Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Patriot .40 Build

Old 11-21-2006, 03:41 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Patriot .40 Build

One question, though. Does anybody know what these partially drilled holes on the underside of the mounting lugs are for?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46364.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	564239  
Old 11-21-2006, 10:23 AM
My Feedback: (19)

tool/fixture locations
Old 12-16-2006, 10:38 PM

I've been watching this post since nearly the start and now that winters here I've decided to re-cover my Patriot and along the way retro retracts in. I love the way you've put yours in, it's beautiful looking. I was wondering though if you've gotten to the fuse yet and how you put the nose retract in. If you could show how with the plans like you did on the wing that'd be great. I got my kit already finished from a club near me that had a member die and so i don't have any plans to go by.

By the way sweet Jett!!
Should be pretty speedy. Still not sure if you could beat that DD though, you have a lot more to pull along.

Thank you
Darion
Old 03-25-2007, 05:18 PM
My Feedback: (8)

ANy update on the build? I saw a guy at our club fly one of these today...got me all worked up to put one in the air myself. Just so happens he has an extra kit that he is willing to sell to me...so...trying to read up on it. Good info here...I plan to do retracts as well and power it with a Jett.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:44 PM

No update???? I have started my Patriot 40 build. Got both wing panels about 70% complete. Waiting on my Spring Air Retracts so I can fit them. I am going to order the Jett SJ .60LX High Performance Engine next week. I will try and post som epics here this weekend. That is...if anyone is interested.

I have been trying to find posts on the fuselage build...but no luck.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:07 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: smokinT

One question, though. Does anybody know what these partially drilled holes on the underside of the mounting lugs are for?

Shhhhhh, those are the secret speed inducer holes, you're not s'posed to tell anyone about them. That's why they're on the underside of the fuse. At rpm's over 12,000 they induce a slight warp in the space time continuum allowing you to slip by the field at sub-warp speeds at less than 1/10000 the power normally required.

Course now we'll have to just haul you away in the spaceship. please be out front of your house at 1:35 tomorrow morning so we can pick you up with the rest of the space debris.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: texasskydiver

the fuze is a pretty simple straight forward build. myself i did NOT go by the book, i built it with the fin not permanently attached till after covering. just tack it in with a spot or two of CA while building, it makes for a much easier time sheeting around it. i sheeted it solid and then trimmed out where the fin went. when you have everything covered with the rudder attached and the linkage connected you can slip the rudder/fin assembly in with some 30 min epoxy with no problems.

kc
Old 04-13-2007, 04:14 PM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: texasskydiver

- omit the fake intakes: unnecessary drag items, they'll just slow the plane down
- try to fit the battery in the tail-cone so you don't have to ad weight to balance
- to get reasonable flight time (with the 60 LX) if using retracts you won't have space upfront so a larger tank near the CG & a small hopper tank upfront OR go bubbleless anywhere you want (you'll find pics of two Jett tanks hookup somewhere in a thread here)
- fit a larger light spinner 2"1/4 or a 2"1/2 (looks better IMO)

other than that go by the book[8D]

good luck!

V.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vasek

- omit the fake intakes: unnecessary drag items, they'll just slow the plane down
- try to fit the battery in the tail-cone so you don't have to ad weight to balance
- to get reasonable flight time (with the 60 LX) if using retracts you won't have space upfront so a larger tank near the CG & a small hopper tank upfront OR go bubbleless anywhere you want (you'll find pics of two Jett tanks hookup somewhere in a thread here)
- fit a larger light spinner 2"1/4 or a 2"1/2 (looks better IMO)

other than that go by the book[8D]

good luck!

V.
if you add triangle stock to the front of the intakes it reduces allot of the drag and retains the 'Patriot Look', they are down right ugly with the intakes omitted, and why on earth would one go to the trouble to reduce drag and want to increase the spinner size??? the 1 3/4" is perfect and looks damn sharp.

kc
Old 04-13-2007, 07:53 PM

I built my Patriot without the fake intakes, and it looks great. I guess it is all a matter of opinion. Remember, if you want to go fast, it is all about frontal area. As for the tail cone, I built a wooden tailcone to look like an afterburner cone, and the battery fit inside it easily. Worked very well for balancing. Hangar 9 makes a square 11 oz fuel tank that is supplied with kits such as the Aresti that fits nicely in the Patriot fuel tank compartment, even with retracts installed. I get a full 6 minutes of flight time at full throttle with this tank feeding a SportJett50 spinning a 9X8 or a 9X9. I agree with keeping the 1.75" spinner. Tru Turn will slot it specially for the high pitch propellers.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:40 PM

THanks for the info guys...keep it coming.

This is my first step into high speed. Plus...it is my first box of sticks build since getting back into the hobby. I figured it would be fun to have something small and fast.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:48 PM
My Feedback: (50)

Sounds like you are doing it right... Where are the pics?
Old 02-14-2008, 12:21 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Anybody finish their plane? How'd they turn out? Any speeds recorded?