Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Can you help me out?

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Can you help me out?

Old 09-29-2006, 01:40 PM
Flying freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you help me out?

Is ther any good plane that you can think of that has decent speed and is easy enough for a noob to fly?

right now im doing low passes with my trainer and well it aint that fast im affread to but it in a dive because last tim i saw some do that the wing exploded in mid air.

any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 09-29-2006, 01:59 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: Can you help me out?

ORIGINAL: Flying freak

any suggestions?
Wait a year, it will be safer to try highspeed planes AFTER you get some more stick time.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 09-29-2006, 02:00 PM
juanpipito

get an ugly stick its agresat second plane, definitely fasster than a trainer
Old 09-29-2006, 02:00 PM
Flying freak

ORIGINAL: soarrich

any suggestions?
Wait a year, it will be safer to try highspeed planes AFTER you get some more stick time.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Ok so it will be a 3rd plane doesnt sound that bad of an idea what do iput in the middle i dont think my trainer can survive another year of the abuse im going it
Old 09-29-2006, 02:15 PM
soarrich

An Ugly Stick is a good choice, they're cheap, and easy to fix, make it a taildragger, if you fly off of anything but pavement. Nose gear slow the plane down, and they are 90% of the maintenance of a beginners plane, they are firewall ripper outers.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:28 PM
TIA

Try a Voyager 40 ARF or Kaos 40 ARF! Each around 100 bucks and still have the tricycle landing gear so you won't have to worry about tail-draggers yet. Both fly well and can handle more than the trainer. These are probably your first logical step for getting into aerobatics and will introduce you to more speed too!
Old 09-29-2006, 02:50 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I second the Kaos 40 or an Ultra Stick has lots of options with the
flaps, air brakes and stuff.

The Ultra stick requires a 6 channel or bigger computer radio for the fancy
stuff.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:03 PM
Flying freak

Whats the big deal with a tail dragger? why is everone so scared of them? i dont understand instead to stearing the front of the plane you stear the back wait for the give it a little down (to get sterring) once you get a little speed easy of the elvator and wait for the tail to lift once it does gentaily reapply elevator... what am i missing?
Old 09-29-2006, 03:12 PM
TIA

Whats the big deal with a tail dragger? What am i missing?
Landing!

Old 09-29-2006, 03:16 PM
TIA

Wheels in front of the cg or even the wing. Changes the way it lands. Nobody's scared of them, they're just not what you consider a beginners airplane.

Look where the wheels are in relation to the spar in the first pic, then the second.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64787.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	532419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90369.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	532420  
Old 09-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

The Ultra-Sport is a great airframe--- They come in ARF and kit form, 40 and bigger size (60?). They are pretty mellow, pretty fast and pretty aerobatic! Wide gear stance for a tail dragger so that's a plus also!

The Kaos and "Sticks" are great also... (Folks usually get bored purty fast with a stick tho-)

Mine is VERY ugly but at least you can see the airframe-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45639.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	532491  
Old 09-29-2006, 05:25 PM
Flying freak

ORIGINAL: ***Reno***

Whats the big deal with a tail dragger? What am i missing?
Landing!

Hmmm... good point [:@][&:]
Old 09-29-2006, 07:37 PM
Crash-D

I wouldn't say exactly to be afraid of a tail dragger but it does take some practice learning to land one. Just makes sure it's stable on all wheels and not tipsy or it will cause you to all-out hate tail draggers to start with.

For a beginning speed plane i'd suggest a Patriot 40 or XL. I love my Patriot 40 and it does exactly what i want it to do. Either with speed or without out it, its stable and can be very fast. Just build it light and make sure to talk to Razor because he probably knows everything there is to know about Patriot's. Their also pretty aerobatic for what their made to do.

And as for landing mine floats right in.
Also i changed mine to be a tail-dragger.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:48 PM
setxws6

Get something with a low wing, but not a super fast plane. It doesn't matter on landing gear. Tri landing gears give good ground handling and are easy take off and landing style. Tail draggers are not bad, it's just sometimes they want to nose over on you if you don't know what you're doing.
Also get a plane were you can just transfer your engine and radio out of your trainer to the new plane, to save money.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:04 PM
rcflyer1970
My Feedback: (212)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My second plane was a Sig Kougar but you have to build it, I flew it four years, it was rugged and with the right engine it was fairly fast and great on windy days. Final demise was a engine flame out in a inverted flat spin (balanced tail heavy for aerobatics) couldn't pull out.[]
Old 09-29-2006, 08:15 PM
Crash-D

That really sucks. Did you get another?

I lost my Mach Racer in a bean field at 110 mph after a clevis came unhooked and the plane rolled its self straight down. Left a huge whole in the hard dirt. About a 1ft deep and 3 ft across. We all heard that crack. That and my one word -- "sh-it".
Old 09-29-2006, 08:21 PM
soarrich

Guys, this guy has had one plane! You telling him to get a Kaos, nothing wrong with Kaos's, a Super Kaos 60 was my first low winger, but it wasn't my second plane! Are you guys forgetting what it's like to be learning? He has a highwing, the next step seems to be a shoulder wing, a Stick is a 4 channel plane, you don't need flaps. As for tailwheels being harder to land, maybe if you landing at 100 mph with a Q-500. The field I fly at 95% of the planes are taildraggers, no problems. Are you forgetting beginners tend to dive at the runway and wheelbarrow on the front wheel?

If someone wants me to instruct them I tell them get a LT-40, a cheap 40~46, convert the plane to a taildragger, otherwise get another instructor. A Stick would be my choice for a second plane, 40 Kaos for the third, though I think a CG Tiger II would be a better first low winger. Each plane will teach you something new, and will seem faster. You'l have more fun flying your 70 mph Sitck, than walking out to look at the hole your 120 mph speed plane made in the ground.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Crash-D

I agree with you. But i think most of us were just pointing out what speed plane we like being that early on Flying Freak said that this speed thing would be better suited to his 3rd plane. Yes for his 2nd plane he should get something easy like a tiger 2 or Kaos. Another great Flying plane that is very adaptable to anything is an Easy Sport. Thats my #1 recommendation for a 2nd aircraft. Then maybe a slower speed plane like a Patriot that wont top 120 just yet. Atleast thats what i was replying for. Sorry.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:51 PM
Razor-RCU

All good points IMHO- Rich is right but these days with simulators and video games, the last time I recommended a shoulder wing stick (next logical step after trainer) the kid/guy flew one and thought it was the same as a trainer... (it's not, for the record)

Flyin Freak's question is unique in that he wants a little speed (can't blame the guy!) whereas I usually recommend the 4*40 or Sig Somethin' Extra as 2nd planes, I thought the Ultra Sport or kaos (stock engine) would be O.K. in this situation...

So Fly-Freak- Do you have an instructor that can trim or buddy-box your 2nd plane? Sounds like we need more info. from ya

Captb- That is great! The Kougar is an excellent flying airplane but 2nd plane? You took the excellerated course, cuz I cannot recommend that airframe as #2 (Inverted flat-spins- you try so hard to get a plane to do it that it does it SOO GOOD that you can't get out- been there, done that!)

Great thread!

Crash is mentioning the patriot... I dunno- it can fly pretty stable and predictable but slow speed lack of controllability would make it model #3 at least for me--- I had one with flaps and boy was that awesome!

I still say Ultra Sport
Old 09-29-2006, 09:00 PM
skull1971

Don't let them scare you, I skipped trainers all together, first plane was a UltraStick 40. I never had a problem with landing it, your trainer is harder to fly! It'll do everything with the right set up. There is an idea that you have to "Earn" the right to fly better planes as a new pilot, screw that, if you can afford it, fly it, it's just a toy. Oh and did I destroy my Stick, almost 2 years of almost every weekend, in sometimes, up to 30 mph wind. I did loose it when I OVER powered it and the rear wing mount ripped out of the fuse. Most important: "Be safe" and just have fun.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Crash-D

Ever flown an Easy Sport. Great 2nd PLane and boy are they aa blast for any type of flying. 3D capable, can be somewhat speedy, and very trainer like, so trainer like that i trained my dad on one. But it's cheap and a great flying plane for a 2nd.

When i say 3d capable im talking hammer heads, well basically it can do a lot of rudder work and pretty much everything but stand on the prop yet my dads never did let me try it with his.
Yes Razor unfortnately the Pat's probably not good enough till number 3.[&o] O well (lol)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ564&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDTM8&P=7

Kit or ARF your choice. All depends on how lazy you are.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ***Reno***

Wheels in front of the cg or even the wing. Changes the way it lands. Nobody's scared of them, they're just not what you consider a beginners airplane.

Look where the wheels are in relation to the spar in the first pic, then the second.

Hey, whats that red and white thing--I like that
Old 09-30-2006, 12:50 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

freak:

Gonna give you the all out best there is for your second plane, speeds 130-to 150 mph and 3d all rolled in one. Impossible the other guys will say, true I say and will demonstrate with the proper incentive--$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Ok, buy a Hobbico Avi Star. Yessss, thats what I said. Now, build the wing streight, glass the center section, and move the landing gear forward and create tail dragger. Fly the heck out of the thing for a month or so. Now, start moving the CG rearward a little each weekend. You will be able to hover, elevator and most all of the 3d stuff with the CG toward the rear limits. Ready to go fast? Buy a good 2.5 spinner and install along with a Jett stream, or performance pipe for your engilne, a OS, TT, or similar I hope. Prop for around 16,000 rpm, you may get lucky and come up to 17. Fly heck out of it for several weekends. Now, each week, cut a bay off the end of each wing until you have a 40" wing. You should be scaring the rest of the guys at this point. Not getting 150? Ok, now you gotta get a real engine. Go for a Jett 60 LX, if the pocket book won't handle that, a K & B "
Screamer 48, or Webra 55 GT. If you still don't get 150, you will be darn darn close. I can see some of you older guys squirming in your chairs screeming that the speed will outrun our 424 class with OS or TT 46 engines. Yess it will, and turn inside you and give back some change. Go ahead and give me a challange with enough on the line to make a trip worth the time and expence. Or, just be smart and spend a few buck on the plane, cut it down as described and be ready to see the guys around turn green and mumble, can't be, can't be, can't be. You should make enough off bets to pay for the darn thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! True, honest!! Bro # 119 aka "The old man"
Old 09-30-2006, 01:37 AM
Razor-RCU

I have heard that about the Avistar... A few folks preach that-- It's a trainer lookin' thing right?

rmenke is obviously a sharp guy so I guess I will go ahead and believe him... I gotta look up that Avistar thing
Old 09-30-2006, 01:45 AM
TIA

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

Hey, whats that red and white thing--I like that

That's a Giant Scale PoleCat F-1 from RNR.

http://www.rnrproducts.com/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.