Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Merline glow plugs?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Merline glow plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Flying freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merline glow plugs?

Hi

noticed that the jetts now come with merlin glow plugs anyone ahve any experince with them? is it worth ordering some or should i just use some os 8?

Steven
Old 08-09-2007, 12:31 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Merline glow plugs?

FF:

I have used them for some time, ususally purchased in some quanity like 10-15. My first batch was fine, equal to or better than the OS 8 which has been a favorite plug for 2 stokes for years. I purchased 15 along with a second 60LX. Plug that came with the engine was fine through the break-in period. On the next club race day, I replaced the plugs in my 3 racers intended for use that day and in two newby buddies planes. Did not get more than one run on any of the plugs, and in several cases, not even a start, all 15 went south leaving us scrambeling around and bumming plugs. Fortunately had severas OS 8's in the box, used them with no problems.

I mentioned this in a comment, and was supprised when Bob B. chimed in and asked me to send the plugs in either to Dub or Merlin for evaluation with the direction of replaceing them. Naturally I chucked each plug in the trash and did not have any to return. I feel every manufacturer may get a bad run of product from flaws not of their making on occasion. This was the first time anyone offered to replace their product without making a fuss. I would have sent them back for replacement if they were available. Probably would have been 10,000 claims from others looking to get their 10 year old plugs replaced for free, did not want to go there.

Yes, have ordered another batch from Dub Jett, I trust his integrity, knowledge, and directions above anyone in the field I know, and have the pleasure in dealing with. Dub says the plugs are among the best, period. Now, if this next batch of plugs are bad, I will be letting everyone know the score. It's not the cost of the plug that would upset me, its the cost in racing points at the end of the season. Lost the club championship in our open class last year by 1 point, for the first time in a number of years. You can imagine my reaction to a plug DNS, at the cost of 5 points. Worlds worst terrible looser, bah, spit, curse ect. Its now 9 months later, and still get mad at the tought. Character flaw for sure!!!! ENJOY
Old 08-10-2007, 11:44 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

The OS #8 plug is sometimes too cold for a few of the Jett engines to run on. OS A3 or A5 are actually better. Usually the #8 will work in the sport jett engines, but if there is any hint of transition issues...... the plug is at fault.

Most of the Jett engines require a HOT glow plug. K&B1-L had been the baseline for quite a while. Rossi 2 and 3, McCoy56, others similar to that work well. On the 90LX engines we also recommend the OS-F plug.... the 4-c plug is very hot.

The Merlin Hot and Hot HD that Jett offers are well matched for the engines. In particular the post seals are some of the best in the business.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Flying freak

If it requires a hot plug why is a cold merlin supplied with the engine [&:] looking at merlins site blue= cold and its definitly blue