Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

have engine, need plane

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

have engine, need plane

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 10:47 PM
acam37
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have engine, need plane

I just picked this little engine up at a swap meet and it looks like it might be a good candidate for a go fast plane. It's a K&B 3.5 rear exhaust w/tuned pipe. It came with a perry carb and also the one in the pic. I was thinking of a diamond dust, but it may be too small. are there any speed planes that will accomodate a rear exhaust other than a delta wing?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72969.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	639632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37384.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	639633  
Old 03-10-2007, 11:44 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: have engine, need plane

acam

Nice little engine. One of my all time favorites is a 35 sport jett engine that just keeps on ticking now going into its fifth season. Turns 19.6k and idles as well ans anything. Ok, lets first find out what you got here. Get her on a stand with a tack and see what you have got. If it does not turn at least 17k with a 9-6, its a good fishing weight IMHO. That being said, there is a local hopped up K & B screamer 48 that turns around 19k by ear, and is is outrunning my sports jett 50L. Owner will not let me near it with a tack!!! Some are junk, some are outstanding is what I am trying to say in a round about way. If it turns around 16k, pop it on a 25 size shrike, add a 25 size apc pylon prop, and it will scoot just fine and be a blast to fly and show off to the guys. ENJOY
Old 03-11-2007, 06:26 AM
acam37

Thanks for the input. It only cost me $50. I figured it will get at least that much on E-Bay if I don't use it. From what I've read, this is an outboard boat motor or can be converted to a ducted fan. I will put it on a tach and see what it turns with the venturi and also the perry carb. It needs a bladder fuel tank though.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:17 AM
[email protected]

Sig Doubler II is a good little plane for your engine.

Good flying 1/4 midget racer.

There not produced these days but you can sometimes find them on Ebay.

Mike
Old 03-11-2007, 11:22 PM
vintageflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Wow rear exhaust planes, where can I start? Back in the 80s. Rear exhaust engines dominated the F3A contest. Planes like the Deception, Magic, Curare, Blue Angel, the list goes on and on.
These were sweet looking planes that were designed to handle well and just go fr*%kn fast!
These planes were mainly 60 size, but there are 20 and 40 sizes as well.
Look into the classic pattern forums. Really sick stuff there.
Here's the business end of a MK Skymaster 20, OS rear exhaust with a Hatori header and retractable nose wheel. Remember this is a "20" size plane!

DM
ORIGINAL: acam37

I just picked this little engine up at a swap meet and it looks like it might be a good candidate for a go fast plane. It's a K&B 3.5 rear exhaust w/tuned pipe. It came with a perry carb and also the one in the pic. I was thinking of a diamond dust, but it may be too small. are there any speed planes that will accomodate a rear exhaust other than a delta wing?

Name:	Wt59111.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	640582   Click image for larger version

Name:	So43060.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	640583  
Old 03-11-2007, 11:25 PM
vintageflyer

OH MY GOD!! [X(]
Sorry guys. I have no Idea why this pix came out this big!
I used them on a build thread and they were fine.

Sorry about that. []

DM
Old 03-11-2007, 11:35 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vintageflyer

OH MY GOD!! [X(]
Sorry guys. I have no Idea why this pix came out this big!
I used them on a build thread and they were fine.

Sorry about that. []

DM
Hey DM,

That's OK. I didn't get the fine detail on your Skymaster thread, but it came though nicely in this one...

Mark
Old 03-12-2007, 08:38 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

The K&B 3.5 was a fun little engine - and perhaps the most powerful .21 size engine back in its day. Lots were flown for sport use, FF, CL, and it found a real nitch in the Kress ducted fan applications. Also became very well known as a car engine. And as noted, this was also the engine that was used in the .21 outboard. You could run it with a pipe, and K&B offered a bolt-on can muffler for it with dual outlets - was kinda funky looking, and it worked well. I believe the original aero version did indeed come with a Perry carb.

I went looking on the MECOA web site, and oddly enough, they do not have much of any documentation for the original 3.5 aero version.

In any case ...... the engine runs well. Put it on the bench for a while, get use to how it runs, and try a few props. Id suggest starting with an 8x6 and working around from there.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:19 AM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: acam37

Have a look at the Lil' Streak, labeled as the "LS" on this page. It would haul with your engine and looks like an easy build.

http://www.ulmer-rc.com/dotnetnuke/D...aspx?tabid=102

Mark
Old 03-12-2007, 10:24 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rmenke

acam

Nice little engine. One of my all time favorites is a 35 sport jett engine that just keeps on ticking now going into its fifth season. Turns 19.6k and idles as well ans anything. Ok, lets first find out what you got here. Get her on a stand with a tack and see what you have got. If it does not turn at least 17k with a 9-6, its a good fishing weight IMHO.
17k on a .21 with a 9-6.....? I didn't know these could do that.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: bob27s

The K&B 3.5 was a fun little engine - and perhaps the most powerful .21 size engine back in its day. Lots were flown for sport use, FF, CL, and it found a real nitch in the Kress ducted fan applications. Also became very well known as a car engine. And as noted, this was also the engine that was used in the .21 outboard. You could run it with a pipe, and K&B offered a bolt-on can muffler for it with dual outlets - was kinda funky looking, and it worked well. I believe the original aero version did indeed come with a Perry carb.

I went looking on the MECOA web site, and oddly enough, they do not have much of any documentation for the original 3.5 aero version.

In any case ...... the engine runs well. Put it on the bench for a while, get use to how it runs, and try a few props. Id suggest starting with an 8x6 and working around from there.
Bob is an Encyclopedia of engine knowledge. Bob- Do you have a K&B 7.5CC fire layin around?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:21 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: MJD

17k on a .21 with a 9-6.....? I didn't know these could do that.
a member of our club has a diamond dust with a .21 Rossi w/ short pipe and it turns a 7.5x9 @ 28K when it stages on the pipe. it's an instantaneous jump from 15K to 25K and then as the pipe warms it gains the other 3K, it's as much fun to stick the tach on it as it is to fly it. the 21 doesn't have the best authority for hand launching (it drops about 4' when launched before lifting) but it moves once on step in the air.

kc
Old 03-12-2007, 08:30 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A Nelson 40 Q40 racing engine wouldn't turn that size prop those rpm's.
I doubt a .21 would either.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:04 PM
I-Love-Jets

ORIGINAL: KC36330

a member of our club has a diamond dust with a .21 Rossi w/ short pipe and it turns a 7.5x9 @ 28K when it stages on the pipe. it's an instantaneous jump from 15K to 25K and then as the pipe warms it gains the other 3K, it's as much fun to stick the tach on it as it is to fly it. the 21 doesn't have the best authority for hand launching (it drops about 4' when launched before lifting) but it moves once on step in the air.

kc
Maybe another exaggeration to be found here...

JFYI
The actual Novarossi .21 LS, used (both stock and highly modified) for the annual Speed Cup contest with purpose built speed planes, turns hand made 5x6 to 5.5x6 carbon props at about 27000 statically and about 32000 rpm unloaded. Fastest speed so far recorded was about 180 mph through a FAI conform speed trap (averaged speed of course). There still seems to be more speed potential...

Old 03-13-2007, 07:43 AM
acam37

I see some of you guys are interested in how many RPM's this engine will turn. As soon as I get back from my spring break vacation I will put it on the test stand and see just what it will do. I have never done a bladder fuel tank before so I need to get the stuff together to make one. A combat guy at our field said he will help me. I do have a good selection of different size speed props to try out. I will post the results.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:28 AM
bob27s

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

Bob is an Encyclopedia of engine knowledge. Bob- Do you have a K&B 7.5CC fire layin around?
No, not any longer. Last one I had was in a Kress RK740 fan, and I sold that about 5 years ago.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:51 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Bob...did you see the K&B .21 question in the glow engines forum?
There's a guy asking about wrist pin orientation...I told him that if it's like the 6.5 and 7.5 the teflon wear button goes toward the front...180* away from the exh. port...that is correct, isn't it? (I have 6.5's and a 7.5 but no 3.5's)
Old 03-13-2007, 10:52 AM
SSGSPEEDMAN

acam

Nice little engine. One of my all time favorites is a 35 sport jett engine that just keeps on ticking now going into its fifth season. Turns 19.6k and idles as well ans anything. Ok, lets first find out what you got here. Get her on a stand with a tack and see what you have got. If it does not turn at least 17k with a 9-6, its a good fishing weight IMHO. That being said, there is a local hopped up K & B screamer 48 that turns around 19k by ear, and is is outrunning my sports jett 50L. Owner will not let me near it with a tack!!! Some are junk, some are outstanding is what I am trying to say in a round about way. If it turns around 16k, pop it on a 25 size shrike, add a 25 size apc pylon prop, and it will scoot just fine and be a blast to fly and show off to the guys. ENJOY
Hi I had a question on the K7B .48. What prop is that guy using to out run the Jett.50?

Kevin

Old 03-13-2007, 10:53 AM
SSGSPEEDMAN

acam

Hi I had a question on the K&B .48. What prop is that guy using to out run the Jett.50?

Kevin

Old 03-13-2007, 11:40 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: SSGSPEEDMAN

Hi I had a question on the K7B .48. What prop is that guy using to out run the Jett.50?

Kevin
A 7-6 I think...
Old 03-13-2007, 12:13 PM
bob27s

ORIGINAL: proptop

Bob...did you see the K&B .21 question in the glow engines forum?
There's a guy asking about wrist pin orientation...I told him that if it's like the 6.5 and 7.5 the teflon wear button goes toward the front...180* away from the exh. port...that is correct, isn't it? (I have 6.5's and a 7.5 but no 3.5's)
I don't recall... but clearly you couldnt use a teflon insert facing the port.

What locks in the aft side ? a clip? or a step ?
Old 03-13-2007, 12:30 PM
SSGSPEEDMAN

ORIGINAL: MJD

ORIGINAL: SSGSPEEDMAN

Kevin
A 7-6 I think...
lol....I wouldn't want to be around him when he starts that engine up. I have an APC 7-6w and a K&B .48 and thats sounds like that props not gonna last very long. Is he using the sport tuned muffler that came with the engine or a performance spec. pipe?

Kevin

Old 03-13-2007, 02:07 PM
proptop

Bob...the piston has a blind hole for the pin, and both the I. and E. ports have a bridge, so theoretically the pad could rub on either one, but all my 6.5's and the 7.5 have the pin facing the dual bridged I ports...and that's what I told him...

He was talking about lubrication, and other things...but I don't think it faces the E. port.

Here's the thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5543699/tm.htm
Old 04-29-2007, 11:04 AM
acam37

I think I found a plane for my motor. This is a scratch built mini-DD. Wingspan 28", chord 17". AUW w/fuel is 1lb. 15oz. I am starting with a 7X6 prop and NORVEL 25% nitro/18% oil fuel. I may have a problem with foaming. The tank is only 2 oz. This is all I could squeeze into the plane w/out foam around the tank. This will give me about 3 min. of full throttle runs. I will maiden it today, and one of two things will happen. It's either going to be real fast or make a spectacular crash. If this one does not fly well, I still have an original DD framed up and ready to cover. Then I will Have plane, Need engine.

Name:	Sq47829.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	674575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13826.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	674576  
Old 04-29-2007, 11:39 AM
proptop

Looks good![8D] Bet it'll fly real nice...let us know how it turns out, aye!?