Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Mini Magnum?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 04:16 PM
corey-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Magnum?

Weston uk used to sell the magnum and "mini" magnum as kits but now they don't make the mini magnum and the large magnum is now an arf. I would really like to build a mini magnum and was wondering if anyone would be able to hook me up with a copy of the plans?
Old 03-10-2003, 05:16 PM
RampRat

Default Mini Magnum?

A Mini Magnum? Do they come even smaller???
Old 03-10-2003, 09:13 PM
Gricey

Default Mini Magnum?

I'd be keen on arf 50% Magnum, one that runs a .25........ would look pretty damn cool and be loads of fun.

The original magnum was a slightly different design to the one that sells now. Maybe they could upgrade the mini Magnum though?

A guy at my field thinks the Magnum is great but would like on in a .60 size as he feels it's too small to be seen properly. Imagine it 25% bigger and a .90 with tuned pipe 12*12 prop.... lookout!
;-)
Old 03-10-2003, 09:14 PM
Gricey

Default Mini Magnum?

Come to think of it, don't know that you can get scimitar props in 12*12..... would be some kind of decapitator though....
Old 03-10-2003, 09:37 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Default Mini Magnum?

I've never even heard of a mini Magnum.. i designed something like one... but ummm if you mail Alan theres a slim chance he might have something kicking around, but personaly i'd just shrink one down by 20% ( at the most ) and just put pen to paper.
I dont think you'd be disapointed if you put a West 36 in one tho.. so much lighter its not gonna be slow.
BalsaCabin sell the Demon which was the pre-runner to the Magnum.. if you got a plan for that a scaled down version is only a button press away.
http://www.zyworld.com/balsacabin/Page3.htm
Old 03-10-2003, 09:52 PM
Cactus.

Default Mini Magnum?

tell ya what i do have...
A UK mag Model Flyer did a plan called Micro Hawk, its meant for .049's, i think a 10 at most.. but its a dead ringer for the Magnum and could be easily scaled up. I cant find any pics or the mag, i have draws of them, hard to find anything, but i'll keep looking
Old 03-11-2003, 09:20 AM
Gricey

Default Mini Magnum?

cool, have emailed Alan, lets see what comes back.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Gricey

Default Mini Magnum?

Got a response, they said they were interested in doing a Mini Magnum a while back but it never happened.

My thoughts are that the .40 ARTF class is becoming very crowded and .60 is not far behind. I'd like to see a .25 ARTF class come online and what better plane to lead the way than Mini Magnum....

Obviously if you want a small plane it should be small and nippy so the Magnum is a nice fit. Throw some ideas together on this thread and I'll collate them and email them back in a week and lets see what response is out there. I would suggest using the following criteria:

* Length
* Wingspan
* ARTF or Kit
* Engine size
* Colour scheme
* Other

my suggestion would be:

* Length: 65% of original
* Wingspan: 65% of original
* ARTF
* .18 or .25 with genesis (short) pipe
* Colours: Euro flag design
* Other: mini servos allround but one for each airleron.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:17 PM
Cactus.

Default Mini Magnum?

heres a micro hawk as my input... tho 65% of a Magnum is far to small, 20, maybe 30% if your nuts is small enough.
i'd keep it exactly the same colours too.
you would only need one mini for the ailerons, the new sd250's have more go than a 3003!!! i also susgest keeping the wing loading lighter than the 50 size, you'll want a better glide on the smaller plane.
The micro hawk only need to be slightly bigger to be fine for 25 use, the current Magnum is still small enough for the 36 size engines.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	62101_743.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	38104  
Old 03-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Cactus.

Default Mini Magnum?

Heres a fuzzy pic of the plan with a Magnum wing, something between the two is about right.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	62102_743.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	38105  
Old 03-11-2003, 04:20 PM
corey-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Default Mini Magnum?

The mini magnum was for a .12-.17 size engine or something like that and it had a wingspan of 25", it would of been perfect for an O.S .15cva and pipe! I would also like to build a monster magnum for my 3W-50 engine with pipe!
Old 03-11-2003, 04:26 PM
Cactus.

Default Mini Magnum?

The Micro hawk is 24"
it has just over 1.1/4" inch between the fuz sides in the nose.
fast 15 is the most i'd dare put in this plane ( after skinning the wing ), but boy would it be fast
Old 03-11-2003, 05:27 PM
Gricey

Default Mini Magnum?

I meant 65% of the size of a current Magnum not 65% smaller (you would never see it) and you'd have to run a .08 with no carby etc. :-)

The colours are good alright...

Euro flag might be hard to see as well, all that blue.

Get everyone you can to reply to this forum and then we'll have some market test data (or at least an indication) for Weston to look at. The easiest way is if they produce a kit or ARTF as they have all of the designs/algorithms/measurements etc. Just get everyone to reply to the criteria so that we have a complete set of results.

I will go off now and pitch to Ramprat etc.

cheers!

Gricer
Old 03-11-2003, 06:24 PM
Cactus.

Default Mini Magnum?

I did actually get what you meant, i think a 65% "of" is far too small, which is why i suggest 20% smaller, 35% smaller is getting pretty tiny,i think the Micro Hawk is even bigger than that
My own design "DD" ( not Dust ) wasn't that small but the wing loading was far too high, would have been good on a 25 tho
The Euro flag might also suck ( sorry, hate the Euro idea )
i think the pitch should be scale it down to 20 and under size, 25 if your from this club with a slight lower wing loading, what ever % that comes out as. they've done it in the past with the great Tigershark. umm i liked the F1 colours they had..
I think there might be a West in the pipeline that will slot right in. how fortunate
Old 03-11-2003, 06:30 PM
Gricey

Default Mini Magnum?

Sounds good. You may have to evaluate your Euro opinion though.... ;-) Slightly outnumbered there.

F1 colours.... interesting, a limited run from different teams...eg. .Ferrari, Toyota, Jordan etc..they'd certainly have the right colours.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:35 PM
RampRat

Default Mini Magnum?

....and here goes:

I wouldn't mind a smaller Magnum (I wouldn't mind an even bigger one as well with a OS .91 DF up front, but let's not get carried away).

I like the current colourscheme. It has a "quick" look to it, and it's pretty much easy to see in the air.
As for size, 65-75% of the current model seems good to me, and i would consider going electric as an alternative to a .25-32 size glow-engine.

...and it would have to be an ARTF... I love ARTF's!

..if i would buy it? Certainly!
Old 03-11-2003, 07:37 PM
rcflyers

Default Mini Magnum?

"BalsaCabin sell the Demon which was the pre-runner to the Magnum"

Yeah right!

The weston Magnum was a direct bloody copy of the Balsa cabin demon!
Old 03-11-2003, 08:28 PM
Gricey

Default Mini Magnum?

Hi rcflyers,

Maybe BalsaCabin might sieze the opportunity then and kit a Mini Demon. Do you have a contact there that would listen and comment?
Old 03-11-2003, 09:04 PM
RampRat

Default Mini Magnum?

Maybe it's just me, but i fail to see how the Magnum is a copy of the Demon. http://www.balsacabin.co.uk/page_1/body_page_1.html

The fuselage looks wider, especially at the tail (They managed to fit a tailcone after all.), and the fuselage looks lower than the Magnum's...
Old 03-11-2003, 09:19 PM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

Default Mini Magnum?

Gricey

Thanks for the PM I would be interested in a 25 size version of this plane. I like a small plane that fits in the trunk ready to go charge fuel and fly! I Saw the larger version a few years ago and started to scratch build one for my self unfortunately I got side tracked with life and other projects. Let me know if you are able to get this accomplished I would be interested. KCFlyBoy
Old 03-11-2003, 09:38 PM
roywiglesworth

Default Mini Magnum?

i'd ;ike to have one about the size of my shrike but i'd also like to have one the size of my bizzy bee (96'') but i don't know what
motor i could stick on it that would be big but still turn up 20k plus
to give me the speed i have a brison 4.2 on the the bee but its
only about 7k guess i would have to do some motor searching
but at that size it would look allsome doing a low fly by full throtle.

roy
Old 03-11-2003, 10:34 PM
Cactus.

Default Mini Magnum?

You'll find the Demon designer right here on RCU, tho i wouldn't want a 25 version, the normal one glides like a brick.
exactly like the first Magnum which was a copy despite the slightly different lines, now its ARTF and foam winged its much different.
Anyways yes to ARTF and i've got a little homeless Magnum 21 until i fix the Shrike or Weston give me a Prototype Mini Magnum to play with Jordan colours please, the old Tigersharks looked great F1 Style. A one piece "bootable" ( trunkable for the US ) plane this size would be nice.
I really hope i don't miss out on something great while I'm away next week, this has the potential to go all the way!
As for electric, i wanna temp Alan into trying a full size Maggers with one of his motors, 20+k is a no brainer to a motor. as for breaking props when you land i've though of that and solved already, even the ESC brake wont stop the prop in the right place.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:54 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Mini Magnum?

Originally posted by roywiglesworth
i'd ;ike to have one about the size of my shrike but i'd also like to have one the size of my bizzy bee (96'') but i don't know what
motor i could stick on it that would be big but still turn up 20k plus
to give me the speed i have a brison 4.2 on the the bee but its
only about 7k guess i would have to do some motor searching
but at that size it would look allsome doing a low fly by full throtle.

roy
Zinger makes a 22-32 (!!) prop if I'm not mistaken... stick that onto a ZDZ 160 and mount the combo onto the appropriate airframe and you've got speed... even at 7K rpm... I've actually been thinking about this... (note the word thinking )
Old 03-12-2003, 07:03 AM
johnd

Default Mini Magnum?

the mini magnum you are thinking of is the tiger shark big and small never made a mini magnum a small one should be a laugh but seeing it is a different matter the big one gets away from you pretty quickly but yeh would be interested don't think they would make one though it would be left up to you and the magnum did come from the demon they all don't look like the one on the site a bloke at our club made one look alot better and had a foam wing cut for him and alan saw it and flew it then along came the magnum with foam removable wing what a coincidence
Old 03-12-2003, 08:18 AM
Gricey

Default Mini Magnum?

Nice one KCF, I think your comments pretty well sum up the beauty of the small sports plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.