Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Another option for going fast

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Another option for going fast

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 06:10 PM
PAINLESS
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another option for going fast

Quote from the web site:

"The picture below is a 380mph Pulse-jet powered delta, that works entirely differently from gas turbines. This one plane has no undercarriage, and takes off with the aid of the bungy cords stretched out to 'ping' it off the ramp. Pulse-jets are fearsomely loud, to the point of blurring your vision and making you feel sick!"

I think he means 380 KPH which is about 250 MPH. They fly pulse jet control line speed at the NATS. I have seen some video of it, very loud and impressive.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35745_8380.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	22723  
Old 11-15-2002, 06:22 PM
Paulus

Here's a link to a video of a pulse jet flown at the inter-ex in Germany this year.
http://www.gerald-lehr.de/interex/pulso.wmv
VERY loud indeed.

Greetings,

Paul Ravensbergen
Old 11-15-2002, 07:35 PM
zapper

Wow! Thanks Paulus......
Old 11-17-2002, 08:54 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Pulse jet control line speed was the only event I ever saw that made me want to hide behind a sturdy brick wall out of fear for my life.

That's a great vid. The model didn't look as fast as I thought it might but the Doppler difference during the passes showed that it was moving fast.

Note the guy with the fingers in the ears on the flyby. For those that haven't heard one of these motors this should be a sign of how they sound. If your field has a muffler rule forget about these for sure.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:46 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulse jet sound

Pulsejets are unbelievably loud. They basically sound like a 12 gauge shotgun blast multiplied a few hundred times a second.
You can't find a more irritating or neighbor unfriendly sound, that's why pulsejet afficianados tend to congregate out in the desert somewhere.

A jet powered Whiplash or Diamond Dust is a cool idea but unfortunately they are too small for even the smallest turbines currently available.

The smallest and coolest jet I have seen is the new Stingray offered by www.yellowaircraft.com. At $395 plus landing gear it is one of the least expensive jets on the market and probably one of the best looking. Designed for smaller turbines. If you can handle a 200 mph Whiplash you can probably handle a Stingray but from comments on the Jets forum it sounds like it comes in pretty hot.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:59 AM
colbourne

Default RE: Pulse jet sound

I took my girlfriend to the Australian Nationals and we walked past the pulse jet control line circle.
She was totally terrified when the jet started.

It flew away from her and she started calming down and then as control line aircraft do it was coming towards her at around 200mph. You should have seen her panic.

A bit unfair to laugh at her discomfort but it was very funny at he time.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:26 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pulse jet sound

ORIGINAL: Dustflyer

Pulsejets are unbelievably loud. They basically sound like a 12 gauge shotgun blast multiplied a few hundred times a second.
You can't find a more irritating or neighbor unfriendly sound, that's why pulsejet afficianados tend to congregate out in the desert somewhere.

A jet powered Whiplash or Diamond Dust is a cool idea but unfortunately they are too small for even the smallest turbines currently available.
My Whiplash was actually purchased with the intention of fitting a pulsejet to it in similar fashion to the typical deltas flwon in Eurore. I had intended to fabricate a nose section for it to screw mount in place of the engine bearers etc. and fit an IV bag fuels tank in tha radio compertment. Seems I have not gotten around to this project yet.. but it is a good size for a Dynajet or Dynajet clone. Who knows, maybe this winter I'll have a bash at it.

I later bought a couple of Magnums, and had the idiotic idea of instead hacking off the rear 3/4 of the fiberglass upper deck of one of them, and grafting an externally mounted pulsejet to that. It would work, although the tail surfaces need a "bit" of modification, a V arrangement a la the Rifle would work fine. Another idea chiselled into my "to do but let's see when the heck I actually get around to it" list. Sigh..

Pulsejets are believably cool, but antisocial - you bet!

I have saved my October 1970 American Aircraft Modeler carefully, as it contains the plans and article for a Dynajet powered scale F4 Phantom.. another "one day" project. I wonder how many of those I will carry to the grave ?

www.pulse-jets.com is a forum for amateur jet builders.

Oh yes, for those dreaming about 380 kph (yes, NOT mph!) deltas, check out www.true-rc.net, Canadian section, pulsejets. Coming soon, apparently. I preordered one already.

MJD
Old 12-01-2006, 09:29 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Another option for going fast

Yeah...I gotta do that one day!
Old 12-01-2006, 12:08 PM
I-Love-Jets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fELbIozXyGI
Old 12-01-2006, 12:48 PM
paulhenley

pulse jets are banned in the uk [&o] unless you get special permition to fly one[]

u see em on ebay over ere often for about 60-100 quid

pffff

whish i was an american.....

henley
Old 12-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: paulhenley

pulse jets are banned in the uk [&o]
Could it be due, to the fact that sound of an overflying r/c model with a pulsejet engine could suddenly bring back the fear to an older person who lived through WWII? The sound of the "buzz bombs".
Old 12-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Kmot

Now that's kewl!!! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Troy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

[X(][X(][X(] Sweet!
Old 12-01-2006, 01:11 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Tom, how fast was that one going? It seemed much faster than the red one.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[X(] Holy cow! What a sound! Any body want to check its speed with doppler software?
Old 12-01-2006, 03:54 PM
I-Love-Jets

ORIGINAL: vicman

how fast was that one going? It seemed much faster than the red one.
Hello,

the orange –coloured delta in the second post does make about 280 kph. It has a 100 mm (combustion chamber diameter) pulsejet producing about 90 N of static thrust. That delta is “retired” now.

The second delta is indeed much more faster. In perfect weather conditions (right temperature & air humidity) it goes up to 450 kph with a 90 mm pulsejet engine doing 80 N of thrust. That so far is the fastest setup here in Germany.

It is not easy to find the best operational fuel pressure and injection nozzle design, because there’s a certain RAM-air effect to consider. These two engines run with a mixture of kerosene, petroleum ether (normally used for cleaning) and some turbine oil to lube the gear pump. Medical aether sometimes is used at low temperatures to get the engine started easier. You need a big car for the catapult device.

BTW, also in Germany pulsejets are banned due to noise. They are only allowed to fly with a permission of the airshow organiser.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Lomcevak Duck

[X(] Holy cow! What a sound! Any body want to check its speed with doppler software?
I think you need the prop noise rather then exhaust noise. I tried it anyway and got straight lines.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:27 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

I figure the sound of a pulse jet is what must be heard in Hell.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO HELL sounds more like a slow deflagration... like a bonfire... but, I've never been there, so what do I know...

Pulsejets are one step above that. So what do I have to do to get into pulsejet-hell...?
Old 12-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy

IMO HELL sounds more like a slow deflagration... like a bonfire... but, I've never been there, so what do I know...
I have been to hell! I was married for 6 years. It has all sorts of terrible sounds.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Kmot

LOL @ Mike!!!!!