Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Patriot XL clone project

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Patriot XL clone project

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Team_Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot XL clone project

Hello gents,
I have a scratch built Patriot XL clone on the drawing board (actually in CAD) and have a couple questions for the experienced XL guys.
I've gone through many searches here and popped a few threads into my favorites folder for future reference. Being a SPAD guy at heart it will be made from coroplast. If you think SPADs are only flying boxes for combat, you haven't seen what we've been up to.

The goal here is to make a semi speedy plane with off the shelf or LHS items for minimum dough and time, but maximum fun. I've always liked the looks of the Patriot kits so why not make my own? If it will do 100MPH great, that'd be plenty. I have short access to my field so I'll need to be able to slow down anyway. oh, I realize it'd go faster if I made it the 40 size, but I like a bit larger planes.
The attached pic shows the stock model on the left and my plan is on the right. That's an overview shot and still shows the engine upright, not side mounted.

Project Summary:
- Massed to basically match original dim's
- 10% chord thickness, symmetrical airfoil
- retracts
- .75 or .90 commodity engine (Tower .75, ST .90)
- Heat formed Coke bottle cowl and canopy (Although I did see some nice balsa cowls in the threads)

Questions:
- What is the split between aileron and flap? It's not given in the manual.
- Would flaperons function as well or does it need that much roll authority on landing?
- Has anyone run a single servo for elevator and just used two Gold-N-Rod cables?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21865.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	785385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61888.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	785386  
Old 10-18-2007, 09:47 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: Patriot XL clone project

Sounds like a fun project

Keep it simple. Skip the flaps ... not really needed. Save on the servos/weight/complexity
Flapperons are not really needed either. If anything, slight spoileron might be considered.

Single servo on elevator is possible. Use a Y-pushrod. Will require optimized elevator servo location to get the right angles.

You are on the right track. Shoot for something that weighs in around 8lbs. The above will get you 3 servos (5-6oz) on your way...

On the cowling... use wood... old Super Kaos style. Wood blocks and a plywood spinner ring. There is a Patriot in the jett Hall of Fame prop jet page with a wood front end. Looks better, durable, and you wont have to mold it. Although with plastic structure, that might not be practicle.

Bob
Old 10-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Team_Monkey

Default RE: Patriot XL clone project

Thanks for the info Bob, looks like I'm just South of ya. Maybe we can fly some time.

I've seen your helpful posts on many Patriot threads, glad to have you pop in here too.

The flutes in the coro solved my elevator issue. I can still have the angled tail but have a straight hinge line. If I solder up a torque tube deal, I can easily use one elevator servo. I'll have to attach the pic in the first post.

Everything else is pretty easy construction. I've got a couple models to finish before tackling this one but she'll be done by spring.