Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

COVERING A DIAMOND DUST

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

COVERING A DIAMOND DUST

Old 06-02-2006, 06:22 PM
flyingmachine
My Feedback: (9)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default COVERING A DIAMOND DUST

Ok guys, I am getting ready to cover my dust and wanted some feedback. I am using hanger 9 ultracote and te instructions recommend the following.

" AFTER THE AIRCRAFT IS FINISH SANDED AND HAS BEEN FUEL PROOFED, YOU NEED TO INSTALL 1" WIDE STRIPS OF SUPER COVERITE WHICH ARE INCLUDED IN THE KIT. INSTALL ON THE TOP AND BOTTOM OF THE AIRCRAFT FROM WING TIP TO WING TIP OVER THE FORWARD AND REAR MAIN SPARS. THIS IS TO GIVE THE ULTRA COAT A PLACE TO ATTACH TO BETWEEN THE RIP CAP STRIPS."

have you guys done this? Just use a heating iron right?

Thanks

Rich

Old 06-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: COVERING A DIAMOND DUST

The early kits a few years back did not have the super coverite strips. I liked to cover each side with one large piece and use a heating iron.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I tried the coverite thing... didn't work for me... it appeared to shrink in the wrong direction: the strips got narrower, but they didn't tighten up. After that I just didn't try anymore, left them on and just covered over them without looking back.

I use 4 pieces of covering to cover the plane... less chance of wrinkles. Both of my dusts came out perfectly straight and wrinkle free (I was pretty proud of myself when I finished the first one )
Old 06-02-2006, 08:05 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You could probably do the same thing with 3/4" wide strapping tape. CA glue one end of it down, then pull it tightly across the span and then glue the other end down. I think this span wise "trick" could cause the covering to cup in a unaerodynamically way at speed.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:45 PM
flyingmachine
My Feedback: (9)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replys, I successfully used the coverrite strip. We shall see

Thanks

rich