers to fit a Jett into like mine???

Tony.

Name:	Vt57364.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	374919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75695.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	374920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92688.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	374921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57671.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	374922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16954.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	374923  
Old 12-24-2005, 11:10 AM
Flip 3D Guy

I think you guys (or mates I beleive you call youselves down under) have VERY VERY early arfs. The new arf I have has a servo tray in the back bottom where the servos sit for rudder and elevator. I will get better pics when I get home for you. It's a warm 38 degress Ferinheit herre and I'm heading to the feild before it gets cold or starts to snow. I think the elevator failures that you encountered may have been corrected onthe later arfs like mine ( at least thats what I'm hoping so I don't crash).
Old 12-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Flip 3D Guy

Theses are some pics I already had on my camera, I'll open the servo tray and take better pic when I get back. The first is the REAR servo hatch where the rudder and elevator servos are and the other pics are just some I already had of the rear elevator and rudder.

Name:	Zx72099.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	374983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49050.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	374984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34986.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	374985  
Old 12-24-2005, 02:43 PM
Flip 3D Guy

Well it didn't go so well at the field today. Planes ok, but snow was to deep and wet and the plane never gained enough speed to take off. I got a lot of exercise going to get it after it sank in the snow and prop hit the snow and stopped. Anyway, the planes in good shape, I jst need it to get real cold again so the snow gets hard and the plane won't sink in. Heres some pic of the event today. I was the only one there, had to put it in 4 wheel drive to get back to the flying field.

Name:	Ec88832.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	375085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93776.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	375086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85848.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	375087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70941.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	375088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kw17940.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	375089  
Old 12-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Kmot

At least you don't have to worry about frequency channel conflicts!
Old 12-24-2005, 04:42 PM
HaveBlue

yeah they must send the prototypes down here for trial and error , then they make the right changes and you guys get good kits!!!...Dont say we never do anything for ya's!!!!..just kidding...

sorry to hear that the maiden didnt eventuate Flip , hope it all packs down soon for you and we get a favourable flight report, come to think of it I might be able to put in a maiden myself within a day or two( fingers crossed)

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all

Damn... Santa missed everything on my RC wishlist oh well I'll see what happens in another 364 days!

CHEERS EVERYONE
Old 12-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I guess I'll join the club. I was not even interested in the plane. I guess "Santa" talked with some buddies for suggestions and caught me completely by surprise. My main turn off is it's not even retract capable so I am going to have to rebuild a bit to make it that way. No way I'm flying this thing without retracts.

I saw the hardware and as usual, it is all going in the garbage. Your just begging for trouble by using any of it to include the fuel tank.
They recommend a 46-I don't thnk so. Its a 60-90 size frame and knowing me , a 90 of some sort is going up front but i always save the engine mounting for last so I have plenty of time to decide on that. Probably another Jett.90

Now enough of the slams, it is a darn near carbon copy of my DC F-20. The construction looks good. The canopy is nice and sleek and the front end is nice and long. Appearance is much better than the Cermark I "had"

I will throw a set of Hobbico mechanicals in it which have always worked well for me. Probably cut some of the wing off to. The plane looks nice but is screaming for modifications.

Of course I did not mention any of this to "Santa."[sm=lol.gif]
Old 12-25-2005, 04:45 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Hay Flip!

Simply a great job on those skis! Hope they will not swivel up or down much and create weird airbrakes for you. Have you thought of regracting them? Keep up the good work!
Old 12-25-2005, 04:48 PM
WD

I have a PHOENIX MODELS F-20 TIGERSHARK arf to build as well. I was thinking about some of the same modifications too ....retracts, shorter wings, bladder fuel tank for the Jett 60LX. I have several other planes to build before I can get to this one. If and when you do the modifications, it would be nice to see some of the work before the covering goes back on. I have a Kangke F-20 with a Jett 50 now, but I beleive the PHOENIX MODELS F-20 TIGERSHARK has the potential to be much better.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Flip 3D Guy

Thanks for the skies comment Remenke, I made them from tin and wood in about an hour and half in my garage. Today, Christmas, I planned o going to the field, but it rained ALL day. Weird weather were having, I wish it would have melted the snow but we still have about 2 inches and it's snowing again now. I have my sights on tomorrow (Monday), if not then I will have to wait and try again next Saturday. It gets to dark this time of year for me to fly after work. I'll keep ya posted if I get the maiden flight in.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:44 PM
HaveBlue

if your going to this much trouble on this type of plane , you might aswell cut the the front half of the ducts off and remodel them into wing fillets with maybe an extended leading edge..but I dont think this bird is worth all the hassle, I'll fly mine "as is" and keep all the good speed gear for something more speedy
Old 12-26-2005, 12:38 AM
HaveBlue

It's been a beautiful day here, should have gone flying , but as usual things didnt go my way so I took my F20 out to the backyard to do the initial break in on the OS50SX... man what a sweet little engine this is, and I cant wait to get her run in cause at the very gurgly rich setting she was taching 13900, when tunned to just break into a two cycle note she tached 15,800.. and she still has more to go!!!, guys , I think I have a little screamer on my hands albeit an OS , but she goes ...cant wait till she is properly run in...hopefully get her into 16,500 + range....

I know this is only a 10 x 6 prop and she needs something like a 9 X 8, but weather or not these are good or not so good figures ..I'm extremely happy ... if she turns in the 15,000 + range on the 9 x 8, that will do nicely!!!!

cheers
Roger
Old 12-26-2005, 08:09 AM
Flip 3D Guy

I agree with you on the don't waste your time trying to modify this one Blue. Keep it as is. I don't think it's worth the time to add retracts and shorten the wings, even thoigh that would be nice to have. I don't really see much that you can EASILY do to add retracts. You may as well build a kit that was made to have them if your going to go to that trouble.

Blue- your backyard?? Really? You just step out back and fly without having to go to a flying field or club?? I'm moving to Austrailia! Hows the kangaros taste?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Cyclic Hardover

There is nothing wrong with trying to make a weak plane better. You take most arfs available and fly them as is using the same hardware it comes with and leave the firewall alone and use the tank it comes with. Well the plane can be used as example of what not to do and the flying life can be clocked with an egg timer.

You buy a piece of junk, you fly a piece of junk. When I build a plane , even if its an Arf, I want it to last longer than a couple weeks.
"Slapping" planes together is not the best advice to give. Thie F20 is not bad but can be better with minimal effort.

I mean whats the hurry? Do you have to get it up in the air right now.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:57 PM
HaveBlue

totally agree there , safety first, and I "strengthen my arf's too . but if the thing needs major improvements, and I'm not refering to Phoenix F20, or if it so poorly built, I would rather have a kit built, form a safety point of view as then I know the whole thing is built properly rather than just the bits I managed to catch.. BUT YES SAFETY MODS ARE IMPERATIVE

my comment reffered to the mods you mentioned like the wing , retracts and god knows what else you gonna do to it, as you didnt mention anything about the firewall or anything else really reffering to "safety" etc

just out of curiosity whats wrong with the tank?????

guess you didnt see the part of where I threw out MOST of the hardware..not all of it is bad!!!!! , but I did change those horns and I did use 256 wire instead of the thin crap we got , I know they changed the kits before you guys got them, and I'm not sure to what extent, all I know at this stage is your rudder and elevator servos are internal whereas ours sit externally .

each to their own , and when you get it done I hope to see a picture of it cyclic, good luck and I hope you end up liking it

and yes I do have to fly it now , I'm sick of looking at it in my living room, it's all done now , so it needs to fly ...not sit there!!!!!
Old 12-26-2005, 06:21 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Tank-Maybe nothing but I treat it like the hardware and chuck them. All those tanks that come with any arf is junk. Getting a reputable brand is only a few dollars so why take the risk. Beside, changing things around a bit is like putting your own signature on it and does make it different from someone elses.

I don't use plastic horns anymore on anything , I use those dubro things that look like 10-24 screws. very rugged.

Speaking of pictures, remember that purple Voodoo with the G2300 and the Jett stream muffler. That is in for rebuild and almost done. I built a solid front end on it instead of a cowl. Recovered and is now a Dago Red. Looks very good. I am installing stronger wire struts on the retracts. they were very flimsy.

I took a good look at the wing and converting to retracts is no biggie. Nose area looks good too.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Kmot

Everyone has thier own opinions about stuff.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:37 AM
Cyclic Hardover

When I started this 10 years ago, I learned the hard way with lousy recommendations and "shortcuts." Anybody remember the Thunder Tiger "Champion?" Well that plane along with some others were left as is and using stock hardware. They quickly fell apart after only a few flights. The wood blocks on the Champion were held in by hot-glue. I discovered that after my third "greased" landing on the plane when they came off and the thing went sliding on down the runway.

There are way to many company's reeling in new people every day and it's up to us to let these new pilots know how things work. if you use the hardware that comes with a plane or fail to do any "minor" strengthening modifications to an arf, The chances of you bringing that plane home in a garbage bag are very good every time you go to the field. You think someone is going to be asking for advice after he see's how great a builder you are?

I went through this and learned some expensive lessons.

Old 12-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Flip 3D Guy

Cyclic, I think many things have changed in 10 years. I have NEVER made any modifications to any of my planes and I fly the heck out of them and have never had a problem. Besides, now we know thanks to Blue that that send everything to Austrailia to be tested before it comes to us in the USA.

This being siad I have had problems with the "toy" quality planes when I first started, and that was that they were just under powered.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:11 AM
HaveBlue

hey Flip sorry I missed your post there earlier, as far as my backyard goes , I take out my planes and crank up those engines or actually just do the break in , in my back yard. I cant fly in something thats 150 ' x 45'......unfortunately

I hate the club scene, I cant fly on my mates property anymore , he moved, so the past year I have been with a club... they wont let me fly(solo) yet cause I havent earned my bronze wings as they call it here(not sure how you guys grade yourselves) and their not particularly fast at getting you accredited, some of the guys have been going three years and still dont solo(can you believe that!!!..what a joke)

I heard of another club, bit further away , but it sounds like more my style as there are pylon racers there etc, my current club manily caters for sports ,aerobats and trainers and there are only two people out of about 70 that are into speed planes

I'm a city boy, but nowadays all I want to do is pack up , get out of Sydney, go bush(our way of saying "move to the country" on huge property and fly!!!... as for the kangaroos..hmmm...think I prefer maccers

Cyclic just to clear it up...I am all for safety, every arf needs a good inspection for weaknesses, and yes I too like to be "different " to the guy next to me..all I wanted to say regarding the arf ( and I realise in this case it was a gift)
if you going to get an arf I think it would be easier to pick one thats more modifying friendly as apposed to one that
basically needs a total rebuild(unless it was so unique that you didnt have choices). I'm not trying to nit pick or be confrontational.. but major mods just seem to defeat the purpose of ARF and in such a case I would build a kit...then I know exactly whats been done and its easier to set up for any mods like retracts etc.. and yeah I'll shut up from here on!!!!!not another word from me on mods!!!
Old 12-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Flip 3D Guy

Blue, to bad to hear that you don't like the club scene. It took me about 4 months before I was signed off as a pilot at the club I'm at now. We have also had students that have been students for over a year, possibly two. I trained every weekend with a flight instructor as well as bought flight simulator and the video two weeks to solo. My instructor said I was advanced when I started, I beleive it was because of the flight simulator. Our club is pretty nice. We have a lot of flying events as well as our "crazy Snow Fly" which is held in a few days on Dec. 31. Here is a link. http://skymasters.org/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.