Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Patriot XL & Jett 90XL

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Patriot XL & Jett 90XL

Old 11-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Leadfoot-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot XL & Jett 90XL

I have an opportunity to purchase a built Patriot XL, complete with a Jett 90XL, servos and mechanical retracts.

Just wanted to get some input as to how this combination will fly. I have flown the Patriot 40 many times, and it is probably one of my favourite planes. Does the XL have similar flight charateristics?

Not like I need another plane, but oh well..... lol

Thanks,
Steve
Old 11-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Patriot XL & Jett 90XL

I don't own one, but if you can get it a a steal price, I would say don't hesitate.

The plane, and the engine are both top drawer items for sure.

FBD.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:08 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got this plane with a Jett SJ-90L now. The engine is excellent, but the plane is a bit of a porker and needed 1/2 pound of lead in the tail to balance. In my opinion, not one of GP's better efforts. The plastic parts are junk. I built my tailcone and fin fairings out of balsa rather than use the supplied plastic. I left the side pods off altogether. Have since tossed the plastic cowl and now use a Fiberglass Specialties unit. Flies nicely but not particularly fast. I put the flaps on mine and they're fun to screw around with also. Just don't expect a screamer. I'd be interested in how mechanical retracts work without major modification of the main gear location......
Old 11-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Leadfoot-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

The person selling the plane did mention that a new cowl would be required, so apparently he didn't think too much of the plastic one either! And he has left off the side intakes as well, which have always looked dorky on this plane!

I haven't seen the plane in person as of yet, so I can't comment on the mechanical retracts or the installation that was done.

I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it, if it hadn't had the Jett 90XL on the front. He has said that top speed would be in the 130 mph range, does that sound reasonable?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

130 Sounds like a lot...However I have not flown the Bigger patriot. Maybe Bob will answer---
Old 11-02-2006, 09:51 AM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

130 Sounds like a lot...However I have not flown the Bigger patriot. Maybe Bob will answer---
I think 130 would be the top you would see. This is a big plane with a lot of wing area. Have never had a gun on mine, but it's not scary fast, that's for sure.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:28 PM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

With the 91Fx it flies about the speed of a fast trainer.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:07 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: Leadfoot-RCU

The person selling the plane did mention that a new cowl would be required, so apparently he didn't think too much of the plastic one either! And he has left off the side intakes as well, which have always looked dorky on this plane!

I haven't seen the plane in person as of yet, so I can't comment on the mechanical retracts or the installation that was done.

I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it, if it hadn't had the Jett 90XL on the front. He has said that top speed would be in the 130 mph range, does that sound reasonable?

Thanks
Yeah, thats not unreasonable - the Jett 90LX can really haul the beast. If it is trimmed and set up properly.

Here is an example of that combination
http://www.jettengineering.com/hall/je-patxl.html

Bob
Old 11-07-2006, 12:33 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Mine has OS91fx, not that fast. Will see how it goes with Jettstream muffler trial. Mine has Springair set up which works well. I'm not a fan of mechanical retracts. Flying characteristics not as predictable and smooth as the Kangke F20 or my Cermark F16. This bird does land a bit hot without flaps.