Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Its Bobcat nice

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Its Bobcat nice

I can attest as well, it should be nose high to rotate. Mine went 1/4 mile across a dry lake
at full speed and would not rotate. I had to raise the nose all the way, and it was OK. But,
mine was nose heavy because of the wrong c/g setting, and that was part of the problem
as well.

Even now, It shoots straight up when it does take off. You must hold full up on them for
some reason. I made some wider gear for mine, and moved them forward as well so it
is easier to lift the nose wheel.

FBD.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:47 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: z06kal

How bad was your negative incidence? Ie difference in inches between mains and nose?
I never really meaured, and since the gear differ in length the only way to get something accurate would be with an incidence meter.

I believe it was about -2 degrees or so, though.

Now I have about 2-3 degrees of positive incidence.

Change your incidence. Make it positive.

While you may want to avoid making the change, you'll be glad you did.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:16 PM
AGR413
My Feedback: (1)

I must have a different plane lol I don't touch the elevator and at speed mine will lift up into the ground effect and I then apply elevator. Go figgur?
Old 01-09-2008, 02:19 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: AGR413

I must have a different plane lol I don't touch the elevator and at speed mine will lift up into the ground effect and I than apply elevator. Go figgur?
At what incidence?

Old 01-09-2008, 02:22 PM
AGR413

Positive nose incidence of course, I was thinking of FBD's reply when I typed that.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Flyboy Dave

....wierd. Even though I have mine is nose high and balanced, and I still must pull lots
of "up" to get it airborne. [X(]

Most of them need 1/8" "up" trim in the elevator as well for level flight. So maybe the
wing has negative incidence relative to the horiz. stab. The nose high "angle of attack"
is off-setting the negative incidence in the wing ???
Old 01-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Flyboy Dave

Positive nose incidence of course, I was thinking of FBD's reply when I typed that.

....you're talking about the angle of attack, with a nose high attitude.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:43 PM
opjose

Mine will fly level with the trailing edge of the elevator, level with the top trailing edge of the horizontal stabilizer... or just beyond that.

However relative to the fuse it appears that I have some positive incidence to the wing.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:25 PM
AGR413

ORIGINAL: Flyboy Dave

....you're talking about the angle of attack, with a nose high attitude.
Yes professor FBD postive angle of attack with the nose gear fully extended.

My elevator is within 1/16-1/8 of being level with the top of the elevator at neutral. Balance is at 10.3-10.5 aft of leading edge meeting fuselage measured right side up (not upside down). I know I know. Mine is right on the margin for CG, if it gets started going up it wants to keep going up but displays no other bad behavior which is no big deal because this plane should be "flown" everywhere it goes anyway. There may be a motor incidence issue in there somewhere to but I'm not going to go digging it flies just fine. However those of you that came up with the spoileron solution my hat is off to you. I have many many flights now with the spoilerons and I am one happy camper. No more "O GOD ITS TIME TO LAND THIS BEAST" I on the switch just before I reach the end of the runway and flare just before touchdown (looks just like I know what I am doing, even though I don't shhhhhhh)
Old 01-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Flyboy Dave

Maybe they all vary....I'll check mine and see where it's at.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:36 PM
AGR413

I was waiting for your reply, I think the mounting of the booms (which affects elevator incidence) is very subjective on this plane. The tips of my booms don't sit flush on the wing (very slight gap) but the rest of the boom sits snug on the wing, this seemed intuitively more correct to me. Maybe this plays a role as well. The relocation of your landing gear may (may) play a role as well?
Old 01-09-2008, 03:58 PM
opjose

No more "O GOD ITS TIME TO LAND THIS BEAST"
That succintly describes landing the plane w/o spoilerons!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:04 PM
z06kal

Okay I redid my retracts. Unfortunately I had to cut a slot in the nose wheel wheel well for the wheel to go down further. Oh welp more cooling for the 3.5 pounds of batteries LOL. Right now my nose wheel is about 3/4" longer than my mains. Is this the ammount of up incididence I want or more or less?
Old 01-09-2008, 05:25 PM
opjose

As long as the wings sit either level with the ground or the leading edge is higher than the trailing edge you'll do fine.

Remember that this is along the wing chord.

Add spoilerons too! You need them with this plane.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:25 PM
bettungesvik

Hey guys, I have an OS .75 I was thinking about throwing on my Bobcat. What do you think?
Old 02-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Flyboy Dave

.....it should be a winner.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:25 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was waiting for your reply, I think the mounting of the booms (which affects elevator incidence) is very subjective on this plane. The tips of my booms don't sit flush on the wing (very slight gap) but the rest of the boom sits snug on the wing, this seemed intuitively more correct to me. Maybe this plays a role as well. The relocation of your landing gear may (may) play a role as well?
A very small change in the boom has a large affect on the stabilizer incidence. A 1/64" shim at the front boom mounting hole would change the stab incidence by 6 degrees.

"The tips of my booms don't sit flush on the wing ..." Same and I put it together anyway hoping for the best.

The airplane requires 16 1/2 oz. sitting on the stab to rotate. Used fixed gear and mounted the wheel CL 2" behind the CG (10.3) because I suspect it would not rotate on demand. Initial balance is 1/4" forward of 10.3". With standard servos all around and Sub-C batteries up front the all up weight is 7 pounds 7 oz.

Through bolts were used on the booms thinking that I might move the booms forward 1/2" at a time experimentally after the flight characteristics are understood. Used an old Royal .46 with removable front housing and ran it backwards to avoid the pusher prop hassle. Booms moved 3" forward would allow a 10 oz. heavier engine without adding weight to the nose or would allow lighter batteries without changing the CG. And I have a ST .90 with removable front housing. The two engines that I ran backwards on the bench ran remarkably well.

Finished and ground handling tests should be this week. This has been a fun project with endless experimental possibilities. If my building skills were better a small canard would already be mounted to the nose wheel former. A canard might allow minimum stabilizer and elevator and reduce weight in the tail. Maybe after the flight characteristics are understood.

Bill
Old 02-12-2008, 01:19 PM
z06kal

I used a Laser incidence meter to check mine. The very tip of the boom wasn't quite flush with the curved top of the wing. However most of the boom layed perfectly flat against the wing. Incidence was very very close within 1/4 of a degree.

These parts are all laser cut so it is pretty hard to throw off the incidence by a large ammount. If you were to shim the front of the boom even a small amount it would be very obvious in how the rest of the boom sits against the wing not to mention the balsa will easy crush/flex this ammount if you screw it down hard to seat against the wing.

Mine is electric. All up weight is 11 pounds.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_69...tm.htm#6970911

Old 02-12-2008, 03:11 PM
AGR413

ORIGINAL: BillS

A very small change in the boom has a large affect on the stabilizer incidence. A 1/64" shim at the front boom mounting hole would change the stab incidence by 6 degrees.

"The tips of my booms don't sit flush on the wing ..." Same and I put it together anyway hoping for the best.

The airplane requires 16 1/2 oz. sitting on the stab to rotate. Used fixed gear and mounted the wheel CL 2" behind the CG (10.3) because I suspect it would not rotate on demand. Initial balance is 1/4" forward of 10.3". With standard servos all around and Sub-C batteries up front the all up weight is 7 pounds 7 oz.

Through bolts were used on the booms thinking that I might move the booms forward 1/2" at a time experimentally after the flight characteristics are understood. Used an old Royal .46 with removable front housing and ran it backwards to avoid the pusher prop hassle. Booms moved 3" forward would allow a 10 oz. heavier engine without adding weight to the nose or would allow lighter batteries without changing the CG. And I have a ST .90 with removable front housing. The two engines that I ran backwards on the bench ran remarkably well.

Finished and ground handling tests should be this week. This has been a fun project with endless experimental possibilities. If my building skills were better a small canard would already be mounted to the nose wheel former. A canard might allow minimum stabilizer and elevator and reduce weight in the tail. Maybe after the flight characteristics are understood.

Bill
Intriguing, you just gave me inspiration for an idea. I want to order one of these put canards on it, a vertical stab and get rid of the booms and elevator. It would look like a plane from the rocket racing league!
Old 02-12-2008, 03:19 PM
opjose

Intriguing, you just gave me inspiration for an idea. I want to order one of these put canards on it, a vertical stab and get rid of the booms and elevator. It would look like a plane from the rocket racing league!
Heh, yeah it would look a bit like one of these with canards!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:37 PM
BillS

The canard is turning out simpler than expected and will be prototyped soon.

Bill
Old 02-13-2008, 12:13 AM
AGR413

ORIGINAL: opjose

Heh, yeah it would look a bit like one of these with canards!

Yep except without that stupid looking flat thing on top of the vertical stab what do you call that again?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:19 AM
BillS

The canard concept. Needs refinement but appears that it will function with only a little modification.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70094.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	877606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90595.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	877607  
Old 02-13-2008, 11:45 AM
opjose

Pretty cool... I may have to try this on the Falcon 1.20.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:51 AM
opjose

Yep except without that stupid looking flat thing on top of the vertical stab what do you call that again?
Uh, I'd call it "that stupid looking flat thing on top of the vertical stab"...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.