Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

DD Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DD Opinion

I finally ordered me a Diamond Dust. Been collecting all the threads onit over the last 6 months or so. Whenever it gets done, some of you may see a resemblence of one of your ideas on it. heres the thing, I have a Shrike 40 for a few years. Its in the "My Models Icon." Nice plane and flys well. However as many of you know, these color schemes we put on these thngs just don't mean jack 500 ft away at 100plus mph. The only thing that keeps me oriented on my shrike is the 2 vertical fins. Color does nothing for me .

Now on most all my other planes the bottoms are solid white for orientation. So with this i was considering suicide colors on the DD. Probably a nice solid dark color on top and solid white underneath. The 2 fins should keep me straight like the shrike. I mean the red white and blue on my shrike shows up like a dark wad when its way out their. So I may as well design it as a dark setup.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DD Opinion

I have to agree that color does little to help as distance increases. Just don't blink when it is way out and fast. I think you will like it and good luck.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Cyclic Hardover

I don't blink on anything anymore. Even if its a Kite. I hate that instant drysweat throat lumping slight heart attack feeling you get when its gone for a second.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:43 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate that instant drysweat throat lumping slight heart attack feeling you get when its gone for a second.
Well stated.[X(]
Old 08-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Cyclic Hardover

And to make it worse, it's only a dumb plane and the feeling that comes over you is like your life is about to be over.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:24 PM
huey-pilot
My Feedback: (17)

My first DD was black on top and white on the bottom with red fins, it was very hard to tell top from bottom unless you could see the fins, if I couldn't see the fins I would give it up elevator and see which the airplane went to regain orientation. I later recovered the bottom in fluorescent green and this made a huge difference, I seldom need to look for the fins anymore and don't have to give it up elevator to see what direction is up. My second DD was black on top red fins and orange fluorescent on the bottom, I found that the orange isn't nearly as visible as the green so after a few flights I replaced the orange with green.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:47 PM
ChuckL
My Feedback: (2)

I use fluorescent yellow or orange on the top of my deltas, I have flourescent green on my clipped DD shows up good but not as well as the other two colors, black or checkers on the bottom I also have white fins but with the flourescent colors I agree you never have to guess about the orientation.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:30 AM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

I have noticed that with my 2 Dusts: it is much easier to see a plane with a white top and a dark bottom versus the converse.

My clipped wing Dust has a white top with dark trim on the leading edge and a red bottom (with a tranverse stripe). It is very easy to orient.

My other Dust is red on top with a white bottom. I believe that this is a very big mistake, due to the fact that when the sun is behind me, the whole plane turns black anyway. Since the dark side is on top most of the time, i can never note a contrast. Whereas with a white top, i can see a contrast when the sun is behind me. I almost lost the red Dust on its maiden flight because of this.

Another thing that helps me identify top from bottom is the tuned pipe on top of the clipped wing Dust. Really helps in profile
Old 08-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Grey on top and grey on bottom is my recommendation...

Have fun and take pics!
Old 08-25-2006, 03:15 PM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

Grey on top and grey on bottom is my recommendation...

Have fun and take pics!

Or better yet Sky Blue on top and bottom