Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

inboard or outboard ailerons?

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

inboard or outboard ailerons?

Old 11-19-2005, 06:41 PM
rmorhan
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inboard or outboard ailerons?

i,m building a moki 210 powered lanier dominator. while it,s not gonna come close to the rush i get flying my jett powered d dusts, it,s size should get the adrenalin pumping! there,s an option on installing the ails inboard or outboard. can anyone fill me in on the pros & cons of each option?? tried a post in the pylon forum but no luck there. i,m not gonna be racing in sanctioned events & a blinding roll rate is preferred so i,m thinking outboard ??.... any advice appreciated...thanks rob m
Old 11-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: inboard or outboard ailerons?

ORIGINAL: rmorhan

i,m building a moki 210 powered lanier dominator. while it,s not gonna come close to the rush i get flying my jett powered d dusts, it,s size should get the adrenalin pumping! there,s an option on installing the ails inboard or outboard. can anyone fill me in on the pros & cons of each option?? tried a post in the pylon forum but no luck there. i,m not gonna be racing in sanctioned events & a blinding roll rate is preferred so i,m thinking outboard ??.... any advice appreciated...thanks rob m
The outboard would give you a faster roll rate but is that what you want for racing? The Dominator 500 suggest the shorter ailerons for racing and the longer ailerons for sport flying. The 500 flew really well and I will be interested in a flight report on the 1500.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:18 AM
rmorhan

mike, there,s no mention of ail placement in the manual, but the plans show 3 options. they show a sport ail around 28" long centered on the wing(materials not included in kit), & 2 different locations for the stock 17" long ails. as per plans the rt ail is inboard & the left outboard . dumb question but any chance placing them as shown(rt in & l out) enhances left turns?? the chance i,ll race this plane in any event is slim so the fast roll rate should up the pucker factor considerably! i,ve gone through a few pylon planes over the years (still have a viper 500 w mvvs 49) but the size of this beast blows them away...the moki's tuned pipe is almost 3 feet long! i,m thinking the sport ails would give me the best roll rate but the inboard / outboard thing has got me wondering....might try lanier for an explanation...thanks for the input.....rob m
Old 11-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

I read your post wrong the first time. I thought you WERE going to race it. I would use the longer sport ailerons for sure and have them the same on both sides.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:38 AM
rmorhan

fyi, lanier suggests both ail inboard for racing (slower roll rate & less chance of flutter) the outboard location will roll faster but is more prone to flutter. the sport ail will give the fastest roll rate. now i,m wondering if the lg sport ails are a wise choice . i,m looking to push this plane! would be nice to get some input from someone who,s flown one ! guess i,m not gonna get a roll rate even close to the dusts no matter which way i go !......rob m
Old 11-24-2005, 10:51 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Leave the mind blowing roll work to the DDs. For peace of mind when you are zooming around, the short ailerons are the way to go.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:39 AM
rmorhan

problem is i don,t know what kind of speed to expect & i,ll be bummed if the plane bores me after all that work & coin invested. i,m thinking this plane will max out around 110 (if that) in level flight ,anyone have any insite on that estimate? hopefully the size will make up for the lack of speed!!......rob m
Old 11-25-2005, 07:38 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rob
I use Ailivators on my Phantom with a switch to swithch in and out the Ailerons with both the roll rate is fast, with the Ailivators only the roll rate is reduced but more affective at slow speed as it still has the prop wash over them, hope this helps.
Mike
P.s why not have both inboard and outboard and switch them instead.