Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Magnum Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 11:55 AM
nogards

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum Question

I am thinking of getting a Weston Magnum with the Weston .51V/pipe combo.

How does the magnum compare to something like a DD?

I currently have a Shrike .40 with a norvell .40AX. Is the speed difference between the shrike and magnum going to be enough to really notice (dramatically) or is it going to be a slight increase?

I am new to the whole speed plane thing, but I'm lovin it.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Magnum Question

I suspect there will be a very noticable difference. A little gain from the air frame and even more from the Weston engine.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:37 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed - the Norvel performance figures I saw in one review didn't impress me much. Sure it's light but the rpm numbers were nothing to get excited about. Add to that the fact that a Magnum is cleaner. I would think the difference would be pretty dramatic.

MJD
Old 10-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the shrike is a good start but the MAGNUM combo KICKS BUTT

we had an 8x8 APC turning 21500 on the ground and it would unload once up anf flying.
It could do 180 easy on a summer day and the cool fall air just upped the power & speed
Old 10-08-2005, 02:20 AM
Nashcat
My Feedback: (1)

nogards,
We have a couple of club members flying the Magnum/Weston combo, here in Columbia, TN. I fly a Dust, with a piped TT 46, and it's no match for the Magnums. If you want to come to Columbia, maybe we can arrange to have the Magnums at the field so you can see them in action.

Nashcat
Old 10-10-2005, 12:27 AM
nogards

That would be awsome to see the magnums fly. I am trying to convince myself to spend the money on it b/c I am a broke college student. I have been to columbia before for events it is a nice field. I don't know when I would have the free time to come over there, but I'll keep that in mind and PM you if the opportunity to take a trip over there presents itself. Do people usually fly out there only on weekends or do people fly all week? Send some people over to MPRCF for the fun-scale classic on the 22-23nd. directions are at http://www.mprcf.com
Old 11-07-2005, 11:34 PM
N925WB
My Feedback: (56)

Les,

You need something new. Whether it be a Magnum or a Diamond Dust, you NEED something to build/assemble!!!

-Wayne