Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

YS 45 REPLACEMNT OPTIONS

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

YS 45 REPLACEMNT OPTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 09:57 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default YS 45 REPLACEMNT OPTIONS

Hey everyone, im working with YS to get some YS 45s built for my CBMs and I was just wondering if theres another engine out there thats pumped and runs as good as these
Old 08-24-2006, 10:48 AM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: YS 45 REPLACEMNT OPTIONS

Not that I have seen. I have owned seven of them along with just about every other brand of performance engine and none run as well consistantly as the YS. The high end ones (Jett, Rossi, Nelson) tend to be very needle, set up, glow plug, and tank position sensitive. Don't get me wrong, the others do run great, but I am yet to find an engine in its size range where you can put the tank anywhere, never touch the needle, not blow glow plugs every other flight, and just run the snot out of it. It is unfortunate that they are not producing them like they used to.

You can often find them on the used market. I have seen several in new and like new condition sell for decent money.

I hope this helps
Anthony
Old 08-24-2006, 11:22 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

Hey everyone, im working with YS to get some YS 45s built for my CBMs and I was just wondering if theres another engine out there thats pumped and runs as good as these

As Anthony noted, there is really no replacement for the YS when it comes to a pressure regulated fuel system. For the CBM pusher planes, it is the best choice.

Although, I will note, that the Jett engines are not in anyway difficult to set up, needle or tank. No special glow plugs (K&B1-L recommended). Very conventional when it comes to that, and some of the most user friendly engines found anywhere. They simply perform better than most.

However in the pusher setup, with the rather goofy fuel system CBM uses, you have to commit to a pressure-regulated fuel system to deliver fuel through 2 feet of fuel line.

Quite a few folks have flown the CBM F-16 and F-18 using the Jett SJ-50 and SJ-60L engines with very good success. CBM was quick to recommend either the YS45 or Jett 50 as engine choices. But in each case, the fuel system was change - tanks move further aft, and a 2oz hopper tank right at the firewall was used. The power and reliability are there, you just have to use a bit of your own engineering to properly set up the fuel system, and it will work great without the need for a pump.

In short, if you want a viable alternative, the Jett SJ-60LX (or FIRE-60LXpipe running back into the fuselage), with the hopper-tank setup, 10x6P prop (or a reverse-rotation crank and use a standard 10x6 or 10x7)

http://members.aol.com/cbmjets/homepage/rcmf16n.html

Old 08-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Jett's and (Rossi's for that matter) are not difficult to needle or set-up... The reason the YS is oft mentioned for the CBM is the pump/RE version- (use good fuel tanks also so they don't explode)
Old 08-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Rossi .45 still has the same Rossi plug in it that it came with
three years ago.

FBD. [8D]
Old 08-24-2006, 07:30 PM
FenderBean

thanks for the info guys I guess ill just bumb my order up to 4 YS 45s and have them send me lots of bearings and stuff to keep them running for ever LOL
Old 08-25-2006, 09:52 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Is Dave Shadel assembling a couple of complete YS45 engines from parts for you ?
Old 08-25-2006, 06:19 PM
FenderBean

No his name is Richard. He works dir for YS. I called him back today and he started looking around for the parts. He did find parts so hopefully he will call me monday and say there ready
Im happy, but im also sad that from the looks of it I will be getting that last YS 45 RE parts they have. Only going to get 2 since thats all they have, but i will be able to get the extra bearings and stuff that wears out.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Razor-RCU

EBAY has a YS-45 almost every week.... (You gonna run the Macs 7.5 or 8.5CC pipe?
Old 08-25-2006, 09:31 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I go along with Bob on this one. Some peopl are afraid of high dollar engines for fear of performance complications . My Jett 50 and 90 dials in just as simple as any OS or ST. Just much more power. The Jetts are a extremely basic setup.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:04 PM
FenderBean

razer im not sure what pipe to run I was going to ask on here, since i have never ran tuned pipes before. I have been in rc for 15 years and never had a speed freak model like this
any recommendations?
Old 08-25-2006, 10:07 PM
FenderBean

razer i just want these engines to not have to worry about the fuel tank issue is all. I really need the pumped engine, plus if I can get them hey why not right?
Yeah i check ebay every day, but the engines deff looked used and no telling how much lifes left in them, these 2 jets are going to be really nice, with lots of detail and I just want a completely new setup.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Electric Delta
My Feedback: (13)

Hi Fenderbean,

there are a few alternatives, since it looks like you're prepared to go to some trouble and expense to get a good pumped
.45 sized engine. I love my O.S. .46 SF ABC-P engine, it never misses a beat! These aren't made anymore either, and NIB
they are rare and cost plenty on eBay, but they are hard to beat. You can still get the carb and pump at Tower Hobbies,
either individually or together, not cheap, but they are available, so you could "make your own" O.S. .46 SF ABC-P. Also
worth noting, you can put the same carb and pump to use on a new O.S. .46 FX (saw off and toss the backplate needle
valve, add a crankcase pressure tap), the parts will fit just fine. If the original O.S. pump and carb are too expensive for
you, you can also take a look at a Perry pump and carb, they work very well and are reasonably priced.

Electric Delta

PS: Check my gallery photo of my Shrike .40 with this engine and Macs pipe.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:01 PM
FenderBean

yeah I remember this engine, my dad had one back in the day I will keep my eyes pealed thanks
Old 08-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Razor-RCU

The pumped SF was "okay" but not compared to a YS on a pipe. You can also run a UT or Jett-Stream muffler on the YS-45 bolt and go--- DO NOT use the stock muffler, that engine runs almost identical numbers to a 46FX when using stock muffler (That is why they do not include it anymore)

The fuel tank can be 3 feet away and 6" lower than the Center of the carb. and you will NEVER KNOW IT! (10x7 or 8APC)

7.5 CC macs full pipe is my suggestion
Old 08-27-2006, 12:38 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

On a whiplash I run a YS-45 RE with Mac's tuned pipe 7.5cc (un-muffed) #1140 and a 1.2 rise (fuse-top) header #3572 cut to 4" from flange face to end of header. Good launches and insanely fast top end with a APC 9x9 sport prop on 15%nitro/18% oil Wildcat.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:56 AM
Razor-RCU

Woo-Hoo! I had that EXACT combo on Whip #1 Freakinfast-

I like the 9x9 on my Jett-50 but never used one on the Whip/YS.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:54 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spend yer $