Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Need more speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 09:44 PM
mumblety-peg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need more speed

I know, we all do. I'm flying a Sonic 500 (it's an old Q500) right now with a Jett 50. And it's no longer fast enough. Especialy now that some of the 1/4 scale pattern snobs are complaining about the speed of the Sonic.[>:]

I don't want to spend a fortune on an airframe. I'm considering Matney models animal or the AJ 2. Or perhaps a wild hare LR 1.

I'd like to use the Jett 50. I do have an OS 32 that I could try in the AJ2. I just don't know if it would be enough speed. Any feed back is appreciated. And any alternate suggestions.

Thanks
Mitch
Old 03-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need more speed

Build a diamond dust kit is reasonable $ and fast. clipped wing may get you a little extra speed.

ACM whiplash long out of production might come back tho.

LR-1 Well I stuffed a Jett 50 in it but had to: make my own engine mount, make and exaust extention, double the firewall, cut the rudder out of the fuse and hinge it, hide the tail wheel in the rudder, revert back to HS-81MG from HS-225MG since they would not fit in the wing. still waiting for good weather to fly it.

Kangke may release a new speed plane the guy in NY is very tight lipped on its design and date. Prototypes are being flown somewhere in China.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:15 PM
mumblety-peg

Crazy4Flight-

I had a dust and enjoyed it. But I want something with lg.

And thanks for the info on the LR1. The Jett 50 seems like more work than I'd want to do right now.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:04 AM
mumblety-peg

Darn it... I just sat down to change the prop on my Jett 50. Things sound bad in there. Some major squeaking when I turned the prop. I better send it in for repair.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:08 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

squeeking ?

It should do that when you pull the engine through top-dead-center. Should almost feel like its trying to lock up sometimes on a real good engine.

should not squeek anywhere else in the rotation (or grinding feel - that means bearings)

As for aircraft, see if you can find a used QM40. Sometimes they are on here in the market place and other auctions. The SJ-50 will pretty much drop in, and it will be the fastest thing you have ever flown. Or a new QM40 if your budget permits. Lyle Larson, Matney, H&M all make good QM aircraft suitable for speed/sport use.

Along those lines, you might want to consider a top-end composite Q-500 aircraft. Larson's Bird of Prey is a good example.

The composite birds cost a bit more, but compair to other ARF type planes on the market... they are still pretty decent value.

Another decent option is to look into a Magnum R, or see of Angel (see angel r/c on here) to see if his Rifel is available yet.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:22 PM
flyingmachine
My Feedback: (9)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey speed demon friend. Go with the F20 tigershark from www.junorc.com or the diamond dust which is perfect for the Jett .50 built right you should get at least 180 mph !!!!!!! found at www.diamonddustrc.com

Have FUN

Rich
Old 03-28-2006, 02:00 PM
mumblety-peg

Thanks for the help guys. I'm leaning towards a Matney models. but I will look for something used here at RCU also.

Bob- The engine just felt or sounded different. Just to be safe, I sent it in to be looked at. I have plenty of other projects to keep me busy in the mean time. I just found out my club has some kind of racing starting next month. So I may have to add one more plane to my list.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:21 PM
TheTick

How fast are you looking to go? Here's an electric Q40 that goes 200+mph. Problem is the power system aint cheap. Nice thing is..you can taxi and fly for 10 min with throttle management.

http://www.flyemfast.com/files/BestVen.wmv
Old 03-28-2006, 08:12 PM
mumblety-peg

Thanks Tick-

I've thought about it. And I could probably afford a single set of cells. But the thought of replacing a pack is too much. MAybe in a year or two when prices and cell lifetime are better.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:08 PM
TheTick

Yeah...the electric stuff is still expensive. I wonder how long it would take before you made your money back in fuel costs? I never did the math.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:43 AM
mumblety-peg

It's the thought of a crash or a puffed pack that keeps me away. If I got a hundred + flights off of a pack I'd be OK with it.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:01 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have a OS 32 and want to go fast with something that looks like a plane, pick a 1/12 scale combat model like a P-51 and modify its wings to be as thin as possible.. install robart retracts and
try to keep the model weight as low as you can. You can get 150+ mph
with this combo , and best of all the small size of the plane makes it look like it is going much faster than it really is.

Good luck, Enrique