Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

(Something Fast?) Delta Build Thread

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

(Something Fast?) Delta Build Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 03:30 PM
ChuckL
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: (Something Fast?) Delta Build Thread

Hey Mike got the kit today looks real good. I layed the cowling from my Phenom on the plans and it looks like it may work needs a little repair work but no big deal. My 60LX fire should work out nicely.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: ChuckL

Hey Mike got the kit today looks real good. I layed the cowling from my Phenom on the plans and it looks like it may work needs a little repair work but no big deal. My 60LX fire should work out nicely.
If the Phenom cowl works it could save some time. I put a couple of extra sheets of balsa in yours for extending the tank area down. This one should look and fly really good.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:38 PM
iron eagel

Mike
I am going to build two versions...
One which is electric just to see what the result, the second I am going to try an OS 46 VX-DF that spins up to 28,000 rpm.
Cowled with a tuned pipe this ought to prove to be an interesting version.

If I get real ambitious blow up the plans and alike I may also try a ducted fan version with the dynamax 5.25 df driven by an OS 91 df.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Mike Connor

ORIGINAL: iron eagel

Mike
I am going to build two versions...
One which is electric just to see what the result, the second I am going to try an OS 46 VX-DF that spins up to 28,000 rpm.
Cowled with a tuned pipe this ought to prove to be an interesting version.

If I get real ambitious blow up the plans and alike I may also try a ducted fan version with the dynamax 5.25 df driven by an OS 91 df.
I am hoping the airframe is clean enough to take advantage of the small diameter high rpm df props. It couldn't be any worse then a Dust with a 7" prop clocked at 165 mph. Over time I plan to experiment with props down to a 8" diameter.

You got me thinking about rudders so I may have to work on that next. I think tilting the rudder servo so the linkage will go above the elevon linkage will work.

Attached are a few pictures of the electric motor mount. This one is set up for a motor up to 2" in diameter but it could be made wider. The mount could also be slid back to the firewall if needed for longer motors. This particular setup is using 1/2" balsa tri stock behind the mount for support and 1/4" in the other areas. I don't have much experience with electrics so does that look workable to you?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80874.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	728828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52778.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	728829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45150.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	728830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99991.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	728831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju14165.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	728832  
Old 07-23-2007, 08:27 PM
iron eagel

If yo plan to go with anything that approaches 1000 watts or better you may want to also glass the back of your mount and tristock to the fuselage. Keep in mind 750 watts is a 1hp motor. Larger electric motors can produce a lot of torque, more torque than a glow engine of equal size. On the flip side they produce a lot less vibration than a glow motor will, so you don't have to worry as much about mass dampening of the vibration. One consideration is you need airflow though the brush less motor and good airflow over your ESC, electrics in this range produce a lot of heat.
I am going to extend the hatch and compartment back to just forward of the control surfaces, I want to leave a 1/4 inch high opening across the rear of the compartment as a cooling exit for mine. I am also going to do the engine mount similar to yours but drill a hole though the center of the firewall to allow airflow back through the fuselage and vent it in the rear.
Now as far as the rudder I am going to move the servo forward and up. By doing this I hope to be able to run to control rods off of each side of the servo out to rudders. Chuck Esh used a similar setup on his Starliner canard he used two carbon fiber rods with ball links at each end to drive the two angled fin rudders on his design.
Using electrics give me the advantage in of playing with the battery location in order to balance the airframe. Either way being an engineer we can't build anything without trying to improve it.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:42 PM
ZeppelinIII

Mike,

Sorry for the confusion, I haven't updated my info here yet. I received the one that you shipped to NH.

Everything looks great. light ply a little squirrely, but I've never been able to get that stuff straight. It should straighten out on the spare. You asked for comments so here's one: The instructions were a nice touch, I wasn't expecting them. While they do a nice job laying out the steps, it would be easier to read, at least for me, if you broke up the long paragraphs into more shorter ones. Just a thought. Kit looks nice and all the materials looks to be excellent quality.

planning on putting in the 50SX with Macs muffler that came off my dust. Won't be as fast as the 60, but should be quick enough for now.

I have the ribs on the CF spars, a little more work to get everything square and then hit it with some CA...

Zep
Old 07-23-2007, 10:20 PM
Mike Connor

Paul,
The pictures of the electric mount are sequence shots with the last picture showing all the tri stock in place. Actually there is no glue yet since I will have to move the mount back some after getting exact dimensions of the motor. And yes, I keep trying to forget about cooling for electric motors. Your thoughts sound good.

Mounting the servos behind the rear spar is an option even though it is getting a little thin back there. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your electric motor, battery and rudder setup.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Mike Connor

Zep,
I am taking notes of peoples thoughts and will try to correct anything that will make things easier. Someone else asked if there was a top and bottom and the answer is no. Not until you add the wing tips, vertical fin support or hatch.

Finding lite ply, or even aircraft ply, over 22 inches long with no warp is tough. None of the distributors will guarantee straight plywood. My prototype was built with the worst of everything to make sure there would not be a problem. As the plans suggest, turn the ribs so they bow towards the center. The engine mount and spars will pretty much hold things in place but small adjustments may be needed at the trailing edge.

The 50 SX should pull it around nicely. My stock thunder tiger got a lot of people attention.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:36 PM
ChuckL

Mine is framed up to the point of the center section and sheeting super simple to build so far. Everything fits together real nice, I put a layer of CF on the top and bottom of the motor mount which is what I always do on a DD. I'll try to get some pictures not much time I'm in the middle of a remodel job on the kitchen also, so I'm just building on breaks.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:02 AM
acr007

Mike

An E version of your plane sounds good.

I built an eversion of my IC delta but a smaller version.

Span 27"
Chord 22"
2 * Hitech MG81's
Mega 16/15/3
4.1*4.1 prop
2 * 2S1P 2500 20c lipos flight power.

Top speed about 150 it is fast and light. A couple of pics.

Plesae build the e version would like to see how it turns out.

Name:	Ol31196.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	729036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17546.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	729037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38039.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	729038  
Old 07-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Mike Connor

ORIGINAL: acr007

Plesae build the e version would like to see how it turns out.
I am looking at the best way to build an E-Demon but it may be awhile before that project gets my full attention. Paul (iron eagel) will probably be first with electric.

I have an idea! you could order one and make it electric.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:24 PM
ChuckL

I haven't had much time to work on this but here is what I have so far. Jett 60LX, Jet 6oz short tank, HS5625s all mounted will build bottom and top hatch around them now that they are all mounted.

Name:	Jh15245.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	730525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72860.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	730526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23563.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	730527  
Old 07-26-2007, 10:47 PM
iron eagel

Looks like it will fly as it sits. lol
Mike was looking for a record breaker, we may be seeing one come to be here!
Old 07-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Mike Connor

I am really excited about this one as it will be a record breaker for a Screamin Demon. This FIRE setup will really look good when finished. There is one more 60LX being built but I am not sure if it is a FIRE and I have not received a progress report. A side exhaust sure is easy but the FIRE looks too good. I wish I could be there for the maiden with my video camera. My prototype will look pretty slow compared to this.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:10 AM
ChuckL

Here is a picture of a finished fin with CF on both sides, It would be a very good idea to do this to your fins. The clipped DD kit added this mod to the design and it makes the fins very strong. I have never broke a fin without it by flying but I have broke them very easily by bumping them while handling the plane.

Name:	Us54751.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	730751  
Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

that is coming together very nicely there Chuck......
Old 07-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Mike Connor

I have never had any problems with the vertical fins on my Dust or this plane but reinforcing wouldn't hurt, especially if the balsa is light. I hate when something breaks because of handling it wrong. I often pick mine up by one fin but would not want to apply any side pressure. My prototype came out nose heavy so reinforcing the tail would be better then adding lead. I am curious to see how this FIRE balances.

When I add rudders to one I will probably laminate the 1/8" balsa fins or fiberglass for added strength. The vertical fin support balsa was a little lighter then I wanted but I did not reinforce or fiberglass on the prototype and it turned out surprisingly strong.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:14 PM
ChuckL

The only problem I have had with the fins was when they were bumped from the side, it really doesn't take much to break or crack them and they are a pain to replace. I have never had a flight failure reinforced or not. The extra five minutes work is well worth it in my opinion and a thin layer of CF adds almost nothing to the weight. It is a little early on the balance but so far it seems like it will be fairly close.

Thanks Bob
Old 07-27-2007, 09:21 PM
ChuckL

Here are some views of the extended bottom which is needed for pipe clearance. The nose still needs some shaping and a spacer on the nose ring to tighten the gap between it and the the Jett spinner that will go on it.

Name:	Ay75953.jpg
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	731037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13943.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	731038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51446.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	731039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77981.jpg
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	731040  
Old 07-28-2007, 12:31 AM
Mike Connor

From the looks of the pictures it appears you dropped down enough to leave the fuel tank and other equipment at or below the rib tops. plenty of room for the pipe that way. The extended bottom should also help prevent covering tears during landing.

Was the engine mount not long enough for a nose ring and spinner match? I had room to spare with a TT Pro 46.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:55 AM
ChuckL

You are right Mike everything is flush with the top of the ribs. I will have to add some to the nose, I cut the mount back as far as I could and still have some mount left behind the engine. I glued the extended side to the outside of the ribs and glued a 1/8 sqaure balsa strip the contour of the rib for the sheeting to attach to, there wasn't much room for full size servos so that gave me just a little extra clearance between th arms.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Mike Connor

With the TT Pro 46 there was still about 1/4" of the engine mount before the tri stock reinforcement began. The Jett must be longer. My mount is almost an inch longer the the Dust mount. Even with your other projects it is coming along good.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:56 PM
ChuckL

Thats about where I quit cutting about 1/4" from the tri stock I didn't want to take any more out of the mount.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:05 AM
ChuckL

I cut the engine mount back to the tri angle stock today and the engine mount seems just as strong as before, this gave me just enough that the spinner will be flush with the nose ring with no additional spacer needed.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Mike Connor

I think it will be fine. From a structural strength stand point I would think that less area between the engine and the reinforced tri stock area would be good. Vibrating or flexing engine mounts rob power also

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.