Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

EXTREME speed

Old 07-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXTREME speed

I just came back from our USRA Giant Scale races in Illinois...
You guys got anything that will break 245 MPH ?
Fred French flew a 31 lb NA50 powered by an Aerrow 200 twin...I saw 245 mph on radar at the end of the 1600 foot straightaway...
I don't know of anything faster with a propellor....
I think the prop was a 21x25 carbon fiber, rpm around 10,000....
Old 07-07-2006, 07:45 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: EXTREME speed

I've never seen anything that size race, all of the giant models I've seen were pretty slow. How does this 30 pound plane compare with a Q-40 for apparent speed? That is what matters most to me, the apparent speed is what gives the thrill. A huge model has several built in advantages to make it go fast, that is why the accepted size limit for what most of us are talking about here is 10 ccs. Otherwise, all you would have to do to make the Aerrow 200 look like a slug is get the "MYTHBUSTERS" jacked up over the idea of creating a 300 mph model plane. That's why a line was drawn by the FAI at 10 cc. Interesting that there isn't any AMA category for RC SPEED?