Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Alley Cat Racer

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 07:20 AM
Airnondas
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alley Cat Racer

Just received the Alley Cat racer today and I must say the quality of this plane is first class.
I am still debating on the engine, was thinking maybe the new Saito 1.25 or a Jett 90

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64213.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	355732   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45453.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	383.3 KB
ID:	355733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88217.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	355734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91982.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	348.1 KB
ID:	355735  
Old 11-17-2005, 09:03 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alley Cat

Thats a nice looking plane.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:42 AM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Airnondas,

If you have a moment, would you mind taking some measurements of your new bird and posting them here? What I'm really interested in is the wing chord at the root, tip, and the wing chord of the mid-span break. I'd also like to know how far the mid-span break is from the center of the wing.

That's a very sweet looking plane. I hope you have lot's of fun!
Old 11-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Airnondas

Thank you Dave

I had to decide between the Alley cat or the Great planes Li'l Toni

I went with the Alley cat. After opening the box I am glad I did.

Airnondas
Old 11-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Airnondas

Hi John

I will take out the tape measure and post the results of the wing chord etc. here on the forum next week when I get back.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:25 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Hi Guy:

Realy no choice from Sato to Jett. If you want to sport fly only, the Sato will be fine. If you want to scoot with a long lasting reliable engine go Jett 90 LX. The Jett engines are true american quality well worth their money. You even get Dubb and Bobs help along with the purchase which is priceless in itself. (God, don't let them know I said that) Glad you did not go with the Little Tony. It is a reasonable quality ARF, good looking and a good sport plane. Its a dog as to speed unless you pluny a 160 to 210 in it. Did not try that myself, assume much power may bring it to life.

That being said, you are in big trouble. There are hundreds of us out here that must know how fast this thing is as a matter of life or death. We spend out money to tell you the LT, Shoestring and Minnow were a horrible waste of good design as to speed, but ok sport flyers. Its on your back to hurry the heck up and tell us the true scoop on the AC! No pressure on you or anything like that. Must be tough to know there is just no place in the world you can run to hide where its not likely to find a RC guy out there doing his thing. ENJOY AND HURRY UP!
Old 11-17-2005, 03:59 PM
js3

ORIGINAL: Airnondas

Hi John

I will take out the tape measure and post the results of the wing chord etc. here on the forum next week when I get back.
Cool! Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:38 PM
Airnondas

Hi Rmenke

Your Jett 90LX engine suggestion for the AC is probably the best match.

Here is a picture of another racer that I also just received.

This one is from Wild Hare RC. Its a pylon racer called the LR-1

Do you have any engine recommendations for this one?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13966.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	356115  
Old 11-18-2005, 12:59 AM
cncswiss1

Default RE: Alley Cat Racer

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3427778/tm.htm
Old 11-18-2005, 10:35 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Personally I recommend the OS or TT .32/36 size engines for this LR-1 - or maybe a Jett .35

But some of these speed freaks here insist on putting SJ-50 engines in them
Old 11-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Airnondas

You were right about the guys over at Jett

Bobs was very helpful and I should be receiving a new Jett 90LX for the Alley Cat shortly in the mail.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:26 PM
rmenke

AIRNONDAS:

In my mind, there is only one engine for the LR-1 that makes good overall speed and handeling sense. My most loved engine of all time the Jett BSE sports 35. With their backs against the wall and knife to the throat, BoB and Dub may join in agreement here.
I know my 35 turns far more rpm than my 50 with close to same prop sizes. The 35 lighter in a 25 size air frame. If I had to choose knowing I was going to go up against a 50 in the same airframe, I would go with the 35, in a pylon race. To dive and just go for speed, the 50 would rule. My 35 would survive for a long time being easier to land and fly. My own 35 will be going into its 3rd season this coming year, and just getting stronger! The guys will rejoice when they no longer see, and hear it. It just has a attitude! (Im king) Wish you had not given a picture of the Lr-1. There goes my Christmas money!
Old 11-27-2005, 05:30 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Looks like a Shoestring with a turtle deck. Hmmmm! thats a thought.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:14 PM
taildraggerdave

I would be curious to know the speed on this plane as well..........
Old 11-28-2005, 09:33 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey Dave, how are you doing on that CBM F-16?
Old 11-28-2005, 11:14 PM
taildraggerdave

Well............
I took your advice last time we spoke.
I still have it and have never flown it. Remember, I started to build it before I got the directions from you. I built the rear stab fixed with "conventional" elevators on it.... which pretty much ruined the plane as an F16. Never glassed it yet, either. Still bare foam.

I know I could pull them off and redo them correctly, but the plane sits up in the rafters waiting its turn.

How is yours doing?
Old 11-28-2005, 11:15 PM
MyWay

rmenke, Will that jett 35 pull a apc 8x8?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:59 AM
rmenke

MYWAY:

Yea, the Jett BSE 35 will pull the heck out of a 8X 8. I prefer the 8.5 X 7.5, a FEW rpm diference,(more) but the 8.5 X 7.5 pulls the airframe around the corners (better than the Q-500) and unwinds so sweetly, the guys just know they might as well land, cause its all over baby! Only problem is getting my mechanic and caller to lean the thing out properly. He is just flat to conservative with the motor, tellling me its still breaking in. Now going into its third season. He seems to think that if he screws up bad enough, he can still run around and bite the other guys ankles and throw them off their game.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:11 PM
rmenke

AIRNONDAS:

Come on guy, you have had a MONTH to get the AC finished, engine broken in and a flight report to us. Quit playing around with that little thingy (LR-1) and get the one I can see in the air. Its now December, you have had it since November. Quit the excuses and work, work work! If I don't order mine now, or soon, will not have the Christmas thing going to keep me out of trouble. I am depending on you old buddy, friend, companion etc. Get on it and REPORT. NOW NOW NOW NOW. (Please!)
Old 12-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Airnondas

RMENKE:

I am still waiting for the beast to arrive in the mail (Jett BSE 90LX) .

Dubb has been very busy working on a exhaust system for the engines.

He said he should be shipping in the next couple of weeks.

I am as eager as you to finish the Alley Cat and try to get a flight in before the snow arrives, because here in Canada we get SNOW.

____________________________________-

Airnondas.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:22 PM
rmenke

AIRNONDAS:
Sorry for the barb, don't expect you to build the engine; but where oh where is the engine, Bob, Dub? Oh woe. Ok, lets come up with a solution. Can't stop with snow from coming soon. It actually rained here in central California last night, but of course its clear and nice this morning. Sold my Cessna Skylane a few years ago, so can't run out to the airport and go either to Texas or Canada. Don't really want to repeat the flight to Vista, Ca, and throwing a radio at Phil Kraft (bad temper in my younger years); dont want to really bug Dub and Bob, would just make them mad as I am sure they are trying their best to getting things done. Not to mention may need a favor myself some day, so what to do. Ok, a possible plan. Can you get Jett to send you the engine W/O muffler to be sent when finished? If so, will send you mine which you can return when you get yours? Not sure of just what to do, but I am willing to send you my muffler and engilne if necessary, depending on what we are looking at. Getting something across the ht USA/ Canada boarder can be somethin of a pain these days I understand. Let me know what I can do friend! Bob @ Jett Engineering, can you give us a hand?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:59 PM
rmenke

AIRNONDAS:

Its been a year or so since we have heard from you, well, almost a week. It has actually rained here in California and foggy today, so here I am, pestering and proding people I enjoy. Am concerned your weather system has reached you and deposited some of that white stuff about. Don't think the AC would like skiis. Was supprised Bob Brizal at Jett did not chime in about shipping out your 90LX. Christmas orders must have them going a little more craizer! Have been thinking of another BSE 50 for a twin application, but had better keep things cool for a while as I suspect I will be needing to fund a AC in the very near future. Purchased a OPS 60 last year from a German speed nut, he claimed 24,000 on a pipe and his hand made carbon fiber prop. Had been some time the neighbors had something to gripe about, so finally stuck the thing on a test stand. I have been putting it off in fear of proving you should not believe until seen. Don't think I have ever brought the neighborhood out for more than a block in the past, this time it was about two blocks with all running back into their homes in a few moments. What was I doning out watching the neighbors? Well, once the thing started up and got needled, could not stand the noise with headphones on. Got brave for a monent and put a tack on it, had to hold a flashlight behind, ans sure as poop, no 24,000. But it was 23,300, more than enough to turn me on a little. Think I will keep it and someday find a airframe that may be fast with a whole lot of weight up front. Well, might as well go back to the cave and continue my kit bashing of a 60 Ultra Sport for my 90L. Keep us up to date please! Rev Bro 119 ENJOY
Old 12-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Airnondas

Hi Rmenke

You are right it seems likes ages ago since we have talked.

Your offer for the engine was very sportsman of you, but alas the engine
arrived today at 11.30 am smack in the middle of
our first major record breaking snowfall. 41 centimeters.

Its going to take at least a couple of days to dig out of this one.

So now I should be able to go ahead and break in the beast for the Alley Cat.

I read in your other thread that you also acquired this fine looking speed plane.

Just like you, I was sold as soon as I opened the box.

This plane should rip.

Tomorrow I will post some pics of the snow and the beast.

Old 12-17-2005, 01:02 PM
rmenke

AIRNONDAS:

Mother nature has also done it to use here. A little rain for one day, and then fog, fog fog. It does go away enough by noon to run down to the park and fly electrics, but sort of dampens the rush to get the Alley Cat done. While BS-ing last night with a friend in the skunk works, got out the Jett 50 and 90. The 50 dropped right in. The 90 is going to take some stuff work I am afraid? Looks very close to the firewall and top of the fuse, but dooable? I did notice one possible problem. The center line of the engine does not come out at the center lilne of the spinner area by about 1/4". There is a doubler on top of the wood motor mount that can be ground down to make things come out right for the 50, could not stuff the 90 into the hole without grinding which I do not want to do at this point. Am going to wait and let you guys do the R & D before I attempt the motor installation for the 90. If its a problem, going to make a call to Dub and Bob for a snivle session and see what they can come up with. The airframe does want a larger engine than the 50, the weight of the 60-90 may make CG layout a little of a problem. Jett does make a 70 something in a about 40 case, but its a grunt motor with a very small pipe. You can always abuse the intended motor design and add a rpm pipe, but you always ask for trouble when not follwing the designers general intent of use! My main concern is how she will scoot with all that weight. Don't think the landing gear is up to the task , but can be beefed up if needed. The inverted engine should not be a problem on the flight line unless you dont take care after fueling and you load her up. Will clamp mine off until ready to turn over. Will have things togeather in a week or so, but hold off on the motor. Let me know what you run into during your build, and I will do the same. Best of luck, have a good Christmas?
Old 12-22-2005, 03:13 PM
rmenke

AIRNONDAS:
Finally got rid of the 1/4 scale Cub I was covering for a buddy last night as was able to spend a little time on the Alley Cat. There are a few items I would like to go over with you. The motor mount is a rail wood system. Mine has an additional about 1/8 X 1" X 4" stiffner plate on top of the larger motor mount. As a result, the smaller motor, JS 50 is about 1/4" from center at the spinner-cowel joint. Do you have this same layout? Am thinking the doubler should have gone under the mount. Can grind it out so the spinner will align properly with the nose, but will be a pain to get it right and also weaken the toal mount system.

Page 2 of the instruction manual calls for attaching surface fences for the control surfaces. Did your kit include any control surface fences? Mine did not.

After joinning the wing and fitting it to the fuse, I found that the wing lines up very well in relation to the tail feathers. The right trailing edge of the wing is flush with the fuse, the left side has a gap of about 3/8". Its a easy fix by adding a small piece of balsa and covering with white ultracoat. Do you have the same gap at the left?

Elevator fit right in with no sanding needed and lined up with the wing spot on. Did not put the meters on it and will do so shortly. A little late as the elevator is glued in place at this point.

Will probably have the thing ready to fly prior to the New Year given a little working time. Its falling togeather nicely. Am going to wait to install the Jett 90 until the guys report on the installation. Will fly it with the 50 first as it fits right in, and then go to the large engine if things work out well for that application. Will not need the 50 until I receive my Animal Zoomer from Matney and get it put togeathers. I expect the Animal to outrun the AC buy a bunch as it is a 40 sized airframe, a mix of Q-500 and formula.
Hope to use the AC as my primary racer due to size, the Animal is a backup in the event one of the guys decides that they have had enough of me and gos all out. Am hearing lots of wild threats. Last night at Club, heard one of the slower guys has built a twin on a Q-500 frame useing two heli OS 32s that turn 25K plus. His wild designs are usually extreemly fast but only survive one or two heats. Hes one of those guys that don't need any GD computer radio and that expo crap. He grinds on some good motors and gets some improvement over stock but will not spend the $60.00 bucks for a Jett or Nelson tuned mufflfer. He ususually comes over and drags me out for a first trim flight. I bring a receiver christal and my JR10X, dial in mild and fly and trim it mechanically for him as best I can. He will fly on my transmitter and love how his creation flys, come out to race with a old 4 channel Airtronics and proceed to stuff it. Sadly funny. Enough BS, bud let me know whats going on and get back to me when you can. Mery Christmas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.