Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Why a Delta?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:25 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why a Delta?

Dumb***** question - what is it about deltas that makes people so wild about them? Compared to say, a Q500 as a speed plane?

Note, I have no experience with a delta, I have an outlaw build in line, but haven't got to it yet. Just wondering what all the fuss is about.

Mark
Old 03-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Red B.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why a Delta?

There is no significant advantage of using a delta wing configuration at model aircraft speeds. On the contrary, because we need to turn the aircraft around all the time to keep it within sight the high induced drag of a delta wing planform is a distinct disadvantage.

/Red B.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Details 4 Scale
My Feedback: (3)

I think most guys just like the simplicity of the Deltas. True, other aircraft can be faster, but they usually will have less wing area, landing gear (sometimes) and more control surfaces; thus making them more complex to build and finish. Take the new Oakdale Phenom for example. 3 servos, 2 control surfaces and that's it. No gear, no rudders, just throttle and elevons. It's fully molded and can be ready for paint in just a few hours. There are other ARF Deltas out there too, pre-finished, but they really seem lack the extreme high speed envelope. Also, the Phenom and other Deltas are one piece airframes with no separate wing to attach. Deltas are just plain fun to fly without a bunch of complexity. I have owned and flown a few Deltas and I'm currently finishing a Phenom. I just really like the Delta platform...Just my .02cents
Old 03-05-2007, 01:14 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mmattockx

Dumb***** question - what is it about deltas that makes people so wild about them? Compared to say, a Q500 as a speed plane?

Note, I have no experience with a delta, I have an outlaw build in line, but haven't got to it yet. Just wondering what all the fuss is about.

Mark
I think it is because they are simple airframes to build and setup, they look badass, and are something different than the normal fare. They have some good handling traits too. I think most delta owners are realistic and know about the high drag in turns but don't care, they accept that for the fact that you can pull full elevator at speed and they just turn anyway without tip-stalling, albeit while slowing down a lot. Oh yeah, the high roll rate is fun too. I believe some delta owners think they are the fastest thing out there, and it is risky to argue with them about that - those that like something tend to passionately defend the ilk against the detractors. Best just to let them fly 'em, then you can blow by them in turns with a Q500 with the same engine and let them decide for themselves.. [>:]

I like 'em, I have two, but I understand that conventional planforms are better for all out speed and maintaining speed through turns.

MJD
Old 03-05-2007, 09:14 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It is so much easier to have fun if your investment in the plane isn't too deep. To a millionaire, or to someone who doesn't care what his retirement portfolio looks like when the day comes, I recommend running ARF Q40s. For the rest of us in lower class America, deltas are lots of fun, they go fast enough to be dangerous and you can scratch build 12 of them for the cost of one Q40.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Cuz they are cool! I do not need to turn quickly....Not everyone is a crazy German speed-freak!
Old 03-05-2007, 11:23 PM
WJM

Well said Razor.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:00 AM
ChuckL
My Feedback: (2)

Small, fast, roll like a bullet and a blast to fly.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:34 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

....they look cool, and are fun to fly....

....what's not to like !!!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:35 AM
mmattockx

Thanks for the enlightenment, gentlemen.

I wasn't after the physical differences between them and a Q500, more the intangible things that make some people love them and I think you guys answered that very well. I guess I will find out for myself when I finally get to building my Outlaw...

Mark
Old 03-06-2007, 09:48 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

It is so much easier to have fun if your investment in the plane isn't too deep.
You nailed it there. Investment comes in two parts, money and time. We probably all imagine how cool it would be to win Powerball [or in my case Lotto 6/49, har har we don't pay tax on lottery winnings] and buy fourteen of everything and just go out there and beat hell out of them without fear of costly and time-consuming damage. Mind you, I bet some of the fun would diminish if it was too easy. A bit of pucker factor is good for the adrenalin level I think. Kind of like how boring it would be living with a dozen Playboy bunnies after a while. Well, maybe that's not the best analogy...
Old 03-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Ed_Moorman

Oh good heavens! A quickie racer is a Stick with a thin wing and a V tail. No pizzaz at all. A delta has style, charisma, it's different from the crowd, it's fun.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:32 PM
MMallory

Deltas look fast and more jet like. Even in cars, people tend to go more for look than what actually works for high speed.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Oh yeah, my Delta(s" are VERY strong and injury resistant. A MUST for my flying "style"

The Whip is Composite and the Phenom is Fiberglass. Easy to repair...
Old 03-07-2007, 03:20 PM
daven

I'd much rather fix a wood and foam plane over fiberglass composite!
Old 03-09-2007, 10:14 PM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

I got my wildwiz 40 going again today after being mothballed for 2 years. I enjoyed the heck out of it!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45092.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	638886  
Old 03-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mmattockx

Thanks for the enlightenment, gentlemen.

I wasn't after the physical differences between them and a Q500, more the intangible things that make some people love them and I think you guys answered that very well. I guess I will find out for myself when I finally get to building my Outlaw...

Mark
Mark,

when you build and fly your Outlaw they will have to pry it from your cold dead fingers.

Pete
Old 03-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

TWO WORDS: ROLL RATE

On my Whiplash ~ Jett FIRE .50 on The Extreme High rate using 90% expo, just to have a margin of safety, it was a blurr...over 5 rolls per second!

Dive down to the runway for a ballistic pass and at mid field pull up into a 45 degree climb pull in high rate and shove the stick all the way over. After 3 seconds center the stick and level the wing with the fins up.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Julian537
My Feedback: (9)

Crazy

What does it do when you push the stick all the way forward?
I am thinking it tumbles, but I want to be ready for anything?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:44 PM
FlyingGreg
My Feedback: (4)

John Wells--I have a Wild Wiz also. Norvel 25 with mouse can. Still using 9x4 prop, but can probably get more with a better prop. On gun I was hitting 100-102mph. Not blistering like DD but fun to fly. Picture was in Ed Moormans column in RC Reports a few months ago. Caption incorrectly refered to it as the .15 sized Wiz. Spectacular roll rate--looks like a drill and you can actuall hear it "purr" during a roll sequence--I say sequence because it's impossible to do a single quick roll.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93078.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	658273