Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

fastest motor for electric pylon

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

fastest motor for electric pylon

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 12:00 AM
3Dr
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fastest motor for electric pylon

I have had a speed 400 switchblade for a while running rocket motors. I am looking for the fastest setup possible. I have been looking at the astro 020 brushless motor. How much faster will a fast brushless motor be compared to the rocketmotor? Thanks
Old 12-08-2005, 03:50 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: fastest motor for electric pylon

I'm not sure exactly how much faster it would be, but I have one and it's noticeably more powerful, compared to a regular brushed 400 (I fried a couple Rockets, pushing 'em too hard )

Edit: just wanted to add that my motors are not being used in a pylon type, but more of a fast sport original design.
I went w/ the Astro because of reputation, and virtually NO maintainence.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

For a speed 400 sized pylon racer, I'd suggest a Neu 1105/2.5 motor, TP 3S2100 Prolite Lipo, CC P-35 ESC, and APC 4.5x4.1. Probably in the 150+mph range if the airframe is low drag.

Check out the stuff from Bob at Soaringusa.com or just call him, he'll set you up to go fast!! OR EVEN FASTER IF YOU WANT!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2005, 01:17 AM
3Dr
My Feedback: (3)

The Neu 1105/2.5 motor looks really fast. Does any body have any comments on this motor?
Old 03-24-2006, 07:38 AM
dolanosa

There are many brushless motors out there that can satisfy your needs. It just has to satisfy your budget. You can get BL motors with over 4000KV that can handle about 30 Amps with 10 cells and a CAM prop 4.7x4.7.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Troy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

The Neu motors are arguably the most efficient motors in that size. You can also look at Hackers and Lehners, but they generally cost more. The Astros and Megas are great bang for buck and they work very well, it's just how far you want to push the limits of performance. On the less efficient motors you have to watch out for heat build up; you can potentially burn up a brushless motor if you run at high power for an extended period of time. With lipos the threat is very real.
What is smoking fast for one guy is ho-humm for another. Like Dolanosa said, how much you wanna pay?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Airbike

you can potentially burn up a brushless motor if you run at high power for an extended period of time. With lipos the threat is very real.

Well said, Troy. I'm trying to get someone to stand next to me when I fly and smack me in the head when I exceed my timer for WOT flying.

Hopefully, last weekend will be my first and last smoke trail[:@]

Here's what happens to an Excite F5D with Neu 1506/3D, Ph-80, 4S2P TP 4200, apc 5x5 prop when it is flown too long (probably 5 to 6 minutes[X(] )at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE.

I swear I will not do this again.....at least I know where the limit is now[&:]

Luckily, no damage to airframe other than some blistered paint.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14125.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	434638  
Old 03-28-2006, 03:42 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is video (large video, need high speed connection) of a composite speed 400 pylon model on a Mega 16/15/3 and 4.75 x 4.75, on a 3s 2100 LiPo I think. Looks purty quick to me.

http://www.espritmodel.com/video/sunracerF5D.wmv
Old 03-28-2006, 04:12 PM
TheTick

Here is video (large video, need high speed connection) of a composite speed 400 pylon model on a Mega 16/15/3 and 4.75 x 4.75, on a 3s 2100 LiPo I think. Looks purty quick to me.

http://www.espritmodel.com/video/sunracerF5D.wmv

LOL...Thats me! I actually powered that plane off a aveox 27/26/1.5 with a cc60 and 3s2p 4200 pack. Much faster than the mega/3 setup.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Airbike

Hi TheTick or Troy,

Is a motor any good after it has had a high temp run?? How much strength do the magnets loose and how can I tell? I hope the shiny stuff inside the nose of the plane is not resin from the motor innards.

My left thumb is really starting to hurt my wallet from burning up things.[&o]
Old 03-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Dave_Gherardini

Airbike. If your going to play with high speed high voltage ele systems i wish you would invest in 2 things before you proceed, An amp Meter and temp gun. There are several ways to get the desired results for current draw and temp. It would be great investment when your goin with ele systems. It will save you money in the long run..
Old 03-28-2006, 06:08 PM
dolanosa

Airbike,

Heat does demagnetize even Neodymium magnets. Depending on the type, you start the demag at 170F to 392F. I don't know how you can tell but you can check torque on the motor per given amount of voltage. You will need a control motor of the same make and model.

Regards,

B
Old 03-28-2006, 06:13 PM
Dave_Gherardini

Also i forgot to say that if your refering to the partiular motor that you let the smoke out of then you should email Steve Neu. He will tell you what max temp/time it can handle. Since all ele motors are not equall each and every one will have different tollereances. Even the same brand with a different wind will handle temps differently. I hope im not sounding sarcastic. I just hate to see a $1000 power system with no smoke in it anymore. If you have a temp/amp measument system and allready know the specs then disregard my post earlier. If you need to have a coach with you when you fly a setup like that then....(big smiley face running the othe direction)...hehehehee..
Old 03-29-2006, 12:06 AM
Airbike

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Dave, I do have and use a whattmeter (<100A) and a clamp meter (>100A) and an IR temp gun.

A 3 minute WOT run with a 4.75 x 4.75 prop resulted in batt/motor/esc temps of 125 to 130 deg F so I knew that would be ok.

I get carried away with having so much fun while at speed (it's intoxicating!!) that even after my timer went off, we were still ripping laps or high speed passes, until the power stopped[&o]

The motor is on the way back to DMA to see what they can do.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:28 PM
Troy-RCU

ORIGINAL: Airbike

Hi TheTick or Troy,

Is a motor any good after it has had a high temp run?? How much strength do the magnets loose and how can I tell? I hope the shiny stuff inside the nose of the plane is not resin from the motor innards.

My left thumb is really starting to hurt my wallet from burning up things.[&o]
I have had this discussion with Steve Neu and he says that once you hit the magic temp your magnets will be toast. I use to think that there was a decrease in the magnet's strength but he and others have said it's sudden and not subtle. Usually the loss in performance most see as a loss in magnet power is actually your battery. I know Steve and a bunch of other guys use those cheap little temp guage stickers which will tell you how hot things are getting in the air. They look like one of those forehead temp sticks when you have a fever. Luckily I've never (knock on wood) fried a motor or demagnatized anything yet but with lipos I am flying longer and everything I have is over powered so time will tell. I like to fly twice on a battery anyway so I don't get bored and start doing stupid things that could end up breaking something. A.D.D., what a curse!
Old 03-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Airbike

Thanks for the info Troy,

I'm going to look for some of those temperature stickers for my motors.