Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Coroplast DDust/Whiplash -- Cheap Speed!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Coroplast DDust/Whiplash -- Cheap Speed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 10:47 PM
MCR-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coroplast DDust/Whiplash -- Cheap Speed!

Here is my Coro DDust/Whiplash that I flew today. What a hoot

Ready to fly weight = 3lbs, 7oz.
Engine = YS.45 w/stock muffler
Prop = MAS 10x6 @ 15,300 rpm
Airframe = 2mm Coro, 1/8" light ply ribs, 4mm Coro Elevons.

It's not as pretty as the Spiderman Whiplash and I'm sure it didn't break any speed records, but for $5 worth of material it can't be beat.

If you want fun on the cheap, go coroplast.
http://www.spadtothebone.com

Marty
Old 11-17-2002, 11:07 PM
upperking
My Feedback: (1)

hey can you post the plans or tell me how you built the wing?

i wanna build one it looks awsome..
Old 11-18-2002, 01:45 AM
MCR-RCU

Here is the forum where I got my plans from. The original spad DDust was built by chris on the RCCA SPAD Forum site. His was 28" span for a .20 size engine. I blew his plan up to 35" span to be the same size as the whiplash and Diamond Dust.

Here is the link to Chris's website that has the plans for the 28" DDust. http://spad.tc-pc.com/ddust/gallery.html

Here is the link the direct link to the DDust topic on the RCCA SPAD Forum site. I have additional pictures of my plane here also. http://www.rccombat.com/forum/topic....29&whichpage=3

Also, go to http://www.spadtothebone.com site for lots of info on building all types of coroplast airplanes, as well as sources for the materials.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:19 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Hey like the plane, nice!

But one question. How do you keep the vertical fins from laying down flat on you? I mean how do they stay at the bent angle they are at?
Old 11-18-2002, 01:25 PM
MCR-RCU

The verticals are really pretty stiff. They are made from 2 layers of 2mm coroplast with a PVC piece in between the layers. The PVC piece ( the white squares you see in the photo bewteen the verticals) is cut from a piece of PVC gutter down spout pipe. I heated and molded it to the 45deg angle of the verticals. This piece extends up into the vertical about 1 inch or so. It really made for a stiff setup. There was no sign of flutter at all.

Since I ended up adding quite a bit of tail weight to balance it, you could probably use a piece of aluminum or thin steel sheet to form the 45 degree brace from.

I'm going to be making another one and will take photos of every step along the way.

Marty
Old 11-18-2002, 09:00 PM
jlong34016

Default kit

how about someone putting a kit together? Precut ribs,prefold coroplast ect. With parts so cheap and minimal labor could be easy money.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:44 PM
upperking

you ever see the armidillos?
they have all sorts of coro kits..

http://www.kombat40.com/
Old 11-18-2002, 11:19 PM
FlooredCOBRA

okay so thats how you did it. I was wondering because in the pic i really couldn't tell. Nice!
Old 11-20-2002, 04:27 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks extremely COOL!

Not to take anything away from the extremely popular whiplash, but not everyone will part with $200 US for one, and the coro version was bound to come around!

I am currently also on a kick to see how much fun I can have for the least amount of $$ spent. Thats sure looks like something to try in the future!!

AJC
Old 11-20-2002, 12:08 PM
upperking

i bought a 8X4 sheet of 4 mill coro for 15 bucks, i figure i can get 4 of them outa that
Old 11-20-2002, 03:05 PM
tomr-RCU

That's a nice looking coro-delta. It looks like a dust, and is cheaper but it won't fly like one. The DD has a big advantage, weight. My DD weighs 31 oz. It's 24 oz (1.5 pounds) lighter than the coro-dust at 3lbs, 7oz That makes a big difference. You'll need more static thrust to get it in the air so won't be able to prop it as fast as DD.

It's not just power it's power to weight that makes speed. I'm only using a Thunder Tiger .36. It turns an 8-6 right at 17K and has more than enough thrust to get the DD into the air. I thik it's pretty cool to take a $75 motor, add a $30 tuned silencer and bolt it on a $65 dollar plane and go Very Fast. Spending 5 dollars on an air frame for a $200 engine is still less speed per dollar.

I was seriously considering the Whiplash but ended up staying with the DD because of the weight. You need a lot more motor to go the same speed.

Tom
Old 11-20-2002, 03:43 PM
jlong34016

Default DD weight

My dust weighs in at 3 lb 8oz. Thats with a ys 45. Still a pound less than a whiplash but the same as a coroplast DD. Under two pounds is incredible. I have a os32 and pipe laying around and a new DD kit. I think ill put it together as light as possible and see what happens. What servos do you use?
Old 11-20-2002, 04:39 PM
MCR-RCU

I in know way think my Coro-Dust could keep up with a Whiplash, even if they had the same equipment. That was never my intent. It has much more drag and doesn't even come close to a optimum airfoil.

I'm no expert, but I believe that speed is more about aerodynamics, drag, and prop that about aircraft weight. The extra weight will show up on take off and landing and vertical moves, but straight and level it won't make much, if any difference. And in a power dive, the heavier plane might even have the advantage.

I'm guessing you don't have to have everything just right to go fast. But FAST is a relative term. It doesn't take a perfect airfoil to go pretty fast. My guess is my Coro-Dust might have been going 120mph. It might have been going faster than that, I have no way of knowing for sure. But it was fast enough the other guys that were there were plenty impressed.

I only used the YS.45 because I had it laying around, gathering dust. Right now this thing is plenty fast for my taste. My Coro has hit the ground twice so far and is still flying. I've spent thousands of dollars on ducted fan planes over the years, and this is by far much more fun and less stressful.
Old 11-20-2002, 05:23 PM
ajcoholic

MCR,
You sure have the right attitude!

Coro planes arent about the best looking or the fastest out there. Thats not the point! The point is making a $5 plane that will give still excellent performance and NO stress flying. Thats the whole point and I sure can appreciate that. I fly everything from turbines to 1/2A and know what it is like to spend $$ on a plane. I recently have also been fooling with cororpl;ast and foam, and you know what, I agree 100% with you. I have JUST as much fun flying my $20 coro plane as I do flying my $5000 jet. Thats no lie, believe it or not. Its all about the flying!!

AJC
Old 11-21-2002, 12:06 AM
kamlooper

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i bought a 8X4 sheet of 4 mill coro for 15 bucks, i figure i can get 4 of them outa that
Upperking, the airframe is made out of 2mil coro. At least MCR made his out of 2mil. I wouldnt think 4mil would be as good..?
Old 11-21-2002, 12:29 AM
upperking

sure it would, 4 mill makes it sturdier, when i hit 250 miles an hour
2 mill would be even cheaper then 15 bucks
Old 11-21-2002, 12:31 AM
MCR-RCU

Default Coro DDust/Whiplash DRAWINGS

If anyone is interested, here are some basic drawings of what I did. They are not highly detailed, but I think enough for anyone to make one.

Mount/rib Layout http://www.i2k.com/~mcridner/photos/...ash-layout.bmp

Engine Mount from 1/4 aircraft ply http://www.i2k.com/~mcridner/photos/...lash-mount.bmp

Rib Templates from 1/8" Light ply http://www.i2k.com/~mcridner/photos/...plash-ribs.bmp

Vertical Fin template from 2mm Coroplast http://www.i2k.com/~mcridner/photos/...iplash-fin.bmp

Wing Coro Template from 2mm Coroplast http://www.i2k.com/~mcridner/photos/...plash-wing.bmp

I think you could make this plane from 4mm coro with no problem. It would be a little heavier and a little tuffer to fold, but I bet it would still be lighter than the Whiplash.

If anyone has any questions, email me and I'll be glad to try to answer them.

If anyone would like the full autocad drawing file or a DXF file, drop me a email and I'll be glad to send it to you.

Marty
[email protected]
Old 11-21-2002, 01:28 AM
kamlooper

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

4mil will work huh....great. 2 mil is hard to find in this town, only place that sells it wants $20/sheet and wont sell 1/2 sheets. 4 mil on the other hand is free for the taking.....

thanks

my msn is [email protected]
Old 11-21-2002, 02:49 AM
ajcoholic

Man,
I buy 4mm Coroplast in 4 by 8 sheets at my supplier for $7 CANADIAN! Thats like $4 US!! Cheap stuff!

Andrew

PS. dont pay $20, get it from free signs!
Old 07-14-2003, 01:12 PM
simonbsimonb

where oh where where are the plans for this spad beasty
Old 07-17-2003, 03:26 PM
wled123

Default Wheres the C.G.?

Great plans. I have a 7.5cc DF engine lying around to put into the coro-dust. Just a few questions:

1) Where is the C.G. ?
2) What is the tip rib shape? (flat ?)
3) How far out does the 2nd rib go from the root?

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:12 PM
wled123

Default Control surface size?

What's the size of the control surfaces? Are they just cut out from the TE after it's all folded and glued together?

Thanks.