Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

(Something Fast?) Delta Build Thread

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

(Something Fast?) Delta Build Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 09:10 PM
gooseF22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: (Something Fast?) Delta Build Thread

coming along.....

Hole in the back is the exhaust.

Under the cowling is a hole for intake cooling.

I may have to put a spoiler in front of exhaust....time will tell.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25400.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	881656  
Old 02-17-2008, 10:36 PM
iron eagel

Nice work goose!
Try a 1/16 to 1/8 inch high delta shaped dam forward of your vent. Just have it grow out of your decking in a gradual manner and it should not slow you down all that much.
I love your power setup (over a thousand watts) that ought to work very nice, sounds like it will jump into the air, as well as scream on those high speed runs. Lets see that is roughly 1 and 1/3 horsepower not bad for a little electric airplane.

Regards
Paul
Old 02-18-2008, 09:15 AM
acr007

MIke

After i lost my last delta to an rx failure in a low fast pass. I decieded to build a new version and here are some drawings so far. Having seen your latest bird i took a few bits and pieces of yours and incorporated them in mine. Hope you dont mind.

Here are a few RCCad drawings of the new Delta. It should be fast, just need to do some calculations to ensure the design is not nose heavy with engine in the front, but set back 3 to 4 inches as the wings are swept back bringing the c of g back as well.

Span 36"
Root Chord 20"
Tip Chord 6"
sweep 20"
Area 3.33ft2
AUW +- 36 to 40 ounces
oz/ft2 11 to 14

With this design the tuned pipe will extend to the rear edge of the wing thus no mess or goo all over my nice plane.

Colour scheme TBA and considering a dual rudder. The question i have always wanted to know is will a high speed delta with big control surfaces do a flat spin.....as well as go fast...

Engine MVVS Q500 and pipe with 8*8 to 8*10 prop.

Name:	Mj24613.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	882020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66494.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	882021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23596.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	882022  
Old 02-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: acr007

MIke

After i lost my last delta to an rx failure in a low fast pass. I decieded to build a new version and here are some drawings so far. Having seen your latest bird i took a few bits and pieces of yours and incorporated them in mine. Hope you dont mind.

The question i have always wanted to know is will a high speed delta with big control surfaces do a flat spin.....as well as go fast...
Not a problem for me. Yours looks somewhere between a delta and a flying wing. looks good so far.

large control surfaces and lots of throw should put a delta into a flat spin. I think the Outlaw will do it. My delta with dual rudders would not go into a flat spin but may if I increased the throws. It would snap but a delta resist stalling and even a regular spin was more flying in circles. A knife edge was possible.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:59 PM
gooseF22

First motor tests went well with the A123's in 6S on a 6x5.5 apc on the medusa 2500.

Mike, can you run the numbers and see what thrust and rpm you get?

The batteries will pull down to about 14 volts at this load?

I havent been able to borrow the amp meter lately. but soon.....

THe finishing touches are going on the airframe now, and it should get a cover job next week sometime. The plane is sitting at 2.5 lbs without covering. it hits 1:1 thrust at about 2/3 throttle.

we are going to light glass/CA the belly, the wingtips, and the rudder, and sweep the forward edge a little more to cut drag. The thin CA/weave is a bit lighter. more to follow.

I hope to maiden in about 3 weeks....been working alot.

We have three other delta designs that we flew last week too, a 24 inch, a 36 inch and a 48 inch. they all flew superbly. the 24 has a little hacker on it and it is about 100mph. the 36 inch has a 2200 kv three cell outrunner, and it goes about 80, and the big one has a 25 eflight outrunner with 4 cell and 12x7 prop, and it isn't too fast Yet. we are gong to upcell soon.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:23 PM
iron eagel

Goose sound like a winner with those A123's I love how you tucked them into the airframe. The glass CA combo ought to beef it up quite a bit for only a small amount of weight gain.
Good luck on your maiden flight.
Can't wait to hear your flight results.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Mike Connor

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

First motor tests went well with the A123's in 6S on a 6x5.5 apc on the medusa 2500...

Mike, can you run the numbers and see what thrust and rpm you get?

....it hits 1:1 thrust at about 2/3 throttle... and sweep the forward edge a little more to cut drag. ...I hope to maiden in about 3 weeks
ThrustHP, often better for comparison then actual data, shows a 6x5.5 prop would have to turn 25,500 rpm to generate 2.5 lbs of thrust. The medusa web site calculator shows a couple of thousand rpm less would get your there. I am not that good with the electric calculations yet.

You should be able to remove up to 10% of the vertical fin area and be fine. Any more then that is untested.

Yours should be quick to cover since it does not have a raised hatch. I cover mine in half a day but that is using three colors. I can cover the bottom in one color in about 15 minutes.

Looking forward to the maiden.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:56 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike and others,

The best prop/power/thrust calculator going is from Pe Reivers, he has done a ton of work on prop load factors and it gives results that are often only a few % off actual testing results.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/pereivers/Goodies.html

Also a simple muffler calculation utility as well.

Mark
Old 02-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Mike Connor

ORIGINAL: mmattockx

Mike and others,

The best prop/power/thrust calculator going is from Pe Reivers,

Mark
Thanks, That shows 21,000 rpm for 2.5 lbs of thrust.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Troy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Goose, I would be leary about using a 60 amp esc and a peak amp draw of 80 amps. The issue is that when running at partial throttle you actually heat the esc up more than when at full throttle. So most guys go with the minimum esc amp rating or higher if they know they are going to be flying a lot at part-throttle. The 60amp controller may take higher bursts but it may not like to run at 60 amps part throttle for an extended period of time. It really depends on how much they understate the amp ratings. I have used a castle 125 pulling 160 amps for 60 seconds of pylon racing but I know the same controller is used in F5B where they are pulling over 200 amps and 3000+ watts (in bursts). Just make adequate arrangements for cooling.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:02 PM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: Troy-RCU

Goose, I would be leary about using a 60 amp esc and a peak amp draw of 80 amps. The issue is that when running at partial throttle you actually heat the esc up more than when at full throttle. So most guys go with the minimum esc amp rating or higher if they know they are going to be flying a lot at part-throttle. The 60amp controller may take higher bursts but it may not like to run at 60 amps part throttle for an extended period of time. It really depends on how much they understate the amp ratings. I have used a castle 125 pulling 160 amps for 60 seconds of pylon racing but I know the same controller is used in F5B where they are pulling over 200 amps and 3000+ watts (in bursts). Just make adequate arrangements for cooling.
Yep, understand. it will be propped down later, and I will only be hitting it for a few seconds. more testing required. good cooling.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:07 PM
gooseF22

Extremers!!

I have a new project going for another client that wants to go 200 mph on electric on a delta. So. the only requisite is that we use A123 batteries.

The controller can be anything and the motor must be a NEU.

OK you smart prop guys......take Mike's design and its characteristics, and drag coeff's. with more swept winglets and help me get there.....

PROJECT 200MPH A123.

I am looking for combos that would work. We can run up to 12 A123's, for 30 volts under 75-80 amp load. . Is that enough power for a little delta? If not, we can double up for 100+ if needed.

I read somewhere about a pattern plane doing 230, but I cannot find the link, it had a NeU in it if I recall.

I am thinking to put the batteries down in the wing outside the main bay, so there will be no lifted fuselage, and the motor will have a good fairing around it.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:36 AM
Mike Connor

I read somewhere about a pattern plane doing 230, but I cannot find the link, it had a NeU in it if I recall.
Were you thinking about this electric Magnum?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_57...tm.htm#5789292
I will leave the electric setup to the electric experts.

Getting close to a maiden on your electric Demon?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:17 AM
gooseF22

Havent been able to cover it. the real job and a house sale are getting in the way. I could probably have it flying intwo days if Icould really concentrate onit.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:48 PM
FASTCRASHER

MIKE i love this plane!
id like to buy one ! send me a note 4 price please!
and gooseF22 well have u got it coverd yet, or mabe even flown it yet???
Old 05-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Mike Connor

PM sent
Old 05-08-2008, 04:29 PM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: FASTCRASHER

MIKE i love this plane!
id like to buy one ! send me a note 4 price please!
and gooseF22 well have u got it coverd yet, or mabe even flown it yet???
No, sorry, Ive been working on my jet and my showplane. I hope to get it done in the next month. It need glassing and covering and final assembly.

I had an issue with the power system. In my keekat with the same power system, I smoked an A123 battery lastnight really bad.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:12 PM
gooseF22

Mike.

Id like to suggest that the leading edge be modified from the balsa to a small Carbon rod. I did this to another design and it worked great and made the leading edge tougher.

Oh I forgot to mention that I broke the LE and had to repair.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Mike Connor

Mike.

Id like to suggest that the leading edge be modified from the balsa to a small Carbon rod. I did this to another design and it worked great and made the leading edge tougher.

Oh I forgot to mention that I broke the LE and had to repair.
I gave the leading edge a lot of thought and testing. While 1/4" balsa is fragile while it stands alone I found it very durable after the sheeting was installed. There has to be a balance between strength and weight. I could design it so you could walk on it without breaking it but it would be too heavy to fly. My four prototypes have landed hard and in brush many times without damage. The one that I crashed was used to test the strength of all parts of the airframe. The leading edge took amazingly strong blows and pressure with my hands before breaking. My thoughts are do not judge the strength of the airframe until is finished. until it is finished be careful.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:59 PM
ChuckL
My Feedback: (2)

The leading edge is plenty strong.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:34 PM
FASTCRASHER

thanks mike!
cant wate to get mine

gooseF22....OUTCH!
Old 05-15-2008, 03:40 PM
FASTCRASHER

hey mike i just got mine thank you!!

Id like to say..
the kit looks awsome! the wood is top notch,and the laser cuting is so good that the peaces fall right out!!
the plans look clear,and the manual is well writen with pics!!!
Im going to put progess pics on when i get started!![img][/img]

Name:	Ro41572.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	949983  
Old 05-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Mike Connor

Scott, Glad you got it in good shape. I have had excellent luck with USPS Priority Mail. Thanks for the kind words and post pictures.

I only have a couple of kits left and will take a break when they are gone. The last year has been a lot of fun but also a lot of work. Check out my site for remaining inventory and prices. www.mikesrc.us . If anyone would like to buy, borrow, steal or run the business just drop me an email with your thoughts.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:49 PM
evan-RCU

Mike where are you in Tulsa?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Mike Connor

15th and Lewis area for 20 years. Thinking about moving though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.