Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

kyosho Kelly F-1

Old 03-25-2007, 09:01 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: kyosho Kelly F-1

ORIGINAL: Always flying

WoW!!! that 42% is a thing of beauty!!

How was the elevater push rod to install?..a peice of cake!..LOL i never had good luck with them!..i think i'm going to go with the o.s 55ax for my big block hope all turns out! just finnishing up another project and will soon follow with the f-1 kelly! i'll be keeping a close i on this thread keep the pics comming!!

cheers! from Canada!!

mannyh

mannyh yes the 42% is a real beauty and top speed with the Gt80 is around 165mph.
In fact my kelly was kitted and built by Diego Lopez who is the owner of the molds that the Kyosho70 scaled from.

The elev controls were tricky. I used some nyrod(2 pcs) and fed them thru the holes I cut in the fuse tail on either side. Once I had them up in the servo area I threaded the metal ends off the actual control rod then pulled them back thru so it would easily come out the cut holes in the rear of the fuse.

I went to Jetts web site and got the specs of the 60lx so I could keep going on the engine. Seems not only are the mounting holes the same as a OS46, but also the OS50. So I got the engine mounts installed to the bulkhead using the supplied blind nuts(another pain to do).
Kyosho doesnt include a 2 1/2" spinner for this model which is fine cause it probably wouldve been a cheap plastic one and seeing as though I am using a high RPM Jett60 , I would need a good tru-turn anyways.

I wish they wouldve done the elev set up different, but it will hold well enough. They put a bulkhead right before the area where the control rods exit the tail, making it very tricky to do right.

I first saw this plane at the Giant Scale Races in Parker, Az last oct. It was brought over from Japan by some media reps for Team Extra as a Demo model. As soon as I saw it I decided I needed it as well.

Once i get my engine I will be flying a day later.
Come on Jett Engineering. I am looking for speeds around 90-110 mph- what ya think Bob is that close?????
Old 03-26-2007, 10:46 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

nice

what I am leaning toward on the engine installation .... is side mounting the engine, actually closer to 100deg rather than 90 deg, and running the muffler under the fuselage (at least for the 60LX). The engine is pretty far forward, cowl is deep - should be close to fitting. May require some type of angled extension. Still working on it. Concerned about engine cooling too. At least there are no holes in the cowl to start with - makes tayloring airflow a bit easier.

Im not 100% sure I like the engine mount though ..... with the engine mounted that far forward, its going to shake on the plastic mounts. Looking into alternatives.

Another option for engine installation is mounting inverted. Also side mounted using a Turbo-Jett.

I wish this plane came with a clear "practice and setup" cowl like some other ARFs come with. Those are so VERY useful.

A bit more work to do ..... weekend was sorta busy.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:03 AM
MFLOOD3800

Bob,
I figured the engine needs to be about 1/8" - 1/4" from the front of the mount. So I decided I might just add some 1/2" spacers to the bulkhead behind the mounts to allow me to move the engine back and still clear the cowl opening. This will then keep engine back about 3/4" into the mount and supply better rigidity.
A better and bigger eng mount is also an option.

I have already mounted the mounts but havent drilled them for the engine yet cause I didnt like how far forward it needed to be. I will make some stand offs today and be ready to final fit it when engine arrives

If you invert the engine will the air scoop design underneath be butchered up or will the in cowl allow enough clearance to avoid this".

On my 42% I use the air scoop for actual air flow to the back of the carb. It could be used w/flex hose as actual cooling for engine compartment as well.
The supplied cowl is lacking the actual scale side scoops we use to cool the dual headed GT80. These could be added as well w/minimum of time or effort using a coke plastic bottle inside.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:09 AM
bob27s

idunno on the cowl yet. Its going to have to be cut in some fashion.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Spuetz

MFLood3800,
have you sorted out your engine decision? I am about to buy the Kelly - almost did already. I am toing and froing.. But like you I don't want to put a 4-stroke in it. I love 4 strokes (see my avatar) and normally would always go for one. Exept for this plane. It just needs a 2-stroke. I want that sound when it races by...

soooo, what's it going to be? Do you have pictures yet? Flown it yet? Does the Jett SJ-60LXfit with the muffler? I looks like the muffler would not fit...

Cheers, Martin
Old 04-27-2007, 07:12 PM
MFLOOD3800

I decided on an OS 50, cause that is what I had laying around. They call this a 70 size plane, but a 40 size engine will pull it at about 75-85 MPH. There is not an engine or in cowl muffler system yet invented that will fit inside w/o a lot of cutting. For sure a four stroke muffler would be best as you could simply use the exhaust header to clear the cowl. The OS and probably any other 2 stroke will require severe butchering at the exhaust and carb areas. I say carb area cause with the OS 50 up front and I mean as far front as you can get it, I still had to add a ton of weight in 2 seperate areas to get it to balance to the far aft measurement of the CG specs. (maiden was a thrill !!!!!).
Even the air scoop had to be cut on one side just to clear the muffler(a pitts style wouldnt work).
half the cheek was fremoved for the head, and a lot of front area for the carb.
It looks pretty good from the other side.
I bet an OS 90 2 stroke would just about balance this right on. I see Tower is coming out with a 70 or so size in a month or two, and it would probably be the right choice. Then engine bulkhead looks OK for that size or smaller, but if Bob gets the 60lx in it, he might want to add some wood in behind as it is void of any.

As far as the flight goes here is what I experienced:

It flies a lot like my 42% as far as the visual and perspectice out line and recognizing top and bottom contours. I am used to seeing this style of plane so it wasnt a major problem, I did hear a couple elderly flyers make the comment as it went by downwind at about 95 MPH- "is it upright or inverted, I dont know I cant tell".

Take off was fun, I discovered I was still way too far back on CG and it went vertical until I trimmed it to its maximum end point. I had the elev neutral but with too much weight to rear it climbed, and I knew it would be a fun landing when the time came.( I set my 42% racer up with the CG too far back and couldnt land it w/o ballooning it and dropping it like a rock ).
In flight was good, snapped on sharp turns with elev in put(pylon style turning), but that was to be expected with the CG way back.
It is fast even with just a OS 50 (25-30 tanks thru it). Dont let anyone say they arent fast planes this one was.

The landing had me on my toes as I tried to make a slow fly by to check out its characteristics on approach
but discovered my EPA on throttle wasnt set right and it was coming in very hot, too hot for our 600' field, so I had to get into my sub menu programs while circling overhead and set the low idle down. With that done, I came in low and slow again and it ballooned as I expected, so I went around and let it land itself and settle in on its own, which it did and touched down and stuck like glue. No kidding, one guy said- " that thing sure stays down when it touches".
All in all, with the Cg right, it would be a good pylon racer. As far as aerobatic as advertised- DONT THINK SO!!!. Definately not a trainer or first low wing plane or scale bird for sure. Compare it to a P51 for the most part.
The build was a chore in many areas, I added a pilot and instrument panel cause it is a scale plane.

Pros:
great paint (even though I wouldve liked all white) fuse was top notch f/glass kitted.
wing also excellent in structure, though not built for 130 MPH pylon turns.
hardware was standard
wheel pants look real nice and we will see how they hold up to my type of landings

Cons:
didnt care for the pull pull rudder night mare trying to feed it thru all the bulk heads
cowl too small for any engine- ruins a scale type look
Cg nearly impossible to achieve with recommended engine sizes.

All in all I give it a 7.5 out of 10 for total satisfaction, although it is a real eye catcher since most fliers have never seen anything like it.
A 10 out of 10 in cosmetic appeal (except for cowl area)
A little pricey for what you can do with it once it is done, but I just had to have it.
Pics will follow shortly
Race101
Old 04-27-2007, 07:41 PM
MFLOOD3800

Here are some pics from My Kelly after first flight. I have also included some pics of my 42% er side by side for scale comparison. I currently have the wheel pants off the big one cause I am practicing on a dry lake bed near by and dont want to ruin them.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51607.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	673539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66236.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	673540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85296.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	673541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv62144.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	673542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ht98089.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	673543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw28254.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	673544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ya57087.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	673545  
Old 04-27-2007, 07:55 PM
MFLOOD3800

Ya like the decals Dan??
TEAMERICA is all over the web!!!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:03 PM
TEAMERICA
My Feedback: (77)

Looks nice, Marty. Doesn't look like the cowl is too hacked up. Though I can't see the bottom.
It does look like the cheek cowls on the little one are even larger (in proportion) than the 42%er. It looks like they are wide enough (top to bottom) for the cylinder, jut not far enough forward like some of the Giant Scale Racers. I guess they didn't care when they designed it for a 4-stroke and the carb is in the rear.

Nice write-up!

If you like the OS .50, you might like the Magnum .52 XLS that I just put in my P-51.

Name:	Ig13056.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	673598  
Old 04-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Dang, I never knew there was already a GS Kelly F-1. [X(]
Old 04-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Trollmaster

What company produces the larger Kelly's?
Old 04-27-2007, 08:37 PM
MFLOOD3800

Team Extra out of California sells them in short kit form or RTF you choose. Racing season is here in June so they are probably busy but check them and other distributors out as USRA web page:
http://www.usrainfo.org/

There are many more planes as well.
Be very cautious- it is extremely addictive.

Costs for a RTF plane will be around $5000
Old 04-28-2007, 10:07 PM
MarkF

Well I flew my electric Kelly today and everything went great. After reading mflood3800 post I made sure to ballance at the leading edge of cg. The first flight went off without a hitch. I needed a bit of up trim so maybe I can move some weight back a little. I am using a Neu 1515 1.5y motor with a 5.2 gearbox, 10s 3850 TP extremes bats and an apc 14 X 12 prop. I neede to get all my equipment up front to get it to ballance so dont be afraid to put a 90 in this plane. I havnt tacked it yet but motocalc says over 10,000. The plane really groves nice and is very predictable. I would guess speeds at between a 100 to 120 mph but Im not done with props yet. I got a 12 X 14, 14 X 13 and a 14 X 14 still to try. I havnt pushed it in the turns yet but will do so slowly. I came in hot on landing and was glad to see this thing stick to the ground so well. You were right mflood3800. There was a guy at my field who got the whole flight on his sony HD video camera so I will see if I can get him to post it. Also I did a single link on the rudder but did the elevators like they say too. Im not crazy about that, I think thats the weak link on the plane but will proceed cautiously. I think this plane is a great plane for what it is and I am very happy with it.

Mark
Old 04-28-2007, 10:18 PM
MFLOOD3800

Mark,
Elec would be the way to go and not cut the cowl up all the way. I'd like to see some pics if you can.
I agree as I said earlier a 90 would balance this thing right out nicely.
I got 3 more flights in on it today and spent the flights trying to get it dialed in for pylon style turning.

I had to stay under 34% on the elev EPA or it would snap badly at full pull, even at 34% I have to play with the ail a little in the mix. But my CG is not set good at all. In fact I cheated on the balancing and went out 3" from fuse sides where I took my recommended readings. If I were to go at fuse sides I would be beyond the limit for sure.
Again as I landed it, she sure sticks to the ground like glue. It will fly better once I talk myself into adding more nose weight, I just hate adding dead weight on a race style plane, I just cant get myself to do that yet.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:48 PM
MarkF

I did take some pics but the file is to big. I will take some more tomorrow with my camera turned down. Oh and my cowl has no cuts in it. I bet my cg is in front of were they recommend. Your going to have to bite the bullet and add MORE LEAD. I needed an 1/8 of up to fly level but it had no bad habits there so I will stay close to that for now. I found no bad tendences at all were my cg is. I will fly it again tomarrow and try some things out.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:12 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Mark, just resize your existing pics down, using the software that came with your camera. Or any photo software if you have it. Resize them to 1080x810 or smaller (640x480) and they upload nicely. Also be sure your DPI is at 72, that is all the internet will be able to use. Any larger is a waste of your file space.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:45 PM
MarkF

I flew the Kelly again today. I tried an apc 13 X13 gas prop and the performance wasnt as good as my 14 X 12 electrtic prop.It tacked out at 9200 on the ground. I put the plane on course and did some bank and yank and I got to say this is one of the better pylon turning planes I have ever flown. It knife edges pretty good too. With the cg at 60mm it needs very little up elevator when inverted so I would ballance your plane there for starters. I got some pics for you too.

Mark

Name:	Bw72816.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	674875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99367.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	674876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13993.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	674877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48064.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	674878  
Old 04-29-2007, 08:54 PM
MFLOOD3800

Nice pics Mark.

This plane is meant to turn fast and it will with CG set correctly. I on my 42% have dual rates set up, one for take offs and landings(High rates) and one for racing (lower rates). Not much elev needed for turning. I am going out tomorrow to fly the Giant and have moved my Cg back 3" for better turning.
I did do some knife edges with my 70 size and it tracks real straight. I also did some rolling circles but found I needed more elev to keep it level.
Did you drill out the air scoop to cool motor/bttys?

Where are those wheel pants? It looks like my big one w/o them in the pics I posted.
How much in btty and motor and ESC?
Old 04-30-2007, 12:05 AM
MarkF

Yes, I drilled out the scoop. If you saw my field I fly at you wouldn't wonder were the wheel pants are. I will put them on when I go to a different field. As far as the equipment goes I used what I had on hand. Maybe $800. worth of stuff. If I were to start over I would probably go with an out runner on a 6s batt. I think I could come up with one that would do 100 mph and cost half of that or so. Electrics are never cheaper. Just faster.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:51 AM
bob27s

Thanks for the report......

Im pleased you liked the airplane. Ive been pretty impressed so far. Noted basically the same things you have.

So far I am going to settle on an engine installation similar to what you have there for the OS 50, and let the muffler dangle out.

I have to cut up a "toni" extension for the muffler, get a bit more down angle on it.

Based on your CG info, I think I will switch the engine mount to an aluminum mount - the older version I have weighs more.

And that also gives me a reason to try fitting the SJ-90L up front too

My only real grip here, is this kit REALLY should include one of the see-thru setup cowls like many of the ARFs supply these days. It would make the cowl adventure a whole bunch less messy.

Bob
Old 04-30-2007, 10:06 AM
MFLOOD3800

Bob,
I had a Jett90 bse here I was going to put in it. I had already cut the cowl and engine mount for the OS50 and discovered it was not heavy enough, plenty of power for 100 MPH +, just very light.

I laid the 90 up there and discovered I would have to cut the cowl even more because needle valve and muffler and carb locations varied from the OS.
This plane should be able to handle the 90. It weighs just a little more than the OS50 (not incl mufflers.)
In fact If you could add shims to the muffler to get it to clear and then use the Toni angled shim it might even be a cleaner fit than the OS. I think I was using a 10x6 on mine with all those shims I used on my Dago Red from World Models.
Take a look (I'm sure you have already) inside firewall area and note the lack of any reinforcement-it is straight wood former to f/glass fuse. Adding stock here for the 90 is a must. The wings dont look like they could handle a lot of repetitious turns under heavy loads. Maybe the 90 might push it to the limit there. Adding a glass section to center or even glassing entire wing would be the best overall solution for LONG term turning.
I had a Jett 90 in my World Models Dago Red and it lasted over 100 flights of pylon turning.
But their wing and engine areas were more structurally fit.

If I can get a new cowl I will drop in my Jett90 BSE and look up a radar gun and see what the top speeds will be. Maybe I will look up Mark and see if glow can out run electric power!!!

The 90 should push it to 125-135 for sure. Problem is it might push it too hard and fold in the corners.
Get r done Bob and let us know. I will check on a new cowl and wait for your report.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:11 AM
bob27s

Yeah, that was my concern too...... the wings look strong enough ---- but without looking inside, there is no sure way to be sure.... and Im not anxious to look inside

My goal with the build was to do a decent 2c installation for the recommended engine size --- such as you have. I will stick with that.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:09 PM
JPHen
My Feedback: (33)

Mark, what is your weight? I have a heavier Actro 24-3 that may assist in balancing (12 oz motor). Also - how are you accessing your batteries, you pulling the wing? And lastly, what servos are you using? I have this plane and have been thinking of selling it, but may hold off. Thanks.

Joe

ORIGINAL: MarkF

Yes, I drilled out the scoop. If you saw my field I fly at you wouldn't wonder were the wheel pants are. I will put them on when I go to a different field. As far as the equipment goes I used what I had on hand. Maybe $800. worth of stuff. If I were to start over I would probably go with an out runner on a 6s batt. I think I could come up with one that would do 100 mph and cost half of that or so. Electrics are never cheaper. Just faster.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:07 PM
MarkF

Joe, my auw is 7 1/2 pounds. I dont think your motor is much heavier than mine. My batteries are mounted inside on a battery tray. They are as far forward as possible. Up against the firewall. Im using hitec HS225mg on everything. I think your motor will fly this plane fine. If you do the conversion I think you will be happy with how the plane fly's.
Mark
Old 05-03-2007, 10:32 PM
MFLOOD3800

Ok I decided to change the engine up front to avoid having to add dead weight. The old OS 50 has been replaced with a new OS 61 2 stroke. I was able to take all the weight out of the front. I still have a few OZ's under wing front attach area.
There was no extra cutting except the new needle placement- thats it.
I balanced it right in the middle of the scale.
The Os 61 or maybe one of Dubbs 60-61lx would be the cats meow.
Will try it again after this storm blows thru. Should be a screamer now and a real pleasure to fly.

Stay light , fly low, go fast, turn left enjoy the ride.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.