Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

KMP Flycat

Old 09-30-2007, 06:55 AM
CrashPro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP Flycat

hehe....yea.....manual was a joke....
Were you able to find a retract that worked for the nose gear?
Old 09-30-2007, 02:12 PM
willy110

Interesting you aked that - The boys at KMP asked the same thing, to let them know if I find any retracts that work.
I'm following your suggestions for mods to the flycat. Good ideas. Didn't turn the tank around, instead made U-tupe for the Klunk line.
I'm going with fixed landing gear. That in it self was and interesting build. Still needed a rudder servo for the steering.
I built a small access panel to cover the open area in front of the nose gear.
I fly from a grass field, it's been rolled at lot. Putting on larger wheels than was supplied.

How did the aileron differential work out?
Old 10-12-2007, 12:06 AM
jimweda

ORIGINAL: CrashPro

Hi guys

Well,...Serge bought one of these planes,...but he's busy with other projects right now, so he gave it to me. Thanks Serge. I picked it up today. Maybe will get started on it tonight.
Hey CrashPro! I just stumbled onto this plane today while I was in Lancaster shooting a TV show. I went in to get some servos, saw this and bought it right away. Bad part was I forgot to get the servos I was originally going to the hobby store for. hehe I have the blue and yellow version. They both look really cool and I can't wait to build it. I might try and start this weekend. I'd like to see what you put in for a powerplant.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:08 AM
jimweda

ORIGINAL: CrashPro

Its gonna be awhile dragraces....I'm running into all kinds of problems. Just like my Bobcat, I turned the fuel tank around so the clunk would be in the rear,..problem with that tho is, that puts the fuel lines right in the way of the retract servo arm. I'm thinking maybe I will build servo trays in each wing for retract servos. The instruction manual is a joke...it shows the retract servos in the wings, but in actuality, its designed to have one retract servo in the fuse for the mains. If you get one of these you need to get the addendum from KMP...or you can get it from me.
Not sure what I'm gonna use for power, I've got a couple .46 FX's laying around, I might put one of those on it to start off with, then bump it up to a .61 or a .75.
You aren't kidding about the manual being a joke. I'll have to keep reading on and see if you come up with a solution for the retracts. I have the F-22 Raptor and I hate the fact that it doesn't have retracts. It fly's great, but with the wheels hanging down, it takes away from the looks. I didn't want to run into the same thing with this bird.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:38 AM
CrashPro

Hey jimweda

I never did find a retract that works for the front....also,..you'll need the adendum from KMP for the main retracts....or you can email me at [email protected] and I'll send it to you......I'll also send you some video of the plane that I don't have online anymore as I needed the webspace for other videos.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:38 AM
Peter A
My Feedback: (34)

I started building mine this morning. I installed the Behotec C21 retracts. I will also be converting it to electric.
As far as the vertical surface, I never like a plane without rudder and started modifying the Flycat by adding a functional rudder which should help increase the vertical surface as outlined earlier.

crashpro, I am not able to view your video clips, have they been removed from the site?

Regards
Peter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41789.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	811166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65340.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	811167  
Old 11-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Peter A

Increased the fin surface today by adding a working rudder.

Name:	Bz77389.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	811500  
Old 11-25-2007, 04:58 PM
CrashPro

ORIGINAL: EICAS

I started building mine this morning. I installed the Behotec C21 retracts. I will also be converting it to electric.
As far as the vertical surface, I never like a plane without rudder and started modifying the Flycat by adding a functional rudder which should help increase the vertical surface as outlined earlier.

crashpro, I am not able to view your video clips, have they been removed from the site?

Regards
Peter

Sorry Peter,...I needed the webspace for other videos.......here ya go..... http://home.dc.rr.com/maurie/Flycat3.wmv
Old 11-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Peter A

Thanks
Looks great
Old 04-23-2008, 12:20 AM
rifraff

heres mine i just put 4 flights on it this weekend and the CG was right on according to the manual. the first flight was a disaster because i had the CG in the wrong spot and on landing i ran out of elevator and almost turned it into a lawn dart,plus my motor kept overheating due to the location of the vertical stab and motor placement.well after some minor repairs and some major modifications to the engine mounting i tried again this week and it flew great. i also added more fliyng surfaces acording to previous threads and it did help but at low speeds it tends to rock back and forth i was thinking of adding some wing fences just like the mig 15 used to have on the upper wing,i believe they called them that, well heres the pics it was really sunny and i was using the cam on my cell,

motor OS 55
robart retracts

Name:	Hf98372.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	935058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39077.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	935059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52001.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	935060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le92461.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	935061  
Old 05-02-2008, 05:08 AM
bobbooty

I flew my Fly Cat twice. The first flight resulted in a hard landing because the plane does not like to make a downwind turn with the engine idling. The second flight resulted in a hard landing because the fuel line supplied in the kit broke. Do not use the fuel line supplied. I am going to use a three bladed prop (9X7). Would this be equivalent to a 11X7 two bladed prop? I have to say the plane is well built because it survived two very hard landings with minimal damage.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:50 PM
RacerRSX

I am putting mine together. Did anyone try this as an eletric?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rifraff

heres mine i just put 4 flights on it this weekend and the CG was right on according to the manual. the first flight was a disaster because i had the CG in the wrong spot and on landing i ran out of elevator and almost turned it into a lawn dart,plus my motor kept overheating due to the location of the vertical stab and motor placement.well after some minor repairs and some major modifications to the engine mounting i tried again this week and it flew great. i also added more fliyng surfaces acording to previous threads and it did help but at low speeds it tends to rock back and forth i was thinking of adding some wing fences just like the mig 15 used to have on the upper wing,i believe they called them that, well heres the pics it was really sunny and i was using the cam on my cell,

motor OS 55
robart retracts
what robarts did you use???
Old 09-02-2008, 09:45 PM
AKondor

Looking good guys!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Blade47

How about moving up in size ...this looks good...
http://www.kmp.ca/product_info.php?c...b17b7537f8fb9d
Old 09-03-2008, 07:39 PM
CrashPro

Re-post of video of the [link=http://www.cvrcclubvideos.us/Flycat%201.wmv]KMP Flycat[/link]
Old 09-05-2008, 10:11 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

nice video ...... seems like it flys well
Old 10-05-2008, 10:10 PM
lou1947

I just bought the 120 size flycat and would like to use my Saito 125. Wondering what pusher prop to use. I don't think that anything bigger than a 13 inch prop would work.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:41 AM
VeeAte

Just won one of these at an online auction.

Got an OS 46AX here. Will that push the FlyCat quick enough? Or would I be better off buying an OS 75AX or something for it?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2009, 12:44 PM
VeeAte

Ok I just re-read through the thread and noticed that there isnt enough room for much larger than a .46.

Mounted an SK .50 into it and a 10x8 prop. Will see how that goes.

One thing that annoys me, you have to pull the engine off the plane to change glow plugs. Thats gonna suck at the club..

I replaced the supplied metal clevises with Sullivan Gold'n'clevises and Dubro 2/56 ball links. And I installed Robart 1/8" hinge points. Also changed the stock wheels over to Dubro 3" rubber tyres all round.

Went with fixed gear as I run off a rough grass runway. I know I know it looks horrible in flight. But ya get that
The grass runway may see me change the prop over to a 9x7 3 blade.

I noticed that someone mentioned the CG was right on. Yet someone else said they needed a further oz in the nose to get it to balance.
Anyone got a measurement for what works the best?

The stock fuel tank stopper and fuel line is garbage. But this is the case for most cheap ARF's.

Anyone had any issues with the fixed landing gear blocks in the wings?
I reinforced them as best I could, but not a lot of room to work in there with only the square hatches cut out for the landing gear.

Also when you setup the nose gear do you set it up so the plane is level when sitting on the ground? Or have the nose a little high so that the nose wheel has pressure on it during roll out. Not sure if it would pop into the air prematurely with the nose a little high.

I know this is an old thread, but hoping someone has some more info on this plane. Not a great deal has been written about it.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:32 PM
CrashPro

Hey VeeAte

Not only would you have to pull the engine to replace the glow plug,.. there is no room to put an ignitor on it. I put a remote ignitor on mine.

Good luck
Old 04-25-2009, 01:51 PM
VeeAte

Thanks Crashpro.

I fitted a remote glow to mine as well. I will maiden mine on Monday or Tuesday so will report back on how I go.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:09 PM
VeeAte

Well mine is very nearly ready for its maiden.
I was going to cheap out and use the supplied fuel line, but after an engine test today I could see tiny air bubbles coming through the line from the tank end. So I replaced the line with some good quality stuff.

I had to place the 1400MaH 6v pack right up the front in the nose. I cut the bottom out of the first bay in the nose and filled the area with rubber padding them glued the hatch shut to hold the battery in place. My only concern is heat. I will have to keep the charge rate down I think.

I mounted the tank with the stopper pointing forwards. Opposite to the manual.

Sullivan remote glow installed.

I fuel proofed the engine area and tank area with Great Planes finishing resin.

I also epoxied the horizontal stabiliser onto the vertical as well as used the supplied bolts and some large washers I had on hand. I didnt like the stock way of fixing the tail with just two bolts. I cant see me ever needing to remove the T section of the tail for any reason.

I added a small amount of lead to the nose just behind the nose gear leg to balance the plane. I did this with a full tank. Is that correct?
Didnt want to fill the tank and immediately have a tail heavy plane on takeoff.

Oh by the way Crashpro. I came across the flight you did after the modifications.

Thought I would post it here for everyone to see.
http://www.cvrcclubvideos.us/Flycat3.wmv

Thanks for doing those vids and posting them on here. Its a great help to those of us who are following in your footsteps.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Dark Flyer

I have bought this plane and read all the threads i could on it,, so this is what i settled on. I went with the 9.6 cg location and I have an MDS 68 with an 11- 7 pusher prop. This aircraft did require some modifications to it as the instruction manual really sucks. You can go to www.myrconline.com where i have posted all my modifications and will place a video there of the flight. This is definitely not a beginners plane. Flying it on a a gray day all you see is a black sillouett. Landings are cool you have to bring it in under power then cut the power 3 feet or so from landing to get it to slow and land, a nose high landing looks really great. There is not much if any at all rudder control, a cross wind landing, well it is a challenge. I don't think I would try any acrobatics with it. I like the red and yellow fly cat because i am the only one at the filed with it and have the balls to fly it..LOL...
Old 02-13-2016, 04:58 PM
Zonker40

Default Just Got a new-to-me Fly Cat 46

Anyone still playing with the FlyCat 46? I picked up one a couple of months ago from a guy in my local club that tried to put two 90mm ducted fans on the back, but he had lots of troubles burning up an ESC trying to power two fans, then going to 2 ESC's and 2 sets of batteries which made the plane way too heavy. This one seems to come from FlyFly instead of KMP, but is probably the same plane - instructions are still messed up. I have put an ASP .52 2-C on mine and ended up with 3 retract servos. The mechanical retracts work very well. I also got a tongue muffler from Brodak, so nothing is pointing forward and it is lighter than a regular muffler. I wanted to put pilots in it, so I made three small floor sections that sit between the formers, and they just lift out. They fit tightly enough that they are not going to bounce around. After reading this thread, I made some tip fin extensions and a rudder extension which I can tape on at the field. I will do my maiden flight without them. I put in differential ailerons at 30% and will see how that works. I also put in some spoilerons which I will try out. The spoilerons work really well with my EF-1 planes which don't like to slow down much. I will post some pics to show the muffler, the cockpit, and my not-yet-taped on vertical surfaces. Manual says 255 mm for CG. Anyone played with moving that back farther? Oh, I also mounted the engine back far enough so my glow plug wrench and my DuBro glow plug fitting which I use with my flight box power panel will still be usable. I am going to try APC 10x6, 10x7, and 10x8 pusher props. I have been using APC pushers on my Zonker 40 and they give me better performance than any others that I have tried. Right now too cold and snowy to go fly.

ed.

Name:	IMG_1271.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	2147123   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1051.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	1,016.7 KB
ID:	2147124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1274.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	2147125   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1272.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	397.8 KB
ID:	2147126  

Last edited by Zonker40; 02-15-2016 at 09:35 AM.