Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

What's a good plane now for a ST X40?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

What's a good plane now for a ST X40?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a good plane now for a ST X40?

Well, I was given a pair of SuperTiger X40's with a bunch of spare parts. I was originally trying to fit the engine into my Wildhare LR-1, but that didn't work due to the RIRE configuration of the X40.

So I'd like to put one of these engines into a speed plane and see how it would perform. I remember many years ago always taking cover when the Formula 1's were flying as they were scary fast to me at the time.

I know I'll need to make a pinch tube shut off and use a bubbleless tank. But what suggestions for the airframe? A Viper Q500?, one of those delta wings?

Anyone want to sell an old but flyable F1?

Thanks for any suggestions. Dan
Old 01-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What's a good plane now for a ST X40?

whiplash Perhaps?
Old 01-18-2006, 10:52 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Plan on high nitro content, and A LOT of noise. More than you've probably ever heard before.

good luck, there was a NIB one for sale at our swap shop last week, and I was tempted
Old 01-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Airbike

Dave, I did run one of the X40 on a test stand and used a set of ear muffs that I use for shooting. Yep, its the loadest engine I ever ran! Just a short exhaust pipe. I was able to get another angled exhaust pipe from Dave Shadel?at Performance Specialties for the second X40 so they are both ready for something, and NO, I am not really brave enough to try a twin X40 powered rocket with no throttles.[]

I guess I should also keep an eye on the for sale stuff in case something comes along.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:15 AM
daven

A formula 1 occasionally goes on sale here or at ebay. I picked one up about a year ago that was very nice for a good price. Keep an eye out, you will find something. Or you could build a Q40 wood kit from kevin Matney that aren't too expensive.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:39 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Just a suggestion......

see if maybe Shadel might be willing to fit up the engines with full pipes - FAI style. Maybe re-set the heads to Sport-Formula setups.

Would definately be quieter - you can drop back to regular 10-15% nitro fuel

As dave noted ----- hunt down an old F-1 - the engine will be very at home in there.... You might even find and older FAI ship too.... those become out-of-date as quick as calander pages. Likely a few gathering dust in someones rafters.

(great timing actually - I just received these - photos attached of an older F-1 with a FIRE-50 and pipe in it - just for a visual reference..)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52062.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	390728   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44602.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	390729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93551.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	390730  
Old 01-19-2006, 03:37 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Airbike:

My most favorite airframe of all time was the old DC tusnami 40. The best flying little 40 sized airframe ever in my view. My racer went in a day prior to a club race while practiceing. That evening, was looking at whats on the ceiling, and motor cupboard. Stuck a Irving 53 with Performance pipe and couple race wheels on the fixed gear. Wow! It became to plane I went to when the guys were breathing down my neck. Never got around to putting in retracts, and flat just did not need any more speed at the time. Radio gods finally took it several years later. Even the guys that hated to see it come out grieved some with me. One post, Bob Brazil mentioned that A.R.D. entepersies has purchased the tsunami rights from DC. I had begged DC to produce a 60 size for several years. According to Bob, A.R.D. was going to possibly do that in 06. If you want something that is fast by nature, try a Tsunami, use retracts, cut one bay from each wing, and it will be scary fast, period. After the race, pop on a sports prop and do the full pattern with style.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:01 PM
HaveBlue

Hi rmenke ..have a look here

http://www.junorc.com/
Old 01-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Airbike

Thanks for the suggestions guys,

I don't want to build one up from a kit at this time (already got a 85" Super Duelist and a 28% GeeBee R2 waiting in line to be built)

I wanted some arf or something used, doesn't have to look pretty, just structurally sound.

I might even consider one of the Shrike arfs or that delta arf from Hobby People. I never really cared for delta wings though.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:05 PM
HighPlains

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think we measured the sound level at about 113 db years ago. They really sound great when 4 of them are running at 22K+ waiting for the flag to drop. Then the smell of 65% nitro.....ah!!!

I've got a few engines and parts left too. You should be able to find a F1 kit if you look hard enough. They do fly extremely well, though landing can be a challenge on any strip shorter than 500 feet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86471.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	393302  
Old 01-23-2006, 05:33 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, you guys seem to know these older ST's. I have two ST X.45's, FIRE. Blue four-bolt heads. One NIB, the other I ran for a bit years (years!) ago on a Top Flite Hot Canary. Well talk about loud, I didn't have the pipe yet so ran open exhaust and richened up a bit. Very strong engine for the time, maybe still is. I would guess I found them in one of our LHS's around the early to mid '80's. I ended up putting Picco 40 FISE in the HC so the X45 went back in the box and has rested in peace there ever since.

What purpose was that engine targeted towards? I would assume pattern, with the rear exhaust and over 7.5cc displacement. Anyone have any experience with them? It has been so long I dont even know if I would expend the effort to find a header and pipe for them and put them in something, but that depends on what I could expect for performance. i.e. is it worth it? At the time I thought it was a bear, but I didn't know s--t then, and likely still don't, but maybe more in comparison.

THX, MJD
Old 04-08-2006, 12:15 AM
AIRFREAK-1

I had a ST 45X FIRE in a modified DC RC Doddger Q-500 (39"wing and v-tail with no landing gear) for about a year. The ST runs simular to a K&B 6.5 FIRE - 16,500 static with APC 8-10 and unloads a lot in the air. Use a MACS standard 7.5 cc pipe not a nitro pipe and 15% fuel. MACS also makes headers for the ST 45X even though they are'nt listed in their catalog @www.macspro.com so you will have to call MACS to see if he has any in stock and if he does'nt go to www.sheldonshobbies.com they have almost every header MACS makes and they are also less expensive. You will have to call sheldons because they doe'nt list all items on their web site. BTW I know they have ST 45X headers because I was down there two weeks ago and they a box full in the stock room. You will need to know which style you need-0 degree 15 degree or fuse top. I hope this info helps you.