Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Patriot xl and C.G centering

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Patriot xl and C.G centering

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:59 PM
le fou
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot xl and C.G centering

Hello,

I would like to know how you center your patriot xl? Do you have the retracts up or down? Are you filling up the tank or you leave it empty? I read that the patriot xl is "jumpy" on take off - any C.G reference I should dial it to or just follow the instruction manual?

Thanks a lot,

Le fou
Old 04-09-2007, 12:58 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Patriot xl and C.G centering

tank empty, gear down. CG rangs is going to only be a factor determined by you and your flying style, the MFG suggestion is a pretty good starting place for the first flight.

kc
Old 04-11-2007, 02:01 PM
stnick
My Feedback: (2)

I agree with KC regarding the fuel tank being empty, but why set the CG with the gear down? I have several planes with retracts and they are always balanced like they fly, with the gear up. What's unique with the patriot?
Nick
Old 04-11-2007, 02:05 PM
KC36330

ALL aircraft including full scale balance with gear extended, if you choose not to do it that way that's fine in your applications, but the correct procedure is with gear down.

kc
Old 04-11-2007, 05:02 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

I typically balance models in their most tailheavy configuration. Since the gear extend toward the nose on the Patriot XL, I chose initially to balance it with the tank empty and the gear up. On takeoff, it felt very noseheavy and did not want to rotate. Did not work out in this case. Rebalanced with the gear down and it was much better on takeoff. Just another opinion; your mileage may vary.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:33 PM
le fou
My Feedback: (12)

Hello everybody,

Thank you for all your replies. I like the idea of balancing a model in its tailheavy configuration.

Thanks,

Le fou